Multiband compressor suitable for mastering

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Quirq
Established Member

Re: Multiband compressor suitable for mastering

Post by Quirq »

Ricardus wrote:
male wrote:I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but have you considered the fact that if you need a multiband compressor at the mastering stage that that is an indication of problems with the mix that could be better solved in the mixing context/stage? Unless you're stuck with stereo mixdowns, I don't see much point in trying to dissect the audio so late in the process.
Why does using a multi-band comp to master imply that something is wrong with the mix? Most mastering engineers use multi-bands in mastering.
Yeah, I've seen this view espoused before and what I've read/heard from other professional mastering engineers is in agreement with you, that it's widely used and not a sign that remixing is needed. As I see it, it obviates the need to limit quite as hard (and thus reduce distortion levels) in order to raise the overall level, not something you could do in a mix.
Ricardus wrote: I master with the 4-band comp from LinuxDSP all of the time. I am curious to hear why the OP thinks a 4 band comp is a problem,
The main point of the advice I'm following is that four bands overcomplicates things and that it's best not to cut the "heart" – the mids – of instruments in two and process them differently. Also, that if four bands are really needed, it could be a sign that there are issues which ought to be corrected in the mix.

The other bit of advice is that 100 ms attack time is a good starting point and much less than that will unduly affect the low end, which I was hearing, hence looking for a MBC that affords such an attack time.
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

Hmm, it's just occurred to me that I've made a mistake with my set-up – I shouldn't be splitting the signal through two instances of the compressor as there's no stereo link and this could have an undesirable effect on the stereo image, doh :oops: :roll:

It will definitely simplify things just slapping it over the audio without having to buss things around. Oh well, lessons learnt the hard way are usually the best :lol:
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

This is not free or opensource, but Mixbus (Harrison) sells a lv2 mulitband compressor. It is bundled with Mixbus so I don't know if you can buy a version independently of Mixbus. Also I've found it can be tricky to get Mixbus's plugins to work on a non-Mixbus host, though I have used them with Ardour. So this solution is probaby only sensible if you use Mixbus or Ardour. (I think it is the goal of Mixbus to have these plugins work in every lv2 host but its tricky given library dependencies and differences in lv2 implementation).
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

varpa wrote:This is not free or opensource, but Mixbus (Harrison) sells a lv2 mulitband compressor. It is bundled with Mixbus so I don't know if you can buy a version independently of Mixbus. Also I've found it can be tricky to get Mixbus's plugins to work on a non-Mixbus host, though I have used them with Ardour. So this solution is probaby only sensible if you use Mixbus or Ardour. (I think it is the goal of Mixbus to have these plugins work in every lv2 host but its tricky given library dependencies and differences in lv2 implementation).
Just having a quick look at their site, it's a bit confusing. The text suggests they are LV2 plugins, but there's a footnote saying that "LV2 plugin packages for other hosts ( Ardour2, Ardour3, Audacity, etc ) will be linked here soon" which sort of suggests that they're perhaps not compatible with Ardour. I dunno, it's confusing anyway. Also, the mastering compressor is four band and there's no real info about it (such as the available range of the attack setting or the crossovers or anything really).
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

Quirq wrote: Just having a quick look at their site, it's a bit confusing. The text suggests they are LV2 plugins, but there's a footnote saying that "LV2 plugin packages for other hosts ( Ardour2, Ardour3, Audacity, etc ) will be linked here soon" which sort of suggests that they're perhaps not compatible with Ardour. I dunno, it's confusing anyway. Also, the mastering compressor is four band and there's no real info about it (such as the available range of the attack setting or the crossovers or anything really).
They are LV2 plugins that are compatible with Ardour, but they have not been releaased yet. You have to purchase both Mixbus and the plugin license keys to access them within Mixbus. I am very much looking forward to their LV2 release.
Think like a gun.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

You can use the Mixbus plugins without a licence in demo mode in which the GUI is disabled after 10 sec (hence if you are quick you can make modifications to parameters when you open the GUI). I have used them with Ardour, but I think Qtractor has problems because it does not support all the lv2 extensions the plugins use. Also, Mixbus has slick videos describing the plugins on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtL1SAmjANxmLD_mILAx3Zg