[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MrNeo

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.2, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by MrNeo »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:41 pm You'll need to use the regular Bitwig version outside of Flatpak instead.
On the official site there is only a deb package and a flatpak... =(
Kott
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 4.0.2, with chainloading, an overhauled backend, and many user experience improvements

Post by Kott »

MrNeo wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:32 am
robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:41 pm You'll need to use the regular Bitwig version outside of Flatpak instead.
On the official site there is only a deb package and a flatpak... =(
convert deb to rpm or just unpack it
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 5.0, now with Windows CLAP plugin bridging support

Post by robbert-vdh »

I'm proud to announce the latest major yabridge release. I spent the last couple months working on support for bridging CLAP plugins. With yabridge 5.0 you can now use Windows CLAP plugins in native Linux CLAP hosts with full functionality. CLAP is a collaborative effort by a group of plugin and host developers of all backgrounds to create a permissively licensed extensible plugin standard that is simple while also catering to the needs of plugin developers, host developers, and musicians alike. When bridged under yabridge, these plugins are likely to have lower bridging overhead than their VST2 and VST3 counterparts while also being more responsive and offering better support for instrument plugins and parameter modulation.

The other changes in yabridge 5.0.0 are fairly minor. One quality of life improvement that may be relevant to users of more obscure distros is that yabridge now directly talks to the D-Bus daemon for sending its desktop notifications instead of relying on the notify-send command line utility, which may not be installed on those systems.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/5.0.0

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.0, now with Windows CLAP plugin bridging support

Post by glowrak guy »

CLAP support is very good news! Also, after a few general system and kernel updates with the 4.2 yabridge installed, a Reaper plugin scan was able to present the AIR Hybrid 3 synth (software i-lok) registration panel, and it took the pasted serial number, and the synth is working fine in limited testing. Hopefully other software-ilok titles will also work. Not sure which update unlocked the current success, as it's the default AVLinux wine-staging 6.22. and Reaper 6.69
Cheers

robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 5.0.1, hotfix release for Wine 7.21

Post by robbert-vdh »

This is a quick hotfix release to work around a bug in Wine 7.21 that would cause yabridge to hang indefinitely on startup. There's also a small fix for yabridgectl not correctly tracking the new moduleinfo.json files for VST 3.7.5 plugins.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/5.0.1

Vrangor
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.0.1, hotfix release for Wine 7.21

Post by Vrangor »

Hello!
I have fresh Debian11, winehq-staging 7.21, yabridge 5.0.1 and series of notifications "failed to start the wine plugin host" on vst scanning under reaper. Unfortunately running reaper from terminal doesn't display any yabridge output. Yabridge sync performed, ~/.vst path added in reaper. Help :)
Cheers.

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.0.1, hotfix release for Wine 7.21

Post by robbert-vdh »

Vrangor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Hello!
I have fresh Debian11, winehq-staging 7.21, yabridge 5.0.1 and series of notifications "failed to start the wine plugin host" on vst scanning under reaper. Unfortunately running reaper from terminal doesn't display any yabridge output. Yabridge sync performed, ~/.vst path added in reaper. Help :)
Cheers.

REAPER hides plugin output during scanning from you, and along with that it hides any and all errors. Anyways, I just found out that the builds up on GitHub are still affected by that Wine 7.21 bug, so it you'll run into issues regardless. It's probably best to stick with Wine Staging 7.20 for now.

robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 5.0.2, Yet Another hotfix release for Wine 7.22

Post by robbert-vdh »

The last yabridge release contains a workaround for a bug in Wine 7.21 that would cause yabridge to hang indefinitely on startup, but the builds up on GitHub were still affected by a different part the bug (who knew unpredictable low level bugs can be unpredictable?). I was hoping Wine would have fixed the bug in time for Wine 7.22, but the bug still hasn't been fixed and it doesn't look like it's going to get much attention anytime soon. So this release mostly changes how the packaged versions of yabridge are built to hopefully allow them to work with recent Wine versions again. Since all of these bandaids won't fix the actual underlying Wine bug, I still can't guarantee that everything works as it should until Wine fixes this. If you still encounter freezes or crashes with yabridge 5.0.2, do consider downgrading back to Wine Staging 7.20.

The only actual change in this release is a change to how redraws work. This may make resizing and dragging editor windows around a lot smoother, especially when using window managers that send excessive events when a window is moved like in Cinnamon and XFCE.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/5.0.2

robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 5.0.3, fully functional with all Wine versions again (for now)

Post by robbert-vdh »

The Wine bug that broke yabridge in combination with Wine 7.21, 7.22, and 8.0-rc1 has finally been fixed. This did require yabridge to be rebuilt against Wine 8.0-rc2, but on the flipside these updated yabridge builds will once again work with every Wine version after 5.7, including 7.21, 7.22, and 8.0-rc1. This yabridge release simply reverts the workarounds from yabridge 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 and provides updated builds that work with all current Wine versions.

The full changelog (containing mostly notes and instructions for package maintainers) can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/5.0.3

tseaver
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.0.3, fully functional with all Wine versions again (for now)

Post by tseaver »

@robbert-vdh

The Wine bug that broke yabridge in combination with Wine 7.21, 7.22, and 8.0-rc1 has finally been fixed. This did require yabridge to be rebuilt against Wine 8.0-rc2, but on the flipside these updated yabridge builds will once again work with every Wine version after 5.7, including 7.21, 7.22, and 8.0-rc1. This yabridge release simply reverts the workarounds from yabridge 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 and provides updated builds that work with all current Wine versions.

Kudos for bulldogging this issue to the ground! In my experience, working with an upstream developer / dev team to isolate these kind of bugs is some of the hardest work developers can do: making it happen in the FLOSS context takes both guts and savvy. Bravo!

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
ForrestH
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 5.0.3, fully functional with all Wine versions again (for now)

Post by ForrestH »

A moment of Aaargh: the Computer Music branded Dune, DUNE CM, wasn't showing up; running a yabridgectl sync resulted in no entry in .vst/yabridge, as though the file didn't exist...though it showed up when running the DAW itself under WINE; LinVST had no trouble...

...aaaand the problem was that the file was named "DUNE CM.DLL" rather than "DUNE CM.dll". yabridgectl sync found the latter instantly.

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

ForrestH wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:33 pm

A moment of Aaargh: the Computer Music branded Dune, DUNE CM, wasn't showing up; running a yabridgectl sync resulted in no entry in .vst/yabridge, as though the file didn't exist...though it showed up when running the DAW itself under WINE; LinVST had no trouble...

...aaaand the problem was that the file was named "DUNE CM.DLL" rather than "DUNE CM.dll". yabridgectl sync found the latter instantly.

Yeah at one point I wanted to support case folding like that, but any implementation would end up either unnecessarily complicating things or it would introduce ambiguities. Since Windows plugins with file extensions that aren't all lowercase are so incredibly rare, I decided to just not go through with it. I don't remember if I wrote down all of the complications I ran into when I looked into this.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

robbert-vdh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:44 pm
ForrestH wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:33 pm

Yeah at one point I wanted to support case folding like that, but any implementation would end up either unnecessarily complicating things or it would introduce ambiguities. Since Windows plugins with file extensions that aren't all lowercase are so incredibly rare, I decided to just not go through with it. I don't remember if I wrote down all of the complications I ran into when I looked into this.

Seriously, yabridge is case sensitive? :?:

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:23 am

Seriously, yabridge is case sensitive? :?:

If you're using a case sensitive file system, everything on Linux is.

robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 5.0.4, with a hotfix for plugin groups

Post by robbert-vdh »

Someone notified me of an issue with plugin groups the other day. If you have more than one plugin instance in a plugin group, removing any of those instances will cause the plugin/host to hang. Oops. This is a regression from yabridge 4.0.0. With this update plugin groups should no longer cause hangs on instance removal or DAW shutdown. There are no other user visible changes in this release.

The changelog can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/5.0.4