Best type of vocal mic for singing players?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlkuK
Established Member

Re: Best type of vocal mic for singing players?

Post by AlkuK »

artix_linux_user wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:39 am

Yeah, AKG is nice.
Concering the Behringer mics a salesman from one of the big german musicstores once told me:
pay attention to hold the mic in an upright position, otherwise the childrens blood will drip down.

Heh, nothing like some German humour to stop you död in the tracks. A Finnish singer/songwriter J. Koskela makes boutique type condensers with wooden frames (www.timbretones.com). Timbeeeer... Those feel good, at least.

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

hemhem
...i wait since beginning of the thread on a Shure SM87..., so here it is:
ever tried a Sm87? Great on stage, great on recordings.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

Frnjplyr
Established Member

Post by Frnjplyr »

I often wonder how many of the people that recommend SM58's or even the Beta's have ever had a mic shootout where the tried competitive mics side by side. In my testing I've found that the "crisp and clear" tends to be more "harsh and muffled". My experience as both a musician and sound tech has tells me that the Sennheiser 800 series, Se V7, Audix OM 2/3, and Heil PR22 just sound better in every aspect and they're all in the same price range. Sorry for not including the AKG and Audio Technica offerings but I just haven't tried them yet.
I understand the industry standard argument. When the 58 was introduced carburetors and clutches fit that description as well. I understand the ruggedness argument. If I need to build the stage before I play I'll use a hammer. If a 58 is on the mic stand when I'm playing, I'll count to 4 and start the song because it will work fine. If some one is asking for a recommendation on a good vocal mic for a working musician, it ranks way down the list.

Rant mode off:

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

That doesn't surprise me. Unfortunately I can't do a shootout, no one I know owns any of the mics you mention :( Any feedback on ruggedness? A Beta 58A is not the holy grail when it comes to that either, at least not in my hands :roll:

beta58a_broken.jpg
beta58a_broken.jpg (228.53 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
Frnjplyr
Established Member

Post by Frnjplyr »

autostatic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:48 pm

That doesn't surprise me. Unfortunately I can't do a shootout, no one I know owns any of the mics you mention :( Any feedback on ruggedness? A Beta 58A is not the holy grail when it comes to that either, at least not in my hands :roll:

beta58a_broken.jpg

That break looks like you're doing a magic act and sawing your mic in half.
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-XM1800 ... 136&sr=8-2
These may not sound good but they are cheap and plentiful. :D
Back to the subject at hand:
My Se V7 has been seen a few hard knocks and keeps working. I've also seen lots of the Sennheisers that have been thoroughly beaten and still work as well.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I can't find the video again but the guy from the Youtube channel "SpectreSoundStudios" once told that what sounds best with your voice may not be the most expensive one. He's got an insanely expensive classic Neumann mic that he loves dearly but some singers don't sound best with it so then he uses something else.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

autostatic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:48 pm

beta58a_broken.jpg

Wow! I've worked live shows most of my life including some crazy punk, rock, and metal bands but never seen one broken like that. I've seen the grill squashed flat, but that one has broken the thread separating the barrel section from the head! Congratulations! :mrgreen:

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

sunrat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:33 am

Wow! I've worked live shows most of my life including some crazy punk, rock, and metal bands but never seen one broken like that. I've seen the grill squashed flat, but that one has broken the thread separating the barrel section from the head! Congratulations! :mrgreen:

Ha ha ha, thanks! For an impression check https://downloads.autostatic.com/music/ ... okaal.webm (audio edited with Ardour, video edited with Kdenlive).
Not completely accurate because I'm still recovering from surgery I had two months ago (I'm a bionic man now with a big lump of titanium in my left leg). Typically I'm swinging around in chandeliers.

Edit: replaced Youtube link

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

autostatic wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:07 pm

For an impression check https://youtu.be/g2hc6nck6aY (audio edited with Ardour, video edited with Kdenlive).

Pretty tight band! I've listened to a bit of Unwritten Law recently and it's kinda similar ballpark.
Shame about the video though - portrait mode, what were they thinking? :shock:

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

sunrat wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:26 pm

Pretty tight band! I've listened to a bit of Unwritten Law recently and it's kinda similar ballpark.

Thanks!

sunrat wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:26 pm

Shame about the video though - portrait mode, what were they thinking? :shock:

Guess it's a reflex for most people to hold their phones like that.