[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.1, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:09 am [...]
Note: remove the .so files that Yabridge created of your .dll's too!
[...]
Every living step you mentioned about there I've tried. [...]
My 2 cents to add to the confusion.

I mistakenly assumed that you exactly knew how Yabridge works and also removed /usr/lib/vst/MT-PowerDrumKit.so. Yabridge creates (well, in ver. 3.x it did) an .so (shared object, i.e. a Linux library) with the same name as your Windows VST. A Windows VST is a file that has the extension .dll (dynamic link library). The .so is dependent on the Yabridge version it is meant to work with. You did not manually remove all .so files that Yabridge created, hence the error message.

And then there's the ever confusing Windows VST versus Linux (i.e. native) VST story. I get confused by that too. :wink: Linux VST's go in /usr/lib/vst/. Windows VST's (and a lot of stuff they need) go into e.g. /home/your_name/.wine/drive_c/program files/something. I've got some really old but nice Windows VST's that are a sigle file dll. I can place those anywhere I want (e.g. on the desktop).

Good luck producing music with Linux! :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.1, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by funkmuscle »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:49 am
funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:09 am [...]
Note: remove the .so files that Yabridge created of your .dll's too!
[...]
Every living step you mentioned about there I've tried. [...]
My 2 cents to add to the confusion.

I mistakenly assumed that you exactly knew how Yabridge works and also removed /usr/lib/vst/MT-PowerDrumKit.so. Yabridge creates (well, in ver. 3.x it did) an .so (shared object, i.e. a Linux library) with the same name as your Windows VST. A Windows VST is a file that has the extension .dll (dynamic link library). The .so is dependent on the Yabridge version it is meant to work with. You did not manually remove all .so files that Yabridge created, hence the error message.

And then there's the ever confusing Windows VST versus Linux (i.e. native) VST story. I get confused by that too. :wink: Linux VST's go in /usr/lib/vst/. Windows VST's (and a lot of stuff they need) go into e.g. /home/your_name/.wine/drive_c/program files/something. I've got some really old but nice Windows VST's that are a sigle file dll. I can place those anywhere I want (e.g. on the desktop).

Good luck producing music with Linux! :)
All is good now :D
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 4.0.2

Post by robbert-vdh »

This is another tiny bugfix release. There's nothing too exciting in here other than yabridgectl sync now being slightly more robust to rare anomalous edge cases. But it seemed good idea to just get these changes out there now rather than in a couple of weeks.

The changelog for this release can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/4.0.2
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.2, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by glowrak guy »

After moving from 3.8x to 4.02, and running yabridgectl sync, there were 8 plugins listed as new, which existed before,
but were not made available in scans. Time to rtfm's, and YOU are to blame! :wink:
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.2, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by robbert-vdh »

glowrak guy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:12 am After moving from 3.8x to 4.02, and running yabridgectl sync, there were 8 plugins listed as new, which existed before,
but were not made available in scans. Time to rtfm's, and YOU are to blame! :wink:
Read the yabridge 4.0 release notes for a quick migration guide. Or just run `yabridgectl sync --prune` like yabridgectl already suggested.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:57 am
glowrak guy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:12 am After moving from 3.8x to 4.02, and running yabridgectl sync, there were 8 plugins listed as new, which existed before,
Read the yabridge 4.0 release notes for a quick migration guide. Or just run `yabridgectl sync --prune` like yabridgectl already suggested.
Yes please do read so you don't end up reliving my self-imposed horror story :mrgreen: . It's worth the read. Will save you time and you'll be happy with the results.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey guys, ianyone here experiencing any issues with Ardour and Mixbus32c using yabridge?

If I add this

Code: Select all

~.vst
Think that's the right path but anyways, when added the ./vst path to Ardour or Mixbus32c, the scanner crashes the DAW when scanning lv2. Weird yes. It starts with the ZAM plugins so I removed them but then it starts with the dRowAudio Plugins and crashes.

So that why I had everything in /usr/lib/vst.

I never had this issue with airwave or linvst. Windows VSTs could be anywhere, just had to point DAW to them.

Confusing thing is why would scanning lv2 plugins when ~.vst path is added crash the DAWs and when the path is removed, these DAWs have no issues scanning for plugins?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

you need a slash to indicate your home folder in general usage..

~/.vst

Specific to Ardour/ Mixbus...

Its better to provide the full 'proper' path in Ardour/Mixbus Edit-->Preferences-->Plugins-->VST

/home/JimBob/.vst
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

GMaq wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:27 pm you need a slash..

~/.vst
Thanks for the correction Glenn but still why when that's in the path on where the DAWs searches for plugins, it's crashes scanner the lv2. As soon as I remove the VST path, there's no problem. I have VSTs in the system wide setting under /use/lib/vst And I have no issues with that. In fact the windows VST plugins used to be in there using Airwave and linvst.

I used to keep all my VST plugins in the ~/.vst. started to use Yabridge And that's when scanning for plugins would crash once it started the LV2 so that's why I moved to the system wide and it worked perfectly but since the latest version of Yabridge where all windows VSTs should be under ~/.best, I could only use them all now under Reaper.
I've only noticed it where I had a song that used a VST choir plugin and I went to commit it because I usually commit that when I'm using a non Linux plugin due to the instability of or the unsureness of a wine update then I noticed the plug-in wasn't there. Opened up Reaper and there it is but I use mostly ardour and mixbus.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, I always put small or freeware windows vsts in .wine/drive_c/users/VstPlugins. Larger plugin installs that include folders
of data/presets/utilities etc and I'll stick with the default installer choice, and perhaps move huge samplesets
once things are stable.

For linux native items, I always copy plugin things found installed in the root partition folders, to the counterparts in /home/me,
.lv2, .vst, and .vst3. Very few issues over the years using Reaper, Mixbus, or Bitwig 8Track.
DiscoDSP put things in Documents/discoDSP folder, Nil's excellent KI is a bit unique, and DecentSampler has it's own
selectable samples path, most others stick to common file structures.
Cheers
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:04 pm Hey guys, ianyone here experiencing any issues with Ardour and Mixbus32c using yabridge?

If I add this

~.vst
Think that's the right path but anyways, when added the ./vst path to Ardour or Mixbus32c, the scanner crashes the DAW when scanning lv2. Weird yes. It starts with the ZAM plugins so I removed them but then it starts with the dRowAudio Plugins and crashes.

I never had this issue with airwave or linvst. Windows VSTs could be anywhere, just had to point DAW to them.

Confusing thing is why would scanning lv2 plugins when ~.vst path is added crash the DAWs and when the path is removed, these DAWs have no issues scanning for plugins?
That sounds like an issue with your copy of Ardour, and it's likely unrelated to yabridge (I haven't heard anyone else about this either). Ardour's plugin scanning shouldn't be able to take down Ardour even if a plugin crashes because it shells out to a ardour-X-scanner binary to do the actual scanning. Have you tried running Ardour in a terminal and checking the output there yet?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:07 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:04 pm Hey guys, ianyone here experiencing any issues with Ardour and Mixbus32c using yabridge?

If I add this

~.vst

That sounds like an issue with your copy of Ardour, and it's likely unrelated to yabridge (I haven't heard anyone else about this either). Ardour's plugin scanning shouldn't be able to take down Ardour even if a plugin crashes because it shells out to a ardour-X-scanner binary to do the actual scanning. Have you tried running Ardour in a terminal and checking the output there yet?
Man sorry I think I clicked the wrong thing I hope this doesn't get reported. I'm doing this on my phone and my fat finger clicked the wrong thing to reply so hopefully I'm praying that I didn't mess this threat up.

Ok maybe Ardour And how it's built on Arch but I'm also having the same issue with mix bus 32c.

Never had the issue with airwaves or linvst.

I'm the weird thing is that when the VST path is added, it's not the VSTs that are crashing the scan but when it's doing the lv2.

Then I would just go remove the VST path and everything scans.

That was the reason why I put all of the VST plugins under /usr/lib/vst

I never thought anything of it until I guess version 4 of Yabridge where you had to help me get things going again because I didn't read the instructions and that's when you suggested or mentioned that it all needs to be in the home directory VST path. Then it brought that issue back because as we know, Yabridge used to work with whatever directory you pointed it to where the VST was. Well at least it worked for me until that recent change.

It's not a big issue because I can do everything I need to do in Reaper and commit it but I just thought that it may be an issue that should be reported. If it's only me it's not a problem to go try to rectify it but if anyone else is having that issue then yes.

Ardour and mixbus32c are basically the same thing except one is from the distros repo and the other one comes with an installer and installs into a completely different directory and I think the mix bus is more of a binary. Again I could be completely wrong I'm just trying to figure out what the heck happened or why is that happening that's all..
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:34 pm Ok maybe Ardour And how it's built on Arch but I'm also having the same issue with mix bus 32c.

Never had the issue with airwaves or linvst.

I'm the weird thing is that when the VST path is added, it's not the VSTs that are crashing the scan but when it's doing the lv2.

Then I would just go remove the VST path and everything scans.

That was the reason why I put all of the VST plugins under /usr/lib/vst

I never thought anything of it until I guess version 4 of Yabridge where you had to help me get things going again because I didn't read the instructions and that's when you suggested or mentioned that it all needs to be in the home directory VST path. Then it brought that issue back because as we know, Yabridge used to work with whatever directory you pointed it to where the VST was. Well at least it worked for me until that recent change.

It's not a big issue because I can do everything I need to do in Reaper and commit it but I just thought that it may be an issue that should be reported. If it's only me it's not a problem to go try to rectify it but if anyone else is having that issue then yes.

Ardour and mixbus32c are basically the same thing except one is from the distros repo and the other one comes with an installer and installs into a completely different directory and I think the mix bus is more of a binary. Again I could be completely wrong I'm just trying to figure out what the heck happened or why is that happening that's all..
You'll need to contact the Ardour developers on their IRC channel to help them debug this. And did you check that terminal output already? You may also want to move your Ardour config elsewhere (so you can restore it later for a bug report) and try again with a clean config. I can guarantee you that this is not an issue with yabridge but something with Ardour's plugin scanning or configuration handling.
MrNeo

Post by MrNeo »

Hi all! Sorry for my noob question, but I need help. :(
My Linux distr - Fedora 36 and daw - BitWig 4.3.4
I`m installed: Wine stage 7.16, Reveal sound Spire 1.5.10, YaBridge 4.0.2.
When i run bitwig i get the error plugin:
/home/uncle/.vst/yabridge/Reveal Sound/Spire-1.5.so
com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Failed to load VST 2 plug-in /home/uncle/.vst/yabridge/Reveal Sound/Spire-1.5.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /home/uncle/.vst/yabridge/Reveal Sound/Spire-1.5.so)
Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks.
Last edited by MrNeo on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

MrNeo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:07 pm Hi all! Sorry for my noob question, but I need help. :(
My Linux distr - Fedora 36 and daw - BitWig 4.3.4
I`m installed: Wine stage 7.16, Reveal sound Spire 1.5.10, YaBridge 4.0.2.
When i run bitwig i get the error plugin:
/home/uncle/.vst/yabridge/Reveal Sound/Spire-1.5.so
com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Failed to load VST 2 plug-in /home/uncle/.vst/yabridge/Reveal Sound/Spire-1.5.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /home/uncle/.vst/yabridge/Reveal Sound/Spire-1.5.so)
Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks.
Hi! I didn't get an email notification for some reason (maybe try our Discord next time, I'm always on there). You're using Flatpak Bitwig. Many plugins, including yabridge, won't work there for technical reasons. You'll need to use the regular Bitwig version outside of Flatpak instead.