[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.1, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:25 pm Yes I saw that when you stressed to read the read me section but when it updated in Arch as I said 4.0.0 worked and it's just today with the 4.0.1 is where I got the failure. All day yesterday I was using it to get some drum tracks from SSD 5. And the sink option did not give me any error messages. I'm used to seeing the error messages so I know what you're talking about but I didn't see anything like that in fact I would sometimes get an error message in the color red but that has been gone since 4.0.0.

Okay instead of me justifying my idiotic side here :mrgreen: Let me give it a shot and see if that fixes things. Thanks again man!

Okay I did everything including the --prune but I did not uninstall the app and it still showing as version 3.8.0 even though I just installed 4.0.1 so do you think I have to start all over by uninstalling and reinstalling stuff? Well Yabridge
Perhaps you removed that directory from yabridgectl's plugin paths? (and without using the `yabridgectl rm` option which prompts you to remove those .so files to prevent this exact thing from happening) In that case you'd just need to remove those .so files yourself, since that directory is now no longer managed by yabridgectl.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.1, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by GMaq »

@robbert-vdh

First, thanks for your continuing work on Yabridge, I'm a bit confused on the path forward regarding AV Linux Users, to recap:

yabridge and the YADbridge frontend come set up ready to use on AVL, yabridge is not packaged since it's folders and configs populate the User's home however YADbridge is a separate Deb package. I make the placement of yabridge part of my ISO build process and when run live or installed this is the structure:

~/.local/share/yabridge/<yabridge-assets-here>
~/.config/yabridgectl/<config.toml-here>

Where things get muddy now is my placement of Windows VST DLLs..

I include a small collection of old but good obsoleted Windows VST2 Plugins in AV Linux to provide a working example and get people on the road with WinVST.. They are placed in /usr/local/lib/vst and this location is pre-written in config.toml... why? (a) To differentiate them from the LinuxVST2 Plugins placed in /usr/lib/vst and (b) So the supplied DAWs find them easily without User intervention once synced.. Also Plugin (and other) packages need to install to system directories not the User's home..

So could you help me (and AVL Users) out with exactly what needs to be changed on an upgraded existing AVL system to 4.0.1 from Github and how I need to place items on future ISO releases? Also will commands and directory paths in YADbridge need to be changed?

As always your generosity and time are appreciated!
Glen
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

GMaq wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:36 pm @robbert-vdh

First, thanks for your continuing work on Yabridge, I'm a bit confused on the path forward regarding AV Linux Users, to recap:

yabridge and the YADbridge frontend come set up ready to use on AVL, yabridge is not packaged since it's folders and configs populate the User's home however YADbridge is a separate Deb package. I make the placement of yabridge part of my ISO build process and when run live or installed this is the structure:

I include a small collection of old but good obsoleted Windows VST2 Plugins in AV Linux to provide a working example and get people on the road with WinVST.. They are placed in /usr/local/lib/vst and this location is pre-written in config.toml... why? (a) To differentiate them from the LinuxVST2 Plugins placed in /usr/lib/vst and (b) So the supplied DAWs find them easily without User intervention once synced.. Also Plugin (and other) packages need to install to system directories not the User's home..

So could you help me (and AVL Users) out with exactly what needs to be changed on an upgraded existing AVL system to 4.0.1 from Github and how I need to place items on future ISO releases? Also will commands and directory paths in YADbridge need to be changed?

Glen
Nothing. In fact, you'd no longer need to make those directories user writable (which they definitely shouldn't be, that's a huge potential security issue). With the new VST2 installation location it works just like it always has worked for VST3 plugins since that was introduced, and yabridgectl won't need to write anything to the directories the Windows plugins are in anymore. To migrate, you'd just run `yabridgectl sync --prune` after updating to remove all .so files in yabridge's plugin directories, remove those directories from your DAW's plugin search path, and make sure the DAW searches in ~/.vst instead (which every DAW on Linux does by default).
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:43 pm
GMaq wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:36 pm @robbert-vdh

Glen
Nothing. In fact, you'd no longer need to make those directories user writable (which they definitely shouldn't be, that's a huge potential security issue). With the new VST2 installation location it works just like it always has worked for VST3 plugins since that was introduced, and yabridgectl won't need to write anything to the directories the Windows plugins are in anymore. To migrate, you'd just run `yabridgectl sync --prune` after updating to remove all .so files in yabridge's plugin directories, remove those directories from your DAW's plugin search path, and make sure the DAW searches in ~/.vst instead (which every DAW on Linux does by default).
Ahh excellent! Thanks! YADbridge has a 'Prune' button so hopefully that does the trick, so the big change is nothing to with Plugin locations, only '.so' file locations being uncoupled? Will yabridge create ~/.vst if it doesn't exist?
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

GMaq wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:54 pm Ahh excellent! Thanks! YADbridge has a 'Prune' button so hopefully that does the trick, so the big change is nothing to with Plugin locations, only '.so' file locations being uncoupled? Will yabridge create ~/.vst if it doesn't exist?
Yes, it will create ~/.vst/yabridge (and any subdirectories within that as needed) if it doesn't already exist.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:28 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:25 pm Yes I saw that when you stressed to read the read me section but when it updated in Arch as I said 4.0.0 worked and it's just today with the 4.0.1 is where I got the failure. All day yesterday I was using it to get some drum tracks from SSD 5. And the sink option did not give me any error messages. I'm used to seeing the error messages so I know what you're talking about but I didn't see anything like that in fact I would sometimes get an error message in the color red but that has been gone since 4.0.0.

Okay instead of me justifying my idiotic side here :mrgreen: Let me give it a shot and see if that fixes things. Thanks again man!

Okay I did everything including the --prune but I did not uninstall the app and it still showing as version 3.8.0 even though I just installed 4.0.1 so do you think I have to start all over by uninstalling and reinstalling stuff? Well Yabridge
Perhaps you removed that directory from yabridgectl's plugin paths? (and without using the `yabridgectl rm` option which prompts you to remove those .so files to prevent this exact thing from happening) In that case you'd just need to remove those .so files yourself, since that directory is now no longer managed by yabridgectl.
Ok so I've uninstalled Yabridge and Yabridgectl but files remain so I removed them manually but as soon as I do a locate for anything Yabridge, those files are still there

Code: Select all

locate yabridge
/usr/bin/yabridge-host-32.exe
/usr/bin/yabridge-host-32.exe.so
/usr/bin/yabridge-host.exe
/usr/bin/yabridge-host.exe.so
/usr/bin/yabridgectl
/usr/lib/libyabridge-chainloader-vst2.so
/usr/lib/libyabridge-chainloader-vst3.so
/usr/lib/libyabridge-vst2.so
/usr/lib/libyabridge-vst3.so
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.16835.1655067786000000.zst
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.18351.1655068174000000.zst
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.33241.1655068810000000.zst
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.33801.1655068920000000.zst
I would the install 4.0.1 and run Reaper from a terminal and still 3.8.0 shows. How badly did I screw up the usage of Windows VSTs?
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:55 pm Ok so I've uninstalled Yabridge and Yabridgectl but files remain so I removed them manually but as soon as I do a locate for anything Yabridge, those files are still there

locate yabridge
/usr/bin/yabridge-host-32.exe
/usr/bin/yabridge-host-32.exe.so
/usr/bin/yabridge-host.exe
/usr/bin/yabridge-host.exe.so
/usr/bin/yabridgectl
/usr/lib/libyabridge-chainloader-vst2.so
/usr/lib/libyabridge-chainloader-vst3.so
/usr/lib/libyabridge-vst2.so
/usr/lib/libyabridge-vst3.so
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.16835.1655067786000000.zst
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.18351.1655068174000000.zst
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.33241.1655068810000000.zst
/var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.yabridge-host\x2ee.1000.86d2a875147340deb72deb20f74b7f08.33801.1655068920000000.zst
I would the install 4.0.1 and run Reaper from a terminal and still 3.8.0 shows. How badly did I screw up the usage of Windows VSTs?
Those files should be there, since presumably you're using the yabridge and yabridgectl packages from the Arch (or Manjaro) repos (or some other distro package). Check out the usage section of yabridge's readme and follow those instructions: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge#usage
The only things you need to do is make sure your Windows plugin directories are known by yabridge (run `yabridgectl list`, that should contain your Windows VST2 and VST3 directories inside of a Wine prefix and nothing else), run `yabridgectl sync --prune`, and then make sure REAPER searches for plugins in the .vst and .vst3 directories in your home directory, and not in any of the Windows plugin directories.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I most of really messed it up. Did what you've said but now it's showing 3.8.1

What should I remove manually since uninstalling didn't work and what you mentioned did not work either?
Looks like I may have to use my wife's Windows 10 to write song so I can have those midi files for now.

My mess to deal with but if this can be salvaged, please do inform. She may not gimme her laptop as she's telling this was a lesson that she knew I'd have to learn since I don't read instructions or manual.. :( :mrgreen:
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 am I most of really messed it up. Did what you've said but now it's showing 3.8.1

What should I remove manually since uninstalling didn't work and what you mentioned did not work either?
Looks like I may have to use my wife's Windows 10 to write song so I can have those midi files for now.

My mess to deal with but if this can be salvaged, please do inform. She may not gimme her laptop as she's telling this was a lesson that she knew I'd have to learn since I don't read instructions or manual.. :( :mrgreen:
I ain't no expert on this, but could you not first try to remove everything Yabridge manually (version 3.x AND ver. 4.x). And also - if you indeed installed Yabridge via a package manager - via your package manager. I see in your replies that the yabridge 3.8 execuatable keeps on getting started: it is not removed.

Note: remove the .so files that Yabridge created of your .dll's too!

Then do a system wide search on the term "yabridge" to know for sure it's removed from every location and directory. I use the command 'locate' for that:

locate yabridge
Then manually re-install Yabridge 4.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:09 am
funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 am I most of really messed it up. Did what you've said but now it's showing 3.8.1

I ain't no expert on this, but could you not first try to remove everything Yabridge manually (version 3.x AND ver. 4.x). And also - if you indeed installed Yabridge via a package manager - via your package manager. I see in your replies that the yabridge 3.8 execuatable keeps on getting started: it is not removed.

Note: remove the .so files that Yabridge created of your .dll's too!

Then do a system wide search on the term "yabridge" to know for sure it's removed from every location and directory. I use the command 'locate' for that:

locate yabridge
Then manually re-install Yabridge 4.
Every living step you mentioned about there I've tried. The thing is when I go into manually remove those files and I do a locate the are right back there. I'll mess with a few things today and if I can't fix it, I can just as I said use my wife's laptop just to get the beats for a song going so I can have the drum midi tracks and then I'll move it to drumgizmo And go from there. The final bit of the song anyhow ends up with a real drummer playing so it's just used for songwriting so I can get around it if this can't be fixed or the easiest thing to do is just reinstall Arch. Thanks for your suggestion though and if anyone could figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'm all ears and I guess in this case eyes :D

It's my stupidity so thanks for all the help guys and thanks for more of the help to come
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm Every living step you mentioned about there I've tried. The thing is when I go into manually remove those files and I do a locate the are right back there. I'll mess with a few things today and if I can't fix it, I can just as I said use my wife's laptop just to get the beats for a song going so I can have the drum midi tracks and then I'll move it to drumgizmo And go from there. The final bit of the song anyhow ends up with a real drummer playing so it's just used for songwriting so I can get around it if this can't be fixed or the easiest thing to do is just reinstall Arch. Thanks for your suggestion though and if anyone could figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'm all ears and I guess in this case eyes :D

It's my stupidity so thanks for all the help guys and thanks for more of the help to come
Check whether ~/.local/share/yabridge exists in your home directory. If it does, remove that first. Then install the latest Arch package using `sudo pacman -S yabridge yabridgectl`. Run `yabridgectl list` make sure that lists all of your Windows plugin directories. Then run `yabridgectl sync --prune` and you should be all set.

But looking closer at your log from earlier you did some weird things you definitely should not have done, so that's probably the issue. In that log you have a Windows VST2 plugin installed at /usr/lib/vst/MT-PowerDrumKit.dll. That definitely shouldn't be there. And with yabridge 3.8.1 that also means you have a yabridge .so file at /usr/lib/vst/MT-PowerDrumKit.so. That really, really really shouldn't be there. /usr/lib is your package manager's territory, you should never ever touch that directory yourself unless you really know what you're doing. So somehow you've moved or copied or something'd MT-PowerDrumKit and a yabridge file there. You'll need to carefully get rid of those to fix the problem.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:55 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm Every living step you mentioned about there I've tried. The thing is when I go into manually remove those files and I do a locate the are right back there. I'll mess with a few things today and if I can't fix it, I can just as I said use my wife's laptop just to get the beats for a song going so I can have the drum midi tracks and then I'll move it to drumgizmo And go from there. The final bit of the song anyhow ends up with a real drummer playing so it's just used for songwriting so I can get around it if this can't be fixed or the easiest thing to do is just reinstall Arch. Thanks for your suggestion though and if anyone could figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'm all ears and I guess in this case eyes :D

Check whether ~/.local/share/yabridge exists in your home directory. If it does, remove that first. Then install the latest Arch package using `sudo pacman -S yabridge yabridgectl`. Run `yabridgectl list` make sure that lists all of your Windows plugin directories. Then run `yabridgectl sync --prune` and you should be all set.

But looking closer at your log from earlier you did some weird things you definitely should not have done, so that's probably the issue. In that log you have a Windows VST2 plugin installed at /usr/lib/vst/MT-PowerDrumKit.dll. That definitely shouldn't be there. And with yabridge 3.8.1 that also means you have a yabridge .so file at /usr/lib/vst/MT-PowerDrumKit.so. That really, really really shouldn't be there. /usr/lib is your package manager's territory, you should never ever touch that directory yourself unless you really know what you're doing. So somehow you've moved or copied or something'd MT-PowerDrumKit and a yabridge file there. You'll need to carefully get rid of those to fix the problem.
ok I will try that but /usr/lib/vst so native linux vst will install there and for instance, the zam plugins, it's vst plugins needs there because in the .vst dir, it crashed Ardour and Mixbus32c when scanning. So I moved them back to there.
A dir called lsp plugins and carla.vst automatically installs there.....

Anyhow robbert-vdh, you've got this dumbass here me up and running... I just moved everything from the /usr/lib/vst except the above mentioned dirs, placed them in ~.vst and all is fine. All airwindows too which Chris the dev did say place them there in /usr/lib/vst. Even the PKGBUILD in AUR installs the vsts in /usr/lib/vst.

So are you saying that non-linux vsts should not go to /usr/lib/vst or NO PLUGINS AT ALL?

Thank you again though
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Non-native plugins should definitely not go in /usr/lib/vst, and anything that you didn't install through your package manager also does not belong in /usr/lib/vst. If a package you installed through pacman installs things there then that's perfectly fine, of course (and those files need to stay there).
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 pm Non-native plugins should definitely not go in /usr/lib/vst, and anything that you didn't install through your package manager also does not belong in /usr/lib/vst. If a package you installed through pacman installs things there then that's perfectly fine, of course (and those files need to stay there).
ok thank you very much.. Now to deal with the Zam plugins, well the zamverb causing issues. but that's a different story.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@funkmuscle

Just to clarify... the DAW doesn't care as long as the Plugins are in it's PATH settings.. It's absolutely no better to have Plugins in /usr/lib/vst than in ~/.vst in fact to reiterate what Robbert said you get a break from having to bother with pesky permissions if they are in your User's home. In general if they are 'loose' Plugins you obtained from a download Like Airwindows you should keep them in a '.vst' folder in your User's home.. Chris is a DSP expert not necessarily a Linux expert.. :wink: