[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.0.4, with a hotfix for plugin groups

Post by Robin Cherry »

Love your work.

I'm curious if anybody knows of any compatibility settings to get the Gforce Minimonsta2 and Oddity3 plugins working? At the moment when I open the vst2 or vst3 version of the plugins reaper crashes with no sound.

I'm running the most recent 5.0.4 Yabridge in Manjaro, with the latest winestaging 8 from the repositories, the latest version of reaper, under a Windows 10 prefix. I had the same issue with previous versions of yabridge and winestaging and a Windows 7 prefix.

Thanks!

robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 5.0.5, with more incremental fixes and improvements

Post by robbert-vdh »

It's been a couple months since the last release. I've been wanting to work on some more exciting features but I haven't had the time, and since these other changes have been sitting idly on the master branch for a while now I thought it would probably be a good idea to just release this first.

The changes and fixes in this release include a workaround for a VST3 Kontakt bug that could result in extremely slow project loading in REAPER, a change that prevents flickering when dragging plugin windows around in some window managers, a preemptive change to avoid things from blowing up once Wine natively supports Wayland, and fixes that would cause some very specific CLAP plugins to lock up when loading multiple instances.

The full changelog with all fixes and changes can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/5.0.5

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.0.4, with a hotfix for plugin groups

Post by Robin Cherry »

Robin Cherry wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:48 pm

Love your work.

I'm curious if anybody knows of any compatibility settings to get the Gforce Minimonsta2 and Oddity3 plugins working? At the moment when I open the vst2 or vst3 version of the plugins reaper crashes with no sound.

I'm running the most recent 5.0.4 Yabridge in Manjaro, with the latest winestaging 8 from the repositories, the latest version of reaper, under a Windows 10 prefix. I had the same issue with previous versions of yabridge and winestaging and a Windows 7 prefix.

Thanks!

I solved this problem yesterday. I have an nvidia 1030gt card and had been using the the nouveau driver. I switched to the proprietary driver yesterday and these and other trouble plugins now work. I suspect that the plugins were crashing reaper because of a lack of vulkan support on my old card in the nouveau driver despite having it installed in wine.

I hope this helps others who may experience similar issues.

robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Post by robbert-vdh »

I've been meaning to get this release out for months now, but I never ended up getting around to it. This release is mostly a collection of small but important bug fixes that have been sitting in the pipeline for a while. Most notably, this fixes VST2 bridging compatibility with the latest Renoise version and a VST3 compatibility issue with Ardour 7.3 through 8.1, once Ardour 8.2 gets released.

The full changelog with all fixes and changes can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/5.1.0

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Post by Robin Cherry »

Nice, thanks Robert!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks! Just under the wire for AV Linux 23!

Not sure if this is the right place for a question but I just upgraded and reset my Studio box which only happens every few years and I have XLN Addictive Drums 2 and Trigger and the Online Installer all worked as expected and the Plugin UI's show up but if I simply move the Plugin Window the UI's go blank... Is this anything that can be worked out with yabridge or Wine dlls or am I just out of luck..? Not vital, I don't depend on these but Trigger especially is VERY useful and there is no Linux counterpart that even comes close..

Anyone else using these Plugins?

OS ss upcoming AV Linux 23 (built on Debian Bookworm) and Wine-Staging 8.12

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@robbert-vdh

Most notably, this fixes ... a VST3 compatibility issue with Ardour 7.3 through 8.1, once Ardour 8.2 gets released.

FWIW, Ardour 8.2 was released on 2023-12-13:

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/ardour-8 ... sed/109615

I'm a little puzzled how a new Ardour release would fix an issue for yabridge against older Ardour releases.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

GMaq wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:30 pm

Thanks! Just under the wire for AV Linux 23!

Not sure if this is the right place for a question but I just upgraded and reset my Studio box which only happens every few years and I have XLN Addictive Drums 2 and Trigger and the Online Installer all worked as expected and the Plugin UI's show up but if I simply move the Plugin Window the UI's go blank... Is this anything that can be worked out with yabridge or Wine dlls or am I just out of luck..? Not vital, I don't depend on these but Trigger especially is VERY useful and there is no Linux counterpart that even comes close..

Anyone else using these Plugins?

OS ss upcoming AV Linux 23 (built on Debian Bookworm) and Wine-Staging 8.12

Issue with recent Wine versions, unrelated to yabridge. A month ago or so there was also this new issue where some JUCE plugins crash on shutdown. Hopefully things will calm down a little again as Wine 9.0 stabilizes.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

robbert-vdh wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:10 pm

Issue with recent Wine versions, unrelated to yabridge. A month ago or so there was also this new issue where some JUCE plugins crash on shutdown. Hopefully things will calm down a little again as Wine 9.0 stabilizes.

Thanks for the reply, any idea what 'older' Wine versions are good? As I recall Wine 8.2 was pretty good, after it WineASIO broke... perhaps they are related breakages..?

EDIT: Hmmm. downgraded to 8.2, still Window problems and I somehow borked my registration, why exactly do we do this to ourselves...? :roll:

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Has anyone ever thought of maybe forking wine to a fork where it just specializes in making audio production apps like VSTs and even some of the DAW run smoothly on Linux?

I am saying that because the amount of people I see migrating to our platform and the first thing to come out of their mouths or in text and respect to hear is how do I get this and that that I paid a gazillion dollars for to run on this platform? I'm talking years of seeing those questions asked so I figured by now someone who knows what they are doing and I put that disclaimer in there so somebody doesn't say why don't you do it? I have no clue and if everyone wants their projects completely destroyed, then leave it to me to try to program something 😄

I know people are busy with family and everything and outside of this time of the year people are just busy. We got lives especially the developers that are not getting paid so I always hate suggesting stuff because I feel like I'm demanding something on people who have lives so please don't get me wrong it's just a suggestion or an inquiry.

We've got so many different synth apps or plugins and we seem to just be getting more but I think the priority on something like a fork of wine done exclusively for pro audio is necessary don't you guys think?

Sorry if I went off too much and no hijacked disturbed. As usual I'm always long-winded in all of these things.