KXStudio Status.

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

retnev
Established Member

KXStudio Status.

Post by retnev »

I see from the download page that KXStudio has been frozen for a year regarding development. Is this a sign of termination of the Distro or will it continue ?
I dont want to take all the time learning all that is in KStudio coming from a Windows Production environment only to have the Distro disappear. I am desperately looking for something that can replace my annoying windows production platform due to OS idiosyncratic behavior of windows.

Thanks
lilith
Established Member

Re: KXStudio Status.

Post by lilith »

It's not frozen for a year. It's frozen until next year. And it's also not dead.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

AFAIK, there isn't an ideal Linux audio distribution that can be recommend without reservation to anybody just yet.

The main contenders seem to be KXStudio (whether installed from scratch or added to an existing Ubuntu installation) and AV Linux. Both make it easier to get going compared to general purpose Linux desktop distributions, but both are built on a somewhat outdated foundation.

I. myself, I'm fairly happy with using Arch (actually Manjaro) as both my main desktop Linux and for audio production. The main advantage is that you get a vast selection of Linux audio software either as binary packages from the community repository or you can easily build them from the Arch User Repository. But I'm not sure whether Arch is something I'd recommend to somebody new to Linux.

Chris
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

I am certainly not new to linux. I wrote some of the most complex software on the planet using linux.

That said, I am completely new to Linux sound and Video Production which I so far done with windows and some Mac.
So that is where my focus is.

I am glad KXStudio is not going away. It really looks great so far.
Once I understand what each of the programs do it will be great to do something on a stable OS for a change.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

retnev wrote:I dont want to take all the time learning all that is in KStudio coming from a Windows Production environment only to have the Distro disappear
I can't think of any software that is only available on KX Studio, so you're learning applications that you could use on another distro. If you're used to Windows, you may see KX Studio as a monolithic block. Actually Linux is a lot more modular than that.

When you boot up you see ... KDE, the desktop environment, which is available for other distros. Then you might have a look at Cadence, the JACK GUI. That is an important part of KX, but you can use Cadence with other distros. Have you looked at Catia? If you open Cadence and click the 'tools' tab you can open Catia, which is the JACK patchbay. You can see what's going on there. There's also Claudia, which is similiar, but Claudia doesn't play nicely with Ardour.

The thing about KX is : it's based on Ubuntu 14.04.5, which will stop being supported in 2019. You've installed it, so you can learn Linux software. All (or most) of the components of KX will continue to be available, so you're not wasting your time.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

Maybe a misconception here.
I am not new to Linux. I have been using it and contributed some since 1997.
It is just that I always used Windows for Sound Processing and therefore I am not familiar with Linux Daws and how the external hardware routes compatibility etc. I think there was a misunderstanding somehow.

Regardless
I just saw that Harrison made their mixer available as a daw. It cant get better than that. The best sound mixer arguably and it now runs on Linux. The price is about nothing !

It uses Jack so it seems this is the solution for me.
If I use Mixbus + Jack it will solve all my problems on Linux as the rest of my windows software can be run in emulation and I can drop the wretched windo$e crashing and self destructing garbage in the middle of a live session.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

retnev wrote:I see from the download page that KXStudio has been frozen for a year regarding development. Is this a sign of termination of the Distro or will it continue ?
I dont want to take all the time learning all that is in KStudio coming from a Windows Production environment only to have the Distro disappear. I am desperately looking for something that can replace my annoying windows production platform due to OS idiosyncratic behavior of windows.

Thanks
I would say currently the most viable option for you would be AVlinux:
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

It's based on debian/stable, customized for audio/video production, so you could spar the step to learn how-to configure your system for performance.
It make use of the KXstudio repository's, so you'll have access to all the goodies from there, it have a own repository as well, and use as base the debian/stable repository's. So even if AVlinux or KxStudio disappear :shock: , you wont end up without support.
On the road again.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

Thanks tramp,

1) Good to know, How do one get your repository ? I would guess it would be an apt repo ?
2) The part about AVLinux I cant figure out is whether it has a low latency kernel.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

retnev wrote: 1) Good to know, How do one get your repository ? I would guess it would be an apt repo ?
2) The part about AVLinux I cant figure out is whether it has a low latency kernel.
1) It isn't mine, I'm not involved in AVlinux or KxStudio. Information about how to access the repository you'll find here:
http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3719.0
2) Yes, they have realtime and low latency kernels available in there repository.
On the road again.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

AVLinux worked great! thanks for the suggestion. I bought MixBus and it works fantastic now with my Presonus.
I can now move on to the remaining issues. Thanks a lot.
x7i7l
Established Member

Post by x7i7l »

I just went back to Ubuntu Studio 18.10
The Ubuntu Studio Controls app manages Jack better than anything I have seen. Its also very fast, responsive.
I can recommend it.