Obituary thread for musicians

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Obituary thread for musicians

Post by Basslint »

RIP Andrew Fletcher, Depeche Mode keyboardist.

RIP Alan White, Yes drummer.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Basslint wrote: Alan White, Yes drummer.
Quite an amazing drummer. Check out SoundChaser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_5kd4b5fU

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:23 pm
Basslint wrote: Alan White, Yes drummer.
Quite an amazing drummer. Check out SoundChaser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_5kd4b5fU
Thank you! Of course, The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the edge are (probably) Yes' most iconic albums and Bill Bruford tends to be remembered as "the" Yes drummer, but in practice Alan White was the Yes drummer since he played drums on most Yes albums. And I must say, a lot of albums after Close to the edge are terribly underrated, I would suppose for three reasons:
1) For the prog backlash in the punk/new wave era
2) For the departures of Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman, who became very famous solo musicians (Bruford also played in King Crimson and that sealed his "prog legend" status)
3) The pop turn Yes took in the 80s

I hope that the news of Alan White's death will lead more fans to discover the "other" stuff Yes did and appreciate his work. I think it's not a good thing when a band is remembered for 2-3 albums, it kind of "cancels" many years of hard work, creativity and growth.

Edit: And besides, Alan White's drumming in Owner of a Lonely Heart is an absolute classic and that is probably Yes' most famous song, even outside prog circles.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I have always been a big Yes fan. Agreed The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge are highlights but Tales From Topographic Oceans is equal to them IMO. I have listened to most of their albums and most are at least interesting although some of their later ones I probably wont listen again. Fly From Here Return Trip from 2018 is well worth a listen with Trevor Horn on vocals and Geoff Downes on keyboard (aka The Buggles!), with Howe, Squire, and White. Better than the 2011 original and curiously not listed in the band's discography on Wikipedia.
Also essential listening is the Steven Wilson remixes which improve on the original classics (again IMO, I heard things I never noticed in the originals).
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

One of my favorite singers, Julee Cruise, died at 65. Rest in peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euq0sKwbDTg

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

RIP Vittorio De Scalzi from Italian symphonic prog band New Trolls.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Indigenous singer, songwriter, and inspirational culture icon, Archie Roach has left us. All of Australia is poorer for his passing.
I had the privilege of seeing him perform at Melbourne's Myer Music Bowl with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra back in February. Couldn't keep my eyes dry. He had an extraordinary spirit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-30/ ... /101285620

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ewkw3UpB54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RCcs6AOdT0
novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

Good bye jamie,

you changed my life and you trumped that sucker away.

jaimie branch - theme 001
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

carlv wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:45 pm Pharoah Sanders
Very sad. I got to know him in Cleveland during 1970-1971, he was doing a residency at Case-Western Reserve. A wonderful man and musician.

A side note: I was in a rock band in the late 60s that played a pretty loose rendition of The Creator Has A Master Plan. It didn't go over well with the club owners but we sure enjoyed jamming out on it. :)

Best regards,

dp
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

davephillips wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:11 pm It didn't go over well with the club owners but we sure enjoyed jamming out on it.
Heard that... Need them feet on the dance floor in order to get 'em to line up at the bar. Space is not the place, in this case. :lol:

Did your band ever record any of your outings? This would've been a real special moment to have captured.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Ramsey Lewis
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... azz-people

Totally dropped the ball on this passing.

Got a chance to meet him when i was interning at a college radio station (WGTB in DC) when he was there for an on air q&a. Of course, made it to show latter on. A super nice and gracious guy. As were many of these folks that i had the honor and pleasure to meet.

The ranks are thinning, for sure. :(
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

carlv wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:43 pm Did your band ever record any of your outings? This would've been a real special moment to have captured.
No live recordings as far as I know. The group was popular locally, the club scene then was booming in Ohio. Drinking age was 18 in those days - anyone else remember low beer (aka three-two) ? - so the gigs were plentiful. We made a couple of records that went pretty much nowhere, but I don't recall anyone recording the band live. No smart devices then, so it would have been an effort to record us in the clubs. Too bad, we also did a killer version of Sister Ray by the Velvet Underground. :)

Best regards,

dp
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

davephillips wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:34 am ... - anyone else remember low beer (aka three-two) ?
Not having a clue, I queried a buddy from Toledo.
"Yup...Michigan kids flooding the bars. Three.two beer."
:lol: 🍻