Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Post by Gps »

I like openSUSE, but I do get allot of stuff I probably never use. Gonna have a look at micro os too.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

So, we did quite a bit of work since the project started and the people at SUSE decided to be so kind to offer us a more official location for our repo, which you can find at multimedia:proaudio on OBS.

one of the pioneer audio contributors on openSUSE (Edgar Aichinger aka edogawa, mentioned in the OP) joined multimedia:proaudio and we are really honored to work with him.

We will shut down the old repo (home:geekositalia:daw) on April 16th. Please, make sure to update your repositories by then :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

Basslint wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:02 am From my own experience as a former Debian user, the only advantages Debian has over openSUSE are that it doesn't install proprietary firmware blobs by default (openSUSE sadly does, but they can be removed) and has better support for codecs out-of-the-box (openSUSE requires a 3rd party repo called Packman for patent-related issues). I prefer openSUSE for all other aspects. These are my (biased, as a maintainer) two cents :D
I never tried to use openSUSE, but GeckoDAW is a good pretext. In Debian you can have a completely free OS, the only one rule is 'don't activate non-free repos'. Is possible don't activate non-free or non-open-source packages in openSUSE? and What proprietary firmware blobs installed by default? Is possible to know that info (maybe with a command or with Yast)?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

digitsun wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:30 am I never tried to use openSUSE, but GeckoDAW is a good pretext. In Debian you can have a completely free OS, the only one rule is 'don't activate non-free repos'. Is possible don't activate non-free or non-open-source packages in openSUSE? and What proprietary firmware blobs installed by default? Is possible to know that info (maybe with a command or with Yast)?
openSUSE does a good job at separating nonfree programs from free ones, as it has a separate OSS repo. Also, their policies for user contributions are pretty strict. Finally, we on GeekosDAW are pretty strict about only allowing FLOSS-licensed code (for branding graphics, we might make some exceptions and also allow CC-By-ND).

The only (huge, IMHO) no-no (in my book and AFAIK) is that the default installer installs proprietary blobs for Wifi. It's easy to get rid of them, just uninstall and blacklist them from YaST and they will never bother you again. They should be in kernel-firmware, but be careful when removing them because I am not sure those packages only contain nonessential proprietary stuff :?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

Basslint wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:07 am openSUSE does a good job at separating nonfree programs from free ones, as it has a separate OSS repo. Also, their policies for user contributions are pretty strict. Finally, we on GeekosDAW are pretty strict about only allowing FLOSS-licensed code (for branding graphics, we might make some exceptions and also allow CC-By-ND).
Wonderful to know that GeekosDAW has a libre spirit. So, Can openSUSE works without the non-open-source repos? I can't find information about that. I feel that in the openSUSE community don't exist a free/libre branch like other distros.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

digitsun wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:29 am Wonderful to know that GeekosDAW has a libre spirit. So, Can openSUSE works without the non-open-source repos? I can't find information about that. I feel that in the openSUSE community don't exist a free/libre branch like other distros.
Yes, it does. I don't use any proprietary software, so AFAIK my system is at the moment 100% libre (unless something slipped in without me noticing!). All I did was uninstall the kernel-firmware packages and "taboo" them from YaST and never install the non-oss repo. If you want me to do some checks, just tell me!

digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

@Basslint thanks for the information. I don't know the openSUSE community, that's all. Well, I will try Geekos DAW in this week, I've looked the packages of the Geeko repository and is a valuable effort. Thank you for all your work.

Peace
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Just like to add openSUSE is very strict on opensource.

That why we have to add packman, for non free codecs, and openSUSE will not install proprietary drivers from amd or nvidia by it self.

For gamers with a nvidia card this might be a problem, because the opensource nvidia drivers are not nearly as good (performance) as the proprietary drivers.

I am also a bit of a gamer, and am very happy with the current state of the opensource AMD drivers.

I remember when steam came to Linux, and I was complaining to amd about their Linux driver.
My pc's are dual boot for may years now, so its for me easy to compare a game on Linux vs a game on windows.
Back then serious sam 3 run fine on windows 7, but not on Linux.

These days the opensource amd drivers are awesome.

I doubt this to be relevant to using a DAW though, then the opensource nvidia drivers are good enough.
I am on openSUSE tumble weed, and according to the openSUSE forum, you cant install the proprietary NVIDIA drivers on thumbleweed.
Tumbleweed is a rolling release, there is also openSUSE leap. which is not a rolling release.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I just added the Geekos repository.

First impression, omg. :)

LMMS has Carla and LV2 support, and I only added this repository, and then did an update. (geekos updater)

It also installed a small program that can add you to the audio group.

The part I don't get, LMMS seems to sound better. :shock:

One synth did not make a sound(lv2) but I need to some more investigation. This could be a user error.
Calf organ (lv2) did work.

Vestige is also working, just as it should be.

I had given up on using LMMS from openSUSE. I was using the appimage file.
Now I will use this version, from the Geekos repository. 8)

This truly is a great addition to opensuse.

Big problem with LMMS and opensuse, and Ubuntu and about every distro around, is that the package builders do not know what LMMS is, nor what it should be able to do.

Wine ? Why does LMMS need wine? Is LMMS not a native Linux program ? Carla ? what is Carla?

I have to admit the openSUSE LMMS package builder did respond to me, and fixed a lot of the issues.
This ended with two LMMS versions and two Carla versions in the opensuse repository. One with wine support one without. :)

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Thank you for trying it out @Gps! :D I love LMMS, great piece of software. I think it's the most user-friendly DAW, for sure :D

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I wanted to see if I can get the newer calfplugins working in LMMS. The ones with a gui.

Because an appimage file does not install a program, it complicates moving stuff, like the LV2 calf plugins to the right folder.

When I asked about this on the LMMS forum, I did not get any useful reply. I might have to contact the developer of LV2 for LMMS.

If I understand things right , I can load the newer LV2 calf plugins, but I do not see the Calf gui. There is some gui and I could automate the knobs, but were is that nice Calf gui ? :?

Already asked about this on the LMMS discord too, but again did not get an useful answer there.

I loved how the geekos updater, removed LMMS and Carla and then installed LMMS and Carla from the Geekos repository.
I also loved how easy it is to be added to the audio group. Double click the small program. :D

On the LMMS forum I am about the only one on Linux, most are on windows.....
And that's were my problem starts, at least on the LMMS forum I am the Carla and LV2 expert, but Calf LV2 is not working yet as I am expecting.

For those wondering what gui I am talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_PR46u ... AeI&t=783s

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am asking about my issue on the github now.

Lets hope I get an good answer there. The most confusing part for me is, should it work ?

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/562

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Already got an answer.

No Calf gui yet in LMMS.

zonkmachine wrote:

No gui support yet via lmms native lv2. This works with Carla though. Some plugins are blacklisted for now for various reasons, most commonly because they simply wont work without the gui but also other issues. Some Calf plugins are among those blacklisted. They can be enabled though. See this comment on startup:

Lv2 Plugins blacklisted: 67 of 744
If you want to ignore the blacklist (dangerous!), please set
environment variable "LMMS_IGNORE_BLACKLIST" to nonempty.

So lets try it through Carla, but I can't automate stuff from Carla in LMMS yet as far as I know.
For most calf plugins this should not be a problem though. :)

At least I now know this is not an openSUSE issue, nor an issue on my site.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Can you find an alternative for those CALF plugins, maybe? CALF plugins are a great milestone of FLOSS audio but sadly, they don't seem to be actively developed and there are good alternatives for most of them. On the GeekosDAW Telegram group we discussed about which ones we found superior to their alternatives and the only one I can recall is Vintage Delay. x42 and LSP plugins have you covered for almost all use cases and some external plugins (such as CHOWTapeModel) finish the job.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Basslint wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:24 am

Can you find an alternative for those CALF plugins, maybe? CALF plugins are a great milestone of FLOSS audio but sadly, they don't seem to be actively developed and there are good alternatives for most of them. On the GeekosDAW Telegram group we discussed about which ones we found superior to their alternatives and the only one I can recall is Vintage Delay. x42 and LSP plugins have you covered for almost all use cases and some external plugins (such as CHOWTapeModel) finish the job.

To be honest, I love how they look and am for some time hoping these newer calf plugins will work in LMMS.

If I get it right though they finally work in LMMS, but do not show their gui yet.

I will have a look at the plugins you suggested. :)