Updated list of Linux compatible audio interfaces

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Zeugitai
Established Member

Updated list of Linux compatible audio interfaces

Post by Zeugitai »

In searching the Net for such a list I've found that most if not all such listings are at least five years old. Is there an updated list of audio hardware that is compatible with Linux? (I am attempting to learn to use Ubuntu Studio/Ardour 5 on my old Lenovo W510. I do have USB 3 sockets.) I'll be wanting just two channels for microphone, guitar jacks, and MIDI. Have I overlooked a sufficiently up-to-date list of USB audio interfaces? Thanks
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Updated list of Linux compatible audio interfaces

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Forget about USB-3 interfaces with Linux at this point, many are poorly supported on USB-3 even with Windows (Presonus 1818VSL for a popular example). Most class compliant USB Audio devices on Linux are still USB-2 and will work best with USB-2 ports

I have a PDF compiled by 'piklik' an AV Linux user based on this forum thread (note the thread had some additions not added to the PDF yet):

http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=2180.0

To be fair I think this list is probably current up to 6 months ago and is about as comprehensive as anything else you'll find out there, Of course the data is only as complete as the Users who have taken time to submit but as you can see it has been a very active thread..

piklik's PDF is here: http://bandshed.net/pdf/LinuxFullySuppo ... ice9k2.pdf
Last edited by GMaq on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

As you see in the RC300/BG80 Thread, there are quite some problems with Roland devices.

Totally missing in the list of professinal devices are

- Behringer X32 Series/XR18: USB class compliant
- Motu AVB series: USB class compliant, probably AVB if Intel i210-T1 network card and the OpenAvNu driver is installed (untested)
- Audinate Dante PCIe card with the Linux driver (www.fouraudio.com) (untested)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Great new additions!

This is the problem with all hardware lists, people need to actually own/possess the hardware for testing and then make an effort to post it somewhere, quite often only step 1 happens.. :wink:

This is also potentially interesting as it seems Tascam 16x08 is supported in very recent 4.11+ kernels. Someone is working on a native Linux Mixer UI, but it seems to still require a custom kernel patch:

https://github.com/onkelDead/tascam-gtk
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

Forget about USB-3 interfaces with Linux at this point, many are poorly supported on USB-3 even with Windows (Presonus 1818VSL for a popular example). Most class compliant USB Audio devices on Linux are still USB-2 and will work best with USB-2 ports
It's interesting to hear that in your experience this is still the case because there are varying opinions and claims about the topic. I guess mileage varies depending on hardware, system configuration and so on.

I have a PDF compiled by 'piklik' an AV Linux user based on this forum thread (note the thread had some additions not added to the PDF yet):

http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=2180.0

To be fair I think this list is probably current up to 6 months ago and is about as comprehensive as anything else you'll find out there, Of course the data is only as complete as the Users who have taken time to submit but as you can see it has been a very active thread..

piklik's PDF is here: http://bandshed.net/pdf/LinuxFullySuppo ... ice9k2.pdf

Some additions for the list of devices I own and tested:

[1] Behringer UMC404 works well under Linux even with low latency (64 frames) settings.
I don't know what the situation is with the UMC404HD or how well it works under Linux.

[2] RME9652 HDSP (PCI) audio side works OK but sending MIDI to its integrated MIDI interfaces cause xruns under Linux. This xrun problem on the 9652 goes away when separate USB MIDI interfaces are used instead of the onboard MIDI. I don't know whether my situation is unique or whether others have experienced similar issues. Low-latency operation is OK (works reasonably well when set to 128 frames) but it is not as stellar as the UMC404.

PS, definitely don't go and spend $600 on a PCI Audio Interface. Rather investigate suitable PCIe cards. The 9652 HDSP only makes sense if you get one cheapish, ie pay no more than $150 for one.

[3] Behringer UCA222 / 202 family.
I don't own this but have used it briefly and they work under Linux. They don't have onboard MIDI. I don't have much experience with them. Yes I realise that people will sneer and say it's consumer audio and not "pro" but these soundcards are no worse than many of the hyped brands marketed as "professional" selling for a lot more money and their performance is very competitive.

Some more info from another user.
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/usb-audio-raspberry-pi/
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

FWIW I can run a Native Instruments KA 6 reliably at 32 frames 3 periods/buffer giving 2mS (internal) latency. For some lighter stuff I can go down to 16 frames.

This is USB2 running on a dual core 64 bit intel @ 3.1G with debian 8 and their rt kernel. No other special measures.
The KA 6 is handling audio I/O and MIDI in.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

asbak wrote:
GMaq wrote:Hi,

It's interesting to hear that in your experience this is still the case because there are varying opinions and claims about the topic. I guess mileage varies depending on hardware, system configuration and so on.
Hi asbak,

I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't improved somewhat in the last year or so, but often this depends on improvements to USB-3 in the kernel as well as firmware upgrades in the Audio devices themselves, since many people run LTS-style distros with slightly older kernels and since many Linux users don't have access or prefer not to use a Mac or Windows for firmware upgrades on their devices I think it's just good advice to get started with what is known to work in most cases (ie supported hardware on USB-2) rather than roll the dice on spotty and developing support on USB-3. My statement was intended to be more of a general warning, as always if the users can get the actual device to test on their own hardware with the option to return it if it doesn't work is the best test.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

The UMC404 goes down to 32 frames. The benefits vs potential xruns situation under load just isn't worth the effort.
The KA 6 costs $230. The UMC404 costs $100. Simple buying decision.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Kel
Established Member

Post by Kel »

I am using a Steinberg UR 44 with AV Linux. Also Nektar Impact LX49+, USB-3 works on both.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

May as well throw in some MIDI interfaces:

- Edirol UM-2 works great in Linux, straight out of the box. I use it to connect a pair of networked MTP-AV's to Linux USB.

- M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 Anniversary Edition appears to work straight out of the box as well.

To be specific, this model:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/mi ... ry-edition

I think that the older yellow case MIDISPORT model also works but requires drivers to be loaded.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Podcast studio usb 100% compatible with gnu linux . I have a buy yesterday this bundle and used on asus x54c with kx studio 14.04.05 and ardour 5.12 and Mixbus 4 . No probllem with other programs audio and video production installed on kx studio :wink:

gennaro

Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

Zoom LiveTrak L-12 — works when in class compliant mode.
(must be first switched to the class compliant mode and then powered on.)
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

My RME hdspe card runs also fine in collab with multiface2
For midi the m-audio midisport 4x4 does the work very good.

and yes there no updated list.
I'm maybe planning to buy new interface, like steinberg ur824, i see signs that it works, but if you look on alsa site for soundcard
there no documentation that it's working. Since alsa is responsible for audio hardware it should be maintained on their site IMHO.
Lots of devices are usb audio compliant(for audio passthrough, not mixing or internal effects) but if you check usb audio, there's nothing listed.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

asbak wrote:May as well throw in some MIDI interfaces:

- Edirol UM-2 works great in Linux, straight out of the box. I use it to connect a pair of networked MTP-AV's to Linux USB.

- M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 Anniversary Edition appears to work straight out of the box as well.

To be specific, this model:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/mi ... ry-edition

I think that the older yellow case MIDISPORT model also works but requires drivers to be loaded.
older midisport 2x2 drivers are provided by debian.
I don't know about the new midisport 2x2 but there is a stupid problem with the new 4x4. If it is being sent MIDI before it is powered up it locks up! Both of my keyboards continuously send active status, and are up and running long before the usb subsystem is stable :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

Hi everyone.

I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen and I'm running it with Debian.
It is a beautiful interface and it is automatically recognized by alsa and Jack and I'm generally happy with it, although not all features are supported yet.

I have quite low latency with Reaper in comparison to my build-in laptop soundcard, the sound quality is very good for my untrained ears :P
I run it with jack on 64 periods (11.349 ms full roundtrip latency) for recording, I can hear no latency whatsoever when monitoring. After recording I generally switch to higher periods, as I add VSTs and the CPU load increases.

What works:
- plug and play
- all inputs and outputs are recognized out of the box
- headphone outputs working
- multitrack recording in 32 bit format and playback
- alsamixer can change the clock source of the interface

Whats doesn't work:
- sample rates above 48k, I wouldn't use anything higher anyways as it would mean higher latency, so I don't care
- alsamixer volume controls, the Scarlett has physical volume controls so I wouldn't use alsamixer anyways
- low latency monitoring, but latency is low enough so I don't care
- the interface has 8 outputs, I got only the first 4 of them to work, I don't need more than 2 outputs right now, maybe 2 more with nearfield speakers at some point, so I don't care

Untested:
- changing recording bit size to anything else than 32 bit, I don't know how to test that with Jack
- it is extendable with additional interfaces, which are synced by world clock, but I don't own one so haven't tested this