This tutorial aims to describes how you can use AMS (AlsaModularSynth) as a effect processor for your electric guitar.
- you should have installed and set up right jack by qjackctl
- you should be able to hear 'realtime' and clean guitarsound out of your speakers.
- I think you need a sort of preamp or mixer to get guitarsound. I do use just a simple Boss distortion pedal for it and that works :)
- you should have AMS installed.
- You have downloaded and unpacked some effect for AMS:
1) Start jack
Code: Select all
2) Start AMS
Code: Select all
File > load patch > (I loaded: ams-guitrack_RC1_edited.ams)
> It is possible to change the color of ams ;) <
4) Connect ams in qjackctl
*** BE CAREFULL: Always put your sound down when connecting. I had once a awful and very very load beep through my speakers when I first tried to connect something! Remember ears are important for musicians!***
- Click on "Connect" in qjackctl. You'll see "system" and "system" plus 'ams' and 'ams' . Left is hardware, right is software. You should see capture on the left, and playback on the right. playback_1 == left speaker and playback_2 == right speaker, capture_1 == mic port and capture_2 == nothing/built-in laptop mic.
- For expamle, you'd want to connect capture_1 to playback_1 and 2. Highlight capture_1 and highlight the "system" on the right panel. Drag your cursor from the former to the latter.
Connect things now like this:
5) You should here a 'effected guitar sound' now :)
To make things a bit easier and faster for repeating sessions.
You can save the connections setup via 'Patchbay' in qjackctl, so you can load it easier the next time you want to use AMS.
Patchbay > new > 'Create patchbay definition as a snapshot of all actual client connections? >> ok* > save.
The next time you can load this setup in patchbay easily.
* It is recommended to choose no and make a patchbay manually like it is explained in the patchbay howto http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76
(! You can also use (the latest) patchage which has also lash support: http://wiki.drobilla.net/Patchage )
feedback!?: did you find this tutorial useful or have comments on the content. I like to hear it! Further questions or problem solving could be better take place in the other forum parts....
Further readings and reference:
- AMS: http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net/
- http://www.lapoc.de/spinoff-amsguitrack.php : AMS-Guitrack: ein virtueller Gitarrenverstärker für Linux
- Ams related blog: http://www.alsamodular.blogspot.com/
- http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76 (about qjackctl: patchbay and conections)
- More guitar processors: www.linux-sound.org >> Effects Processors
- Presentation about recording a cd in a linux studio on the lac2008 by Hartmut Noack, with special attention to ams: http://lac2008.khm.de/2008-02-29/2008-0 ... oncept.ogv
- LADSPA (Linux Audio Developers Simple Plugin): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LADSPA
- CAPS (The CAPS Audio Plugin Suite): http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html[/i][/b]