Reaper vs Ardour?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Re: Reaper vs Ardour?

Post by Largos »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am
lilith wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:20 pm
anli wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:32 am Hi! What do you think has Ardour 7 reached REAPER's level on MIDI editing?
No, not at all.
Does that mean that Ardour is still developing the part of their DAW that deals with Midi? I'n not gonna use a product that's still in development. I ain't no beta tester.
better get off linux then :lol:
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am I'n not gonna use a product that's still in development. I ain't no beta tester.
There is three kind of software:
- So old, for old platform or something that nobody develops it
- Software that has been developed long and so badly that nobody dares to touch code
- Software that is still developed

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Largos wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am Does that mean that Ardour is still developing the part of their DAW that deals with Midi? I'n not gonna use a product that's still in development. I ain't no beta tester.
better get off linux then :lol:
Hmmmmm. Lots of Linux stuff is being actively developed, but I don't feel like a beta tester in Chrome, Libre Office, Qtractor, etc., etc.
tavasti wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:34 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am I'n not gonna use a product that's still in development. I ain't no beta tester.
There is three kind of software:
- So old, for old platform or something that nobody develops it
- Software that has been developed long and so badly that nobody dares to touch code
- Software that is still developed
There's also developed, completely ready, stable software that's been used for years and still "supported". However, instead of "supported" they use the term "actively developed". But if Midi is not completely developed and implemented in its final stable form in a DAW then I feel like a tester, not a user. And they ask money for that from Windows users?

I think that Midi is probably reasonably well implemented in Ardour, but I think it ain't no advertisement for Linux if Linuxers think that Midi ain't completely implemented in it's final form yet in a (Linux) DAW.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am
lilith wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:20 pm
anli wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:32 am Hi! What do you think has Ardour 7 reached REAPER's level on MIDI editing?
No, not at all.
Does that mean that Ardour is still developing the part of their DAW that deals with Midi? I'n not gonna use a product that's still in development. I ain't no beta tester.
Not really, but Reaper midi editor offers much more options and customization. Bitwigs editor is also very basic and comparable to Ardours. Still people use Bitwig :D
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Reaper became much easier for me after I sorted through a ton of reaper themes, and found a few that clicked with me.The defaults tool icons are borderline gibberish to me. None of the other linux daws can be customized like Reaper. None of them reach the breadth of audience that Reaper does. And none of them are as easy to use when setting up a new project with audio, midi, and a variety of plugin formats.

Most linux daws have something worth keeping them installed. Reaper seems to have all those bases covered,
so I don't yet need anything else. But they are ready, just in case.
Cheers
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:32 pm .... but I think it ain't no advertisement for Linux if Linuxers think that Midi ain't completely implemented in it's final form yet in a (Linux) DAW.
Noone said that, you misunderstood what was said and started running with your own erroneous narrative.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Largos wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:12 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:32 pm .... but I think it ain't no advertisement for Linux if Linuxers think that Midi ain't completely implemented in it's final form yet in a (Linux) DAW.
Noone said that, you misunderstood what was said and started running with your own erroneous narrative.
You are right, principally, but you could have said that in a slightly more polite way in my opinion. :wink:

Some posters [edit: one of 'm appears to be you] here started to joke about software "never" being fully developed as an answer to my question. A joke every now and than ain't no problem of course but if they come in place of a serious, nuanced, answer we have a problem. In the joke there's a truth somewhere and it's not exactly nuanced and runs away in a certain direction. [edit: it appears you yourself are to be blamed for said "running with [...] erroneous narrative"]