[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.8.1

Post by robbert-vdh »

This is another small bugfix release with changes that have been gathering dust on the master branch for a while. I just did not have the time to release an update, until now. The changes in this update are mostly fixes targeted at specific misbehaving plugins.

The full changelog with all fixes and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.8.1
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.8.1

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:42 pm This is another small bugfix release with changes that have been gathering dust on the master branch for a while. I just did not have the time to release an update, until now. The changes in this update are mostly fixes targeted at specific misbehaving plugins.

The full changelog with all fixes and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.8.1
Totally off topic. I see that you made some changes so that it'll work under Crostini (= Linux) on a Chromebook. Is it possible yet to access hardware like an external USB audio device from Crostini? With out an audio device it's hard making music in a DAW. If I'm not mistaken then full blown Linux with a desktop environment will run on a Cromebook/Crostini, however you can forget about accessing hardware like an audio device. Am I right?
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:25 am Totally off topic. I see that you made some changes so that it'll work under Crostini (= Linux) on a Chromebook. Is it possible yet to access hardware like an external USB audio device from Crostini? With out an audio device it's hard making music in a DAW. If I'm not mistaken then full blown Linux with a desktop environment will run on a Cromebook/Crostini, however you can forget about accessing hardware like an audio device. Am I right?
I have no idea, I don't own a Chromebook myself. I just made this change because someone reported an issue trying to use yabridge on their Chromebook.
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

Hello!
Where can i get a 32bit yabridge build? the ones on automated builds page don`t seem to be downloadable, at least not for as lame one as me:)
Cheers and thanks for the great work.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Vrangor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:53 pm Hello!
Where can i get a 32bit yabridge build? the ones on automated builds page don`t seem to be downloadable, at least not for as lame one as me:)
As mentioned in the readme, you need to be logged in to GitHub in order to download files from GitHub Actions. You can also download them from the linked nightly.link page. What do you need a 32-bit build for? The only reason they exist on the CI is for @GMaq's EnergyXT setup, which only exists as a 32-bit application on Linux. There's also no 32-bit yabridgectl binary on the CI for that same reason.
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:00 pm
Vrangor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:53 pm Hello!
As mentioned in the readme, you need to be logged in to GitHub in order to download files from GitHub Actions. You can also download them from the linked nightly.link page. What do you need a 32-bit build for? The only reason they exist on the CI is for @GMaq's EnergyXT setup, which only exists as a 32-bit application on Linux. There's also no 32-bit yabridgectl binary on the CI for that same reason.
Yeah, i know. Lately i try to reinvent my old Dell d610 32bit Pentium M powered, and make some kind of "portastudio" out of it. Problem is my favourite compressor and eq are winVSTs:)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@Vrangor

I have a complete 32bit functioning Yabridge environment on a set of ISO's I've been working on:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24309 *note everything syncs and status comes back OK but I have not tested in a 32bit DAW with this ISO yet..

For this setup I used Robbert's yabridge 32 bit binaries you have already discussed above and I compiled yabridgectl 3.8.1 in my 32bit 'Mother' VM which required me to download and install Rust: https://www.rust-lang.org/tools/install

If you are not comfy with compiling or just want an easy way to try it I can share my 32bit yabridgectl 3.8.1 binary..
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

GMaq wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:23 pm @Vrangor

I have a complete 32bit functioning Yabridge environment on a set of ISO's I've been working on:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24309 *note everything syncs and status comes back OK but I have not tested in a 32bit DAW yet..

For this setup I used Robbert's yabridge 32 bit binaries you have already discussed above and I compiled yabridgectl 3.8.1 in my 32bit 'Mother' VM which required me to download and install Rust: https://www.rust-lang.org/tools/install

If you are not comfy with compiling or just want an easy way to try it I can share my 32bit yabridgectl 3.8.1 binary..
I`d appreciate it a lot! To be honest i`d probably could compile it somehow, but i`m not sure if my "project" will be worth the time and irritation needed for it.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Vrangor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:36 pm I`d appreciate it a lot! To be honest i`d probably could compile it somehow, but i`m not sure if my "project" will be worth the time and irritation needed for it.
OK, here is the whole folder, you should just need to extract and copy the entire 'yabridge' folder contained in the zip to ~/.local/share/ then sync and be good to go...(hopefully)

http://bandshed.net/packages/MXDE/yabridge-32bit.zip
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

Vrangor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:36 pm
GMaq wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:23 pm @Vrangor

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24309 *note everything syncs and status comes back OK but I have not tested in a 32bit DAW yet..
I`m totally with You on that post:) My d610 is in such a good shape, that i`d love to use it for somehow. And the best kind of somehow would be creating music. Although my aim is even more simple: pure Debian11 with only X11, jackd and wine, extremley "local" kernel with rt patch (that kind of compile i can perform;) ), booting straight to 8 track sesion template on Reaper or Ardour. Just as i said, some kind of "portastudio".
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

GMaq wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:48 pm
Vrangor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:36 pm I`d appreciate it a lot! To be honest i`d probably could compile it somehow, but i`m not sure if my "project" will be worth the time and irritation needed for it.
OK, here is the whole folder, you should just need to extract and copy the entire 'yabridge' folder contained in the zip to ~/.local/share/ then sync and be good to go...(hopefully)

http://bandshed.net/packages/MXDE/yabridge-32bit.zip
Thank You a lot!:)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

No problem, I just happened to be doing the same thing at the same time.. :D Please let me know if it works OK!
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

@GMaq
scrn.jpg
scrn.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
WORKS!
As far now on MATE, std kernel, pulseaudio and one stereo track. So far so good:)

@GMaq, @robbert-vdh Thank You both very much.
Cheers!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Vrangor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:17 pm Yeah, i know. Lately i try to reinvent my old Dell d610 32bit Pentium M powered, and make some kind of "portastudio" out of it. Problem is my favourite compressor and eq are winVSTs:)
I did the same thing to my good ol' Asus eeePC 901 which is also 32 bit! Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Atom 1.6 MHz (32 bit)
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • Storage: 4 GB + 8 GB (can be combined in Linux/Gparted to one single LVM volume)
With the measly 1 GB of RAM it runs and starts Debian 10 w/ Mate just fine! Sometimes use it as a multi-track Portatrack Studio with Qtractor. Linux is perfect for old computers. We just need "old" software...

Good to know that there's a 32 bit version of YABridge.
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

Well, my hapiness was too early. Adding three plugins to ardour session kills the machine, to reaper almost kills machine. 100% CPU load, RAM load, 0 response, full speed cooler. And it`s just adding, without playing or recording. Anyway it was worth to try:)