Ultralite AVB

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nandoll
Established Member

Re: Ultralite AVB

Post by nandoll »

@AudioNarwhal: returning to this thread after quite a while, so insanely GOOD to have you here! I'll jump in, first with my current status (sorry for the long post), then some questions in a subsequent post...

=== Current status:

== @ home:
motu: 8M + 16A combo (AVB connected), currently running firmware 1.3.5+1434 on both (very briefly tried 1.4*, quickly went back as it seemed to have more problems but did not test for long). Each one is connected (USB2) to a computer running Linux.
distro: Fedora 36
kernel: currently 5.19.12 running PREEMPT=full - Fedora kernel built from .src.rpm with added patch so that it does not complain about duplicated endpoints
driver: drumfix usb avb driver (current git), loaded as a dkms module with samplerate=48000, midi=0, vendor=1

Results:
Running at @48KHz with a 256 sample buffer, jackd v2, 64 I/O channels over USB2 in so called "vendor mode" (using the motu endpoints, not the class compliant ones). The main software (four threads of SuperCollider supernova server audio processing) is running in four "isolated" cores of the eight available (small fanless Ryzen 8 core/16 thread computer based on an Asus PN51 nuc), other jack software in other threads (speaker processor, ambisonics decoder, etc).

After a reboot, or when coming back from sleep, I run the magic curl code that turns the Motu audio interface into vendor=1 mode (from the class compliant mode it switches to when the Linux driver connects).

Once I get the jackd server started it runs fine. Initial startup is tricky. The input channels usually start with an 8xn offset from where they should be, I think output channels are normally fine (I check inputs only initially). Restarting jackd several times eventually gets them right, and after that I do not see channel hopping (at least it has never happened while I have been performing with the system). Very very occasionally I have seen weird distortion (high pitched periodic noise) which is one of the failure modes I have seen. Again, never seen that while performing (lucky, I guess). I perform at home (through the internet), or take the whole system to a venue where I interface using AVB to the speaker array.

== @ ccrma (Stanford University)

This is complicated. I designed/maintain two big systems that use Motu hardware

== Stage: this is in our small concert hall and drives a quite complex 56.8 speaker array (in a full dome over the audience area). We have 9 Motu audio interfaces running the show and a computer that boots into the working system. The selection of Motu relied on being able to run 64 channels over USB using the class compliant driver in Linux, which appeared at some point with a firmware upgrade (tested and worked fine). I came to regret this as that option was taken away in a subsequent firmware upgrade.

The two audio interfaces that connect to Linux computers (main control computer and regular desktop workstation for user interaction) are running very ancient firmware (1.2.8, I would have to check, usually 16A hardware), class compliant drivers, and run at 48KHz/44.1KHz, 64 channels, 256 or 128 sample buffers. The other audio interfaces, including the ones where users can connect to the system through USB are mostly upgraded to the latest firmware (usually Mac laptops). Performance is "adequate". Sometimes the whole system can get into a bad state (symptom: periodic high frequency buzzing in some of the outputs, loud clicks sometimes), and the only way out is a reboot of the Motu hardware - sometimes a couple of interfaces is enough if it is localized, most times all Motu hardware, including the AVB switches, needs to be restarted. Depending on the problems sometimes a reboot of the control computer is enough.

== Listening Room: a specialized full 3d (speakers below a grid floor) 22.8 system in a medium sized studio. Migrated from an RME system to make it easier to connect user's computers (only USB needed with the proper Motu drivers, same as in the Stage above). Same characteristics as the Stage system, only four Motu audio interfaces. Same issues.

Plus:
== GRAIL: this is a "portable" speaker array we take to other venues to play concerts. Depending on the particular concert we can deploy up to 32 speakers with 8 subs. We use a mix of Motu audio interfaces, number depends on requirements (at least 6 in most cases). Startup of the system is "manual" and we still rely, as in the other systems, on Motu hardware that can run firmware 1.2.8 for the interfaces that connect to Linux computers (16A hardware)...

Long term very problematic, as new Motu hardware cannot be downgraded to 1.2.8...

So....
I have been using my home system as the "testing ground" for a solution that does not rely on the class compliant driver AND can run 64 channels over USB. Drumfix's solution comes quite close and I am using it all the time, but it is not something that I could migrate to at ccrma due to the startup problems I encounter. I guess I could find a way to script the startup process (ie: start, test loopback, retry if channels are wrong) but it would be a hack...

One more datapoint:
I encountered this in our Listening Room system. A user with a Mac laptop, updated Motu drivers, and bad problems with channel hopping and noises of all kinds. I had never witnessed this with someone running OSX. Other users (different computers) did not report problems. The exact same hardware had been running for a long time. Replacing the USB cables fixed it! So, this points, as outlined before in the thread, to problems in Motu's firmware where it cannot recover from USB error conditions on its own (ie: problems are not only experienced in Linux).

nandoll
Established Member

Post by nandoll »

nandoll wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:50 pm

@AudioNarwhal: returning to this thread after quite a while, so insanely GOOD to have you here! I'll jump in, first with my current status (sorry for the long post), then some questions in a subsequent post...

=== Current status:

Adding one more data point to the current status:

Just yesterday (before re-reading this thread!) I did some tests with a Motu Ultralite AVB (the original? Does not say mk anything). I connected it to the same system that is normally connected to the 8M (as in the previous post). This is again using Drumfix's driver ("motu"):

vendor=1 midi=1 samplerate=48000:
(64 channels) I managed to get output going fine, input was again offset modulo 8 but I was not able to restart jackd and get inputs to align correctly. I eventually gave up (this was a test to see if I could use this hardware for a more "mobile" version of my performance setup). The channel numbering was wrong but I did not notice channel hopping (I left it running for a couple of hours and when I checked it was fine - of course it could have hopped away and back again :-)

vendor=0 midi=1 samplerate=48000:
Restricted to 24 channels by the Motu firmware, this seemed to work fine, both input and output were correctly aligned and I did not get any channel hopping, but my test was not that long in this mode.

nandoll
Established Member

Post by nandoll »

@AudioNarwhal: ... then some questions in a subsequent post...

After re-reading the last few pages of this (fantastic!) thread, I see a couple of issues being addressed:

a) channel hopping and other glitchy behavior in class compliant mode:
there is a potential improvement when running a kernel with the snd-usb-audio-printk-6.0.3.patch, this would just use the snd-usb-audio driver
(latest version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-00_qF ... v-rNr/view). This would also limit the channel count to what the current max is for the Motu firmware (24 channels), and potentially introduce a 12mS output latency penalty - to perhaps be solved in the future.

b) better recovery from usb error conditions inside the Motu audio interface:
there may be test firmware images we could use, I would be happy to test those, time permitting (I can test on a Motu 8M or a 16A easily, while I could test on an UltraLite AVB this is not what I currently use).

I could test a) and b), but this would not be really useful to me in "production" as...
Not addressed (yet? - cross fingers on this!) on this thread:

c) being able to use Motu hardware under Linux with full 64 channel I/O using USB @ 44.1 or 48KHz sampling rate. I can currently do this with quite a bit of success using Drumfix's "motu" driver (with "vendor=1" and the curl incantation). I can also do this currently with old 1.2.8 versions of the firmware on old hardware, in class compliant mode.

Is my assessment correct?

nandoll
Established Member

Post by nandoll »

nandoll wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 am

@AudioNarwhal: ... then some questions in a subsequent post...

Not addressed (yet? - cross fingers on this!) on this thread:

c) being able to use Motu hardware under Linux with full 64 channel I/O using USB @ 44.1 or 48KHz sampling rate. ...

If a) and b) solve (or ameliorate) the problems we see in class compliant mode, I imagine it would be possible to add the proper quirks to the kernel driver to point to the alternate endpoints that allow 64 channel transfers - module the patch in the kernel so that it does not complain about duplicated endpoints (I was doing that before using the full "motu" driver by Drumfix)...

jkohls
Established Member

Post by jkohls »

shellwalker wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:13 pm

But I'm wondering: does anyone have an idea how we organize this whole patching & debugging information and the test-results in a better way? I'm afraid we'll soon lose overview... :roll:
Suggestions are welcome!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I ended up going out of town for Thanksgiving but now I'm back and still have time and motivation to contribute to this. My suggestion is we use any existing issue management system @AudioNarwhal is already using (if available to us) or whatever the Narwhal prefers.

Here's my suggestion.

I'd create a dedicated repository for testing, tracking issues, and collecting test results. It could potentially contain the patch but I'd not check it in unless given the okay to do so. The readme would contain instructions that pull together from the various comments here on how to compile, install, and enable the required logging. There should be a script to harvest environment info (software versions, hardware IDs, etc), dump logs, etc. Automated and manual tests would be contained so we have a head start on documenting steps to reproduce issues.

It seems like there's at least three of us up and running with this patch and logging so I'm guessing it won't be long before we've all got some amount of feedback and ideas. A dedicated space for those discussions will do a lot to prevent this thread from getting out of control. I can think of a few places where something like this could live (Drumfix repo or Shellwalker wiki) but I can see an advantage to a dedicated repo as well.

Unless someone else has already started or people are fine with what we have already I volunteer to pull something together.

shellwalker
Established Member

Post by shellwalker »

jkohls wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:13 pm

It seems like there's at least three of us up and running with this patch and logging so I'm guessing it won't be long before we've all got some amount of feedback and ideas. A dedicated space for those discussions will do a lot to prevent this thread from getting out of control. I can think of a few places where something like this could live (Drumfix repo or Shellwalker wiki) but I can see an advantage to a dedicated repo as well.

Unless someone else has already started or people are fine with what we have already I volunteer to pull something together.

Great!! I was thinking along the same line. Maybe just rigging a Github repo would be sufficient, assuming we can use Githubs issue management system. My own repo is just a fork of Drumfix one, so probably not the right place.
Also I'm not sure whether everyone involved here also has a Github account in order to contribute on Guthub platform. Needs to be checked.

AudioNarwhal needs to state whether it's ok to stage the patch there and should state the license (which I am assuming to be GPL in order to be compliant with the kernel...).

MOTU 828mk3, MOTU 828ES, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, https://github.com/shellwalker-coder/motu_patch_testing

AudioNarwhal
Established Member

Post by AudioNarwhal »

@buonamorte.records Thank you for the logs. Unfortunately, the dynamic-debug information seems to be missing from them. (The dynamic debug control file has to get re-written on each boot-up.) Could you share your lspci too?

@baptiste I was able to reproduce a babble here, although it was related to a sampling rate change. Basically, if I use the front panel to set the UltraLite to a higher sampling rate than ALSA thinks is set while audio is streaming, I see babble errors. I had this happen to me once when ALSA had driven the change, but I wasn't able to reproduce it. I need to dig more into this aspect of the issue.

@shellwalker @nandoll @jkohls and anyone I missed, interesting discussions here! I don't have time to address everything right now as I have been concentrating on making a firmware build, but I will write back soon.

I wanted to share this UltraLite firmware (1.4.3+92494) to see if it makes any difference for the better. This firmware attempts to put a watchdog on the USB read-write delta for playback only. For now, this will only have an impact on the playback direction and on normal class compliant operation (24 channels). There is a potential issue when the stream stops, where the watchdog thinks the stopping stream is an error condition, and may fail to mute the USB channels properly, I haven't seen it cause any major issues yet in my testing, but just something to look out for. This isn't fully tested, so please treat it as a beta build. Let me know how it goes. (If this seems like an improvement for the UltraLite it should be straightforward to bring to the other products)

The firmware:
MOTU AVB 1.4.3+92494 for UltraLite AVB and Stage-B16.update

supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

AudioNarwhal wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:42 am

I wanted to share this UltraLite firmware (1.4.3+92494) to see if it makes any difference for the better. This firmware attempts to put a watchdog on the USB read-write delta for playback only.

I have an 8pre-ES, and I don't believe I've ever had a problem on the input side. I've noticed that whenever I've lost playback/play through my daw, the input meters and master bus are showing signals - the problem is always going out of the daw. Thanks for working on this. I suspect what ever solves this issue on on the Ultralite will be applicable to your other interfaces, but if there is any way I could be of help using my 8pre-ES, let me know.

shellwalker
Established Member

Post by shellwalker »

AudioNarwhal wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:42 am

The firmware:
MOTU AVB 1.4.3+92494 for UltraLite AVB and Stage-B16.update

Hi Dylan,
Thanks for sharing this.
Does this beta FW go together with your kernel patch or can one use it without the kernel patch?

Cheers!

MOTU 828mk3, MOTU 828ES, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, https://github.com/shellwalker-coder/motu_patch_testing

stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Could this firmware go for the 828ES ?

AudioNarwhal
Established Member

Post by AudioNarwhal »

shellwalker wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:02 am

Does this beta FW go together with your kernel patch or can one use it without the kernel patch?

You can use the firmware with or without the patch. The firmware makes the device recover from dropped usb packets and the patch reduces the number of dropped usb packets. So both together should have the best performance, but you can use the firmware alone.

baptiste
Established Member

Post by baptiste »

So i've been testing the beta firmware + patched kernel for two full days now. As usual, i need almost 48h to see some issues. It has been pretty much stable running at 192kHz/1024/3 -im doing some visual stuff with my xyz scope these days.
Then it did this (module load included for context) :

Code: Select all

94517.044647] MOTU Patch - 6.0.3
[94517.044650] usb 1-2: Delaying URB submission due to implicit fb sync
[94517.044653] usb 1-2: Starting data EP 0x87 (running 0)
[94517.044713] usb 1-2: 12 URBs submitted for EP 0x87
[94517.047816] usb 1-2: Starting data EP 0x87 (running 1)
[94517.047821] usb 1-2: 2:1 Start Capture PCM
[94517.047823] usb 1-2: 1:1 Start Playback PCM
[94524.324079] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94524.324845] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[94525.232320] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94525.232849] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[94556.268642] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94556.268899] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[94650.214251] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94650.215023] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[94695.584938] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94695.585079] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[94749.711776] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94749.712171] usb 1-2: frame 4 active: -71
[94788.897254] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94788.897281] usb 1-2: frame 7 active: -71
[94797.864463] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94797.865263] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[94809.228909] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94809.229240] usb 1-2: frame 4 active: -71
[94885.624833] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94885.625358] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[94888.990704] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94888.991338] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[94951.873656] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94951.874427] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[94965.635174] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[94965.635460] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[95040.515902] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95040.516545] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[95070.609810] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95070.610576] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[95090.481832] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95090.482627] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[95105.249481] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95105.249634] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[95117.458377] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95117.458643] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[95147.216914] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95147.217702] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[95253.495744] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95253.495846] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[95308.802387] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95308.802895] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[95320.415259] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95320.415907] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[95334.772802] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95334.772958] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[95344.112804] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95344.112930] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[95600.153038] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95600.153296] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[95630.917673] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95630.918320] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[95716.653671] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95716.654450] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[95750.287223] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95750.287489] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[95793.981014] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95793.981539] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[95805.295922] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95805.296558] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[95874.451006] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95874.451651] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[95895.999918] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95896.000680] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[95945.208230] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95945.208757] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[95973.029267] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[95973.029796] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[96011.370197] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96011.370841] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96060.491639] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96060.491905] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[96063.224127] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96063.224907] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[96065.919264] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96065.919909] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96098.161807] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96098.161950] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96108.346331] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96108.346967] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96122.157331] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96122.157990] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96129.559868] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96129.559994] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96136.465350] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96136.465994] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96160.920508] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96160.921029] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[96186.046424] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96186.047077] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96192.231703] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96192.232079] usb 1-2: frame 4 active: -71
[96218.586971] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96218.587111] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96255.499534] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96255.500181] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96284.873205] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96284.873225] usb 1-2: frame 7 active: -71
[96349.780542] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96349.781300] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[96405.335731] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96405.336378] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96406.180241] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96406.180374] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96431.517244] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96431.517389] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96442.335140] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96442.335419] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[96451.339779] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96451.340422] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96509.006221] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96509.006489] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[96545.372302] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96545.372548] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[96557.494292] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96557.494398] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96557.494559] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[96557.494566] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96607.832996] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96607.833638] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96633.554886] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96633.555666] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[96686.079582] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96686.079734] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96689.656596] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96689.656737] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96690.749614] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96690.749729] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96712.807641] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96712.807781] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96741.808561] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96741.808809] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[96778.087712] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96778.087851] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[96781.118241] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96781.118881] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96843.119299] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96843.119940] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[96931.339285] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96931.340094] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[96934.580921] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[96934.581045] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97011.101149] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97011.101161] usb 1-2: frame 7 active: -71
[97016.702550] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97016.703188] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[97038.251427] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97038.252194] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97060.769083] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97060.769223] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97086.106125] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97086.106261] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97142.381592] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97142.382342] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97148.107221] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97148.107356] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97148.989103] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97148.989349] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[97267.389858] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97267.390502] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[97310.152338] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97310.152590] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[97310.661438] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97310.661577] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97311.791802] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97311.792575] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97322.274319] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97322.274579] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[97439.917466] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97439.917733] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[97459.951163] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97459.951803] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[97470.980144] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97470.980780] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[97485.337669] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97485.337784] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97524.225082] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97524.225842] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97545.253860] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97545.253873] usb 1-2: frame 7 active: -71
[97619.810212] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97619.810979] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97634.167751] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97634.168018] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[97639.259979] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97639.259992] usb 1-2: frame 7 active: -71
[97651.506246] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97651.507028] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97658.747158] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97658.748049] usb 1-2: frame 0 active: -71
[97728.237618] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97728.238138] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[97753.601017] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97753.601155] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97775.571074] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97775.571204] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97801.851573] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97801.851685] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97801.852239] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[97801.852251] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[97829.672632] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97829.673280] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[97838.764144] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97838.764259] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97839.608674] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97839.609307] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[97847.644507] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97847.645360] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97899.672213] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97899.672353] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[97955.649683] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97955.650502] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97958.220529] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97958.221441] usb 1-2: frame 0 active: -71
[97971.646700] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97971.647446] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[97974.194452] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[97974.194471] usb 1-2: frame 7 active: -71
[98025.015869] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98025.016510] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[98042.441296] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98042.441568] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[98083.688480] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98083.688597] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98084.532966] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98084.533603] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[98175.994599] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98175.994740] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98184.241596] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98184.241737] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98188.663106] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98188.663749] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[98199.480976] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98199.481755] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[98212.360645] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98212.360773] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98220.061138] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98220.061777] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[98220.943033] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98220.943807] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[98359.464341] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98359.464966] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[98368.220459] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98368.220977] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[98392.253397] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98392.254049] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[98468.897897] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98468.898121] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[98475.467995] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98475.468108] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98489.316375] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98489.317144] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[98505.773029] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98505.773158] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98508.803526] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98508.804164] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71
[98509.685394] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98509.686191] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
[98558.931081] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98558.931211] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98568.260117] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98568.260278] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98574.928120] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98574.928261] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98575.078735] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98575.079253] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
[98591.720152] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98591.720274] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98614.660043] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98614.660154] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98614.660312] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
[98614.660319] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98640.208191] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98640.208330] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
[98677.780488] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98677.781413] usb 1-2: frame 0 active: -71
[98691.726768] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
[98691.727410] usb 1-2: frame 2 active: -71

Could it be related to my USB cable ? I had to lend my second reliable one, so i can't test this now. The sound was distorted/decimated, no channel hopping, but i had some loud clicks on the main outputs that i could also see in the mixer. Also i was suprised that it could run at 192kHz with the mixer, IIRC that was not possible before.

AudioNarwhal
Established Member

Post by AudioNarwhal »

stanlea wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:02 am

I can make a build for the 828es in the near future, I just want to make sure I'm on the right path with the UltraLite.

@baptiste This is definitely curious, it could be due to a bad cable, but I can't tell. If you have a recipe to make this happen let me know. If I can catch it in the act I'll be able to tell why these errors occur. One interesting thing about 176.4kHz/192kHz is that in class mode it is the only rate that uses multiple isoc transfers per micro frame. Perhaps there is an issue with the data toggle, I've seen that before with some hosts. If you happen to catch it again, or still have the logs open would it be possible to upload the complete logs (things that happened between 94517.047823 and 94524.324079)? Maybe there is something else hidden in there.

@nandoll I haven't forgotten you--I'll write back soon!

baptiste
Established Member

Post by baptiste »

AudioNarwhal wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:12 am

(things that happened between 94517.047823 and 94524.324079)? Maybe there is something else hidden in there.

Code: Select all

Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac kernel: [94517.044650] usb 1-2: Delaying URB submission due to implicit fb sync
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac kernel: [94517.044653] usb 1-2: Starting data EP 0x87 (running 0)
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac kernel: [94517.044713] usb 1-2: 12 URBs submitted for EP 0x87
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac kernel: [94517.047816] usb 1-2: Starting data EP 0x87 (running 1)
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac kernel: [94517.047821] usb 1-2: 2:1 Start Capture PCM
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac kernel: [94517.047823] usb 1-2: 1:1 Start Playback PCM
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac pulseaudio[1390]: JACK error >Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/85)(1: Opération non permise)<
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac pulseaudio[1390]: JACK error >JackClient::AcquireSelfRealTime error<
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac pulseaudio[1390]: JACK error >Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/85)(1: Opération non permise)<
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac pulseaudio[1390]: JACK error >JackClient::AcquireSelfRealTime error<
Nov 29 17:40:01 multivac gnome-shell[1604]: JS ERROR: shell-volume-mixer@derhofbauer.at | Mixer.js | _updateDefaultSink(): Error: Default sink updated but PA/GVC card not found (4294967295/jack_out)#012error@/home/user/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/shell-volume-mixer@derhofbauer.at/lib/utils/log.js:68:17#012_updateDefaultSink@/home/user/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/shell-volume-mixer@derhofbauer.at/lib/volume/mixer.js:167:17#012async*_onDefaultSinkChanged@/home/user/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/shell-volume-mixer@derhofbauer.at/lib/volume/mixer.js:193:14
Nov 29 17:40:08 multivac kernel: [94524.324079] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:40:08 multivac kernel: [94524.324845] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
Nov 29 17:40:09 multivac kernel: [94525.232320] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:40:09 multivac kernel: [94525.232849] usb 1-2: frame 3 active: -71
Nov 29 17:40:12 multivac rtkit-daemon[1230]: Supervising 6 threads of 6 processes of 1 users.
Nov 29 17:40:40 multivac kernel: [94556.268642] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:40:40 multivac kernel: [94556.268899] usb 1-2: frame 5 active: -71
Nov 29 17:41:12 multivac rtkit-daemon[1230]: message repeated 7 times: [ Supervising 6 threads of 6 processes of 1 users.]
Nov 29 17:41:26 multivac rtkit-daemon[1230]: Supervising 6 threads of 6 processes of 1 users.
Nov 29 17:42:14 multivac kernel: [94650.214251] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:42:14 multivac kernel: [94650.215023] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
Nov 29 17:42:26 multivac rtkit-daemon[1230]: message repeated 9 times: [ Supervising 6 threads of 6 processes of 1 users.]
Nov 29 17:42:59 multivac kernel: [94695.584938] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:42:59 multivac kernel: [94695.585079] usb 1-2: frame 6 active: -71
Nov 29 17:43:00 multivac rtkit-daemon[1230]: Supervising 6 threads of 6 processes of 1 users.
Nov 29 17:43:53 multivac kernel: [94749.711776] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:43:53 multivac kernel: [94749.712171] usb 1-2: frame 4 active: -71
Nov 29 17:44:12 multivac rtkit-daemon[1230]: message repeated 11 times: [ Supervising 6 threads of 6 processes of 1 users.]
Nov 29 17:44:26 multivac rtkit-daemon[1230]: Supervising 6 threads of 6 processes of 1 users.
Nov 29 17:44:33 multivac kernel: [94788.897254] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:44:33 multivac kernel: [94788.897281] usb 1-2: frame 7 active: -71
Nov 29 17:44:41 multivac kernel: [94797.864463] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:44:41 multivac kernel: [94797.865263] usb 1-2: frame 1 active: -71
Nov 29 17:44:53 multivac kernel: [94809.228909] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Transfer error for slot 3 ep 14 on endpoint
Nov 29 17:44:53 multivac kernel: [94809.229240] usb 1-2: frame 4 active: -71
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

AudioNarwhal wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:12 am
stanlea wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:02 am

I can make a build for the 828es in the near future, I just want to make sure I'm on the right path with the UltraLite.

Makes sense.