a short question about .nki

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

a short question about .nki

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello all,

One of my orchestral libraries originates from Kontakt. The file formats given are .nki and .ncw, respectively. in Linux, however, those extensions should be .sfz and .wav. (for inclusion in Carla, later on).

If .nki is indeed a text file (as .sfz. is), it can easily be converted to .sfz, I take it. I have been unable to open it, however, so as to check on this, and I'm now hoping for some enlightenment from this community.

tnob
varpa
Established Member

Re: a short question about .nki

Post by varpa »

There is a linuxsampler tool called nkitool which can convert from nki to sfz: http://www.linuxsampler.org/nkitool/. There is also commercial Windows programs that can do it: http://www.extranslator.com. I have not used either one of these. You can also run Kontakt using wine which works moderately well (have only tried running the demo).
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

The NI sample content has .nkr extensions, and is proprietary.
I doubt NI release any with .wav, but perhaps they allow
third-party libraries to do so in their paid licensing system,
but I don't know those details.

Cakewalk's Dimension Pro samples are .flac and .wav. The Grand Piano sampler folders
are just over 40 gig each, in flac format, and have supporting sfz files,

Dimension Pro Lite runs fine in 32 bit wine, with Reaper,
and is bundled with various sfz soundsets based on E-mu synths at

www.digitalsoundfactory.com

Kontakt will often run in wine, but may need 4 gig ram,
and a core2 duo, or better processor, to be effective.
Basic use of smaller libraries with few tracks/smaller-instruments
can work with 2 gig ram. Kontakt Elements is a cheap way to test things,
or the kontakt demo runs for 15 minutes, before needing to be re-started.
Cheers
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Thanks very much for your help.

Simply changing extension names does the trick, too, I noticed: <'disguised'> formats (i.e. modified) altered to <existing> formats (say, .wav) plays) perfectly in Audacity and VLC, usually. And in Sforzando too, incidentally.

Even underneath some artificial moniker (say, '.blub'), .wav just doesn't cease to be .wav, I reckon. So a format that Carla can process is the only modification applied, in fact. And thus the sample should function normally, since scripts and sound files have not in any way been tampered with!

And so further on to .nki: if this is indeed a text file, it'll equally do exactly the same as before, in my experience, when renamed "sfz". I'm not sure .nki IS a text file, though. And since I'm unable to open such a file (just for a quick look), I'd need a second opinion.

tnob
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

An .nki file is neither a text file nor a wave format file. The simple act of opening it in gedit or audacity should have immediately clued one into that fact, unless someone is completely misunderstanding what he's working with. I've now read several posts containing "theries" and "conclusions" about kontakt, wave, and sfz files from a certain poster, and I'm convinced the latter is the case.

In fact, I know what's inside of an .nki file, and more importantly. how to turn it back into the original set of wave files. A couple of the sfz's I made for gmaq's archive were sourced from free kontakt nki files which I converted so I could rework the original waves. There is absolutely 0% chance of achieving that conversion via renaming the file. I can't even believe the sheer volume of "obtusely-phrased text" already posted entertaining such an unworkable approach. It's like reading a Monty Python skit named "The Reverse-engineering Clinic".

But I've already had only bad experience with the original poster, so if the info is going to come from me, someone else needs to ask. Otherwise, I highly recommend doing something commonsense like... um... seeking info about nki files from a place frequented by folks who have actually created such files? (Glowrak and BrianM, you two guys know where because I've "seen" you there. Tell him, if you deem it isn't a waste of yours and others' time. And be especially mindful of the latter. I can easily see this devolving into another "black eye" for linux).

P.S. Thanks to the "fine work" of overzealous "advocates" (no doubt virtuoso salesmen), it's recommended that you do not use the word "Linux" at all. You won't get the response you want. Ironically this outlet was created by the folks who make the MUSE Receptor, basically a headless computer that plays kontakt libraries using wine/linux. No, I didn't just make that up.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

programLyrique
Established Member

Post by programLyrique »

The former versions of nki were just a gzipped xml file (so, text after ungzipped it with a small C program) when it was not uncrypted. They changed their format and now, it's more complicated. I have not found any info about the inner details on the Internet, and although I started to try to reverse-engineer it (and all the variations of nk*), my weak efforts at it were unsuccessful... So if someone has tips about that, I would be happy to hear them...
Gentoo and pro-audio overlay
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

I've already had only bad experience with the original poster, so if the info is going to come from me, someone else needs to ask.
Jeff,

You're an expert on samples and sampling. I grant you that. But some people (like me, for instance) are not as knowledgeable as you. And so they want to lay out their ideas, from time to time, so as to test viability. Which, in my opinion, is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. Even if said ideas are plain wrong to start with, in the eyes of experts like you. Because, once again, we cannot all be geniuses. By the way: this is meant in the friendliest manner possible.

The only way of increasing knowledge is by asking. No matter how "stupid" the question. And yet: on the first occasion I innocently posted one to this community - in not unreasonable hopes for some assistance in an already longtime quest - I did not in my wildest nightmares expect to receive a barrage of extremely crude and hurtful abuse - only because one jeffg didn't happen to like cause and nature of that query.

This then is the second time that you seek to penalize me for bringing in another perfectly legitimate one: "wrong" again, as it seems. In your eyes at least. And the gist from your reply appears to imply that I should be chased off in peck and feathers for the sheer temerity of putting into words the very assumption previously expressed.

Next step, I guess, is that I'm to be banned forever from this community. And to be shunned by everybody in it to boot, on your say-so. So I take it you never ever had to ask anybody anything, before arriving at your current level of expertise. It just came fully formed from the moment you were born, I suppose.

Hence, the only possible conclusion to derive from your words has to be that those not on your altitude - like me, for instance - are prohibited (at least as far as this forum is concerned) from even attempting.

This is totally unacceptable. But moreover: for the life of me, I fail to grasp why my EVERY question so far seems to get your goat so much.

I honestly don't get it.

tnob
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

I've already had only bad experience with the original poster, so if the info is going to come from me, someone else needs to ask.
Jeff,

You're an expert on samples and sampling. I grant you that. But some people (like me, for instance) are not as knowledgeable as you. And so they want to lay out their ideas, from time to time, so as to test viability. Which, in my opinion, is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. Even if said ideas are plain wrong to start with, in the eyes of experts like you. Because, once again, we cannot all be geniuses. By the way: this is meant in the friendliest manner possible.

The only way of increasing knowledge is by asking. No matter how "stupid" the question. And yet: on the first occasion I innocently posted one to this community - in not unreasonable hopes for some assistance in an already longtime quest - I did not in my wildest nightmares expect to receive a barrage of extremely crude and hurtful abuse - only because one jeffg didn't happen to like cause and nature of that query.

This then is the second time that you seek to penalize me for bringing in another perfectly legitimate one: "wrong" again, as it seems. In your eyes at least. And the gist from your reply appears to imply that I should be chased off in peck and feathers for the sheer temerity of putting into words the very assumption previously expressed.

Next step, I guess, is that I'm to be banned forever from this community. And to be shunned by everybody in it to boot, on your say-so. So I take it you never ever had to ask anybody anything, before arriving at your current level of expertise. It just came fully formed from the moment you were born, I suppose.

Hence, the only possible conclusion to derive from your words has to be that those not on your altitude - like me, for instance - are prohibited (at least as far as this forum is concerned) from even attempting.

This is totally unacceptable. But moreover: for the life of me, I fail to grasp why my EVERY question so far seems to get your goat so much.

I honestly don't get it.

tnob
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tnob wrote:on the first occasion... jeffg didn't happen to like cause and nature of that query. This then is the second time that you seek to penalize me for bringing in another perfectly legitimate one
You're confused. My only previous interaction with you was in a thread I started. I made a joke about the banjo, which caused someone (with an obvious inferiority complex) to have the most monumentally absurd, over-the-top, paranoid meltdown posted on this forum.

Here it is:
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12990

And the reason I don't (fully) answer your questions has nothing to do with the questions themselves.
I'm to be banned forever
Who the hell said anything about banning anyone? I've never requested anyone be banned, on any forum, and I have no plans to ever do otherwise.
shunned by everybody... on your say-so.
Ridiculous. I even told glowrak or briandc (not brianm) to tell you where to get the info you want. They know.

If others are shunning you, they've independently made that decision to do so. I have nothing to do with those decisions.
those not <at your level of expertise> are prohibited <from asking questions>
I've answered lots of questions, and try to answer in a way that even a layman/newbie can understand. By telling you an nki isn't a text/wave file, and you can't convert to sfz by renaming it, I even partially answered your question. And after your behavior in the above thread, that was more than you deserved from me.
my EVERY question so far seems to get your goat so much.
Ridiculously paranoid. I routinely just skip over threads you start. For example, it looks like you've recently been asking numerous questions about configuring software. You won't find any reaction from me to any of your questions, because I never even bothered to read them.

If a thread is started by you or falktx, it's extremely unlikely I've read it.
I honestly don't get it.
This is the first time we agree. Unfortunately, you're unaware what it is you don't get.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

midish
Established Member

Post by midish »

I've got some free nki files that aren't just text files but contain all the samples. Some of them over 100mb. I wonder if there's a way to extract the samples.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Although tedious, if you have a specific narrow range of use for certain sounds you own,
you can record the output from the free kontakt player sequentially, in audacity or timemachine, with quiet gaps,
and then edit (start with the last waveform, and work back to the first one) and export the individual samples in your chosen formats.
You control the final product, 2nd generation as it may be, but it can still be good.

The process will certainly make one appreciate the many full range soundsets that have been
painstakingly recorded, edited, and shared!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A time vault of sample related discussions, links, wisdom, and no doubt a little nonsense,
and a few flamewars, planted, watered and harvested by human beans :wink:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
spyndling

Post by spyndling »

In fact, I know what's inside of an .nki file, and more importantly. how to turn it back into the original set of wave files.

Jeffg, if you will not answer the person who originally posted, I would also like an answer to this. Consider this "someone else asking," please.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

spyndling wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 pm

In fact, I know what's inside of an .nki file, and more importantly. how to turn it back into the original set of wave files.

Jeffg, if you will not answer the person who originally posted, I would also like an answer to this. Consider this "someone else asking," please.

First a question for you: are you a banjo player?

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

spyndling wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 pm

Just open the NKI in Kontakt and go to File >> Batch resave samples (or something like that).

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.