No more sound after update, probably related to PulseAudio

Official support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: falkTX, MattKingUSA, khz

rotindo
Established Member

Re: No more sound after update, probably related to PulseAudio

Postby rotindo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 am

Aleks wrote:Well. I guess this is not much of a help, but several times I decided that the least complicated solution is to reinstall the whole OS. That's why my home folder is always on a separate partition.

Yes, I know this could be a solution. Indeed, I use it quite regularly. But now is not a good time for me to be that radical :(

rotindo
Established Member

Postby rotindo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 am

sysrqer wrote:Could you post the output of

Code: Select all

pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index'

Unless I'm reading your post incorrectly it seems that the hardware works when you choose the correct output so I would guess that pulseaudio is set to use the wrong output - see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... put_source
This would make sense because if you're getting no errors from pulseaudio then it it would suggest that there isn't a problem with it running as such.
Did you check in alsamixer to see if anything is muted? I scanned the posts but didn't see any mention of it but sorry if you already have.

Yes, I checked alsamixer :wink: But everything was on. I even cracked all volumes up to the max. To no avail.

Good reasoning about PulseAudio not issuing errors! So:

$ pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index'
  * index: 0
        name: <alsa_output.platform-snd_aloop.0.analog-stereo>
    index: 1
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>

As suggested in the Arch Wiki, I tried to “set-default-sink”. That's much better thanks!

I did my tests on VLC again and here are the new results:

1. if I configure it so that the “Audio Preference Output Module” is “PulseAudio audio output”, VLC proposes me two “Audio Devices”
1.a. with “Loopback Analog Stereo” I still get no sound
1.b. with “Built-in Audio Analog Stereo” I get sound … That's new, great!

2. if I configure it so that the “Audio Preference Output Module” is “ALSA”, VLC proposes me many “Audio Devices”
2.a. with the “Playback/Recording through PulseAudio server” (which it selects by default) I get sound … That's new, great!
2.b. with “HDA Intel ALC889 Analog Default Audio Device” and most of the others (except Loopbacks) I get sound as previously

SMPLayer works fine with both “alsa” and “pulse” “Audio Output Driver” but don't with the more specific “pulse (0 - < alsa_output.platform-snd_aloop.0.analog-stereo>)” and “pulse (1 - <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog.stereo>)”. This very last result is quite strange as we just determined it is the correct sink. But in a way, whatever…

So thanks!

I'll now try and test what happens when JACK comes back in the equation.

rotindo
Established Member

Postby rotindo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:59 am

Firing up JACK while ALSA and PulseAudio are running…

I first try with the “ALSA -> PulseAudio -> JACK (Plugin)” bridge (in Cadence.JACK Bridges.ALSA Audio). And I have no more sound.

Two possible clues:

1. If i run an aplay command, I don't get any error message but aplay stalls. I have to manually abort it (<ctrl>+c)

2.a. If I start JACK after PulseAudio I get, as I do since I tweaked the "set-default-sink", ie.

$ pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index'
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
    index: 1

2.b. But if I start JACK before PulseAudio, I lose my prefered sink:

Any idea?

sysrqer
Established Member

Postby sysrqer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 am

This might be something best answered by falktx, I've noticed similar (and other) things with cadence and pulseaudio so I no longer use it.
You could give qjackctl a try with these instructions - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13234&hilit=pulseaudio+Tramp#p58043
It looks a bit complicated but it's pretty simple really. I still use catia for routing though.

federicobriata

Postby federicobriata » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi all,
I run into the same problem.
I had this issue with Debian stretch, on another partition with Ubuntu 16.04 after the update had the same problem.

Do you know what I can downgrade to workaround this issue?

@falkTX, I tried with catia but it''s empty.
Have you been able to reproduce this issue?

regards,
Federico

Return to “KXStudio Discussion”