Hello from a new person

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Transit_of_Io
Established Member

Hello from a new person

Post by Transit_of_Io »

I'm Danny, long-time lurker, and I'm beyond-words happy to have found the Linux/libre way of making music.

I play music on computer keyboards, which works well if you use more than one, and add in some soft faders on android devices. I made a Pure Data patch for using multiple keyboards like that, which I'm glad to share if anybody is interested. I definitely owe the community.

If I had known it was going to get this deep I'd have kept a list of names, but I got a lot of gratitude and for now will just address it to all y'all.

Thanks, y'all!

I look forward to finally contributing what I can.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Hello from a new person

Post by Basslint »

Thank you for finally joining! Welcome :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Welcome @Transit_of_Io! :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Welcome! A PureData man, no less. Do you use the Vanilla version of Pd? Were you disappointed when Pd-extended stopped? Or are you new to Pd and have you never used the "extended" version?
Transit_of_Io
Established Member

Post by Transit_of_Io »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:33 am Welcome! A PureData man, no less. Do you use the Vanilla version of Pd? Were you disappointed when Pd-extended stopped? Or are you new to Pd and have you never used the "extended" version?
Thank you!

I switched to Purr Data about six months ago because I kept having to add things to Vanilla to get my sprawling patches to work. Haven't had to add an external since. Never did get to try Extended, but from what I've gathered so far, Purr has all the extra stuff.

I haven't worked with audio in pd much at all yet, and should get deeper into that before I stop feeling wet behind the ears. I use it for turning keyboard events into MIDI, for routing CCs from the Androids to control the keyboards, and then a hot mess of Ardour/Carla/plugins to generate the sounds. Also using it with scripts for session management. OSC is on hold until my network knowledge catches up.

Which version(s) do you use?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I've tried to use Pd Vanilla one or twice. It's great software to make your own specialized stuff, but there's also a lot of VST's that can do what I want. And I like physical synthesizer hardware.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Welcome :)