Ultralite AVB

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baptiste
Established Member

Re: Ultralite AVB

Post by baptiste »

stanlea wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:16 pm

@baptiste : is your laptop AVB capable ?

<offtopic>
It doesn't have an ethernet port, so basically no, BUT you can buy an ethernet expansion card (since all the Framework has is 4 thunderbolt 4 ports), BUT it is based on the RTL8156 which can't do AVB. So no :D
There are the Sonnet and the OWC thunderbolt AVB adapters, they're cheap.
There is also this guy in the comments on an amazon product saying that AVB is supported by the thunderbolt chipset, so you can use any tb to ethernet adapter... I'm confused and will try to test this soon and let you know.
</offtopic>

AudioNarwhal
Established Member

Post by AudioNarwhal »

baptiste wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:29 pm

There is also this guy in the comments on an amazon product saying that AVB is supported by the thunderbolt chipset, so you can use any tb to ethernet adapter...

Thunderbolt in this instance can be thought of as an external pcie port. So, I don’t believe the thunderbolt chipset would be able to provide AVB support or not. If you’re looking for an AVB capable thunderbolt to ethernet adapter you’ll want to make sure the chipset in the adapter supports at least 802.1as and is supported with PTP drivers on linux. You can use software time-stamping without hardware support but I suspect you will run into issues.

baptiste
Established Member

Post by baptiste »

AudioNarwhal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:46 pm

[...]I suspect you will run into issues.

Yeah, the first one being that setting up AVB with Linux in 2023 is still harder than doing black magic. To be fair, it looks like it's almost as badly supported under Windows.
So, anyway, i won't attempt AVB for now and stop steering this topic away from the UL :)

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Hi guys!
I've a strange problem with the new firmware on the ultralite avb es. Playback is crackling and it's distorted, coming out from 1-2, 9-10, 17-18. Same thing in a patched kernel laptop and not-patched other laptop... :roll:

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Same problem with 1.4.4, changing os and usb cable...

AudioNarwhal
Established Member

Post by AudioNarwhal »

buonamorte.records wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 pm

Hi guys!
I've a strange problem with the new firmware on the ultralite avb es. Playback is crackling and it's distorted, coming out from 1-2, 9-10, 17-18. Same thing in a patched kernel laptop and not-patched other laptop...

I am able to confirm issues with this firmware and the UltraLite AVB ES specifically. I would have expected no difference in this regard versus the non ES variants, but something is definitely different. I'm looking to see if I can find out what is different.

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Hi @AudioNarwhal ,
do you have news about the ultralite es problem?
Always thanks a lot!!

michaelv
Established Member

Post by michaelv »

AudioNarwhal wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:42 pm
buonamorte.records wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 pm

Hi guys!
I've a strange problem with the new firmware on the ultralite avb es. Playback is crackling and it's distorted, coming out from 1-2, 9-10, 17-18. Same thing in a patched kernel laptop and not-patched other laptop...

I am able to confirm issues with this firmware and the UltraLite AVB ES specifically. I would have expected no difference in this regard versus the non ES variants, but something is definitely different. I'm looking to see if I can find out what is different.

Hi Guys,
i have also the same problem with the Ultralite AVB ES Version. Firmware 1.4.0+90954 works well without crackling sound and distortions and firmwares 1.4.3+92494, 1.4.4+92559 and 1.4.5+92559 has distortions and the crackling sound so i reverted back to
1.4.0+90954

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Are you using the kernel patch with 1.4.0?

michaelv
Established Member

Post by michaelv »

buonamorte.records wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:57 am

Are you using the kernel patch with 1.4.0?

i used to use the drumfixdriver and kernelpatch. But right now im using Ultralite without patch and drumfixdriver with kernel 6.1.x

buonamorte.records
Established Member

And is it working well? No channel hopping or distortions?

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ »

Long time LinuxMusician lurker here.

I've had the 828ES for a couple of years now & love it.

I use it with other OS's macos, windows 11 & manjaro Linux (now unusable with the channel skipping), so my question to @AudioNarwhal would the experimental firmware still work well with the latest drivers on macos & windows 11?

As much as I'd like to use linux exclusively for audio production, I use kontakt for quality orchestral sample libraries & had too many problems with it & other windows plugins on linux. But hey that's another story......

It's really great to see Motu taking an interest in the linux community.

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ »

So I thought I'd go ahead & give it a go. So far no channel hopping on linux & Reaper plus other apps, Firefox etc. seem to be working well.

The 828es with the updated firmware still seems to work as before under windows but I haven't tested macos yet.

shellwalker
Established Member

Post by shellwalker »

AudioNarwhal wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:42 pm

Hi @AudioNarwhal ,
Its been quiet here for a while. Do you have any news on the above issue?
Also I am not sure about the general status of the new beta firmware. I've not been able to test myself due to work overload, but as far as I understood from the various posts, the hopping seems to be gone, but there is still crackling etc. Can you confirm?

MOTU 828mk3, MOTU 828ES, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, https://github.com/shellwalker-coder/motu_patch_testing

pyrice

Post by pyrice »

I'm running an Ultralite AVB ES, only as a high-end soundcard, and always at 48 kHz. I have been using the kernel, 5.15.80 and 5.15.88, as is, that is no patch. It has been rock solid for me with 1.4.0+90954. I did however buy a separate PCI-express USB card for the Ultralite. I've been running it for months without any problems.

Upgrading to the newer firmware rendered the glitching sound. So I rolled back to 1.4.0+90954.

I upgraded my kernel to 6.1.12 and also 6.2.0. Now I can only play a couple of minutes before channel skipping starts. This might become a real problem in the future, since I usually upgrade my kernels fairly frequently. I have no clue about the reason for this.

Last edited by pyrice on Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.