Mixx question (may have missed this in the manual...)

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Guernica
Established Member

Mixx question (may have missed this in the manual...)

Post by Guernica »

Dumb newbie question regarding Mixx: is there any way to get it to recognize the BPM of a piece that is in 3/4? What about compound time sigs such as 6/8? It's reading compound time as slow 2/4s which is not really what I need. I did *skim* the manual but freely admit I may have missed this! Thanks for any help.
hitittome873
Established Member

Re: Mixx question (may have missed this in the manual...)

Post by hitittome873 »

normally when it detects the beat, it only detects the actual beats (usually a bass kick or hi hat when theres a [regular] spike in volume) not the time signature. so im assuming you want to use this for looping? if that is the case, it will still work. most music you use for dj'ing will have a bass of some kind at the beginning of each measure. so it will properly detect the "beat" for any time sig such as 3/4. it doesn't matter how many beats are in between bars since the beat detection only happens each measure.

as for 6/8 its the same thing as 3/4 you just need to double the tempo of the 3/4 signature to get the correct beat grid since there are twice as many notes per measure...all of this is not as flawless as you may have seen on traktor since i recently have started experimenting with mixxx coming from traktor and traktor has better beat detection, but its in the works im sure...i think they should make it detect songs that have slow downs and speed ups or drastic tempo changes instead of having to change the beat grid mid song which is impossible.
Electro, Dubstep, and EDM producer, fan, and beginner dj... CET bachelors in progress@DeVry
listen/follow me on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/michael-harrison-7
FL Studio 10. Traktor Scratch Pro 2. Ubuntu 12.04. Asus N56VJ-DH71. Mac/Apple hater ;)