Peertube is the new FLOSS (and decentralized) alternative to YTube

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Peertube is the new FLOSS (and decentralized) alternative to YTube

Post by CrocoDuck »

sysrqer wrote:
42low wrote: but not to do with it whatever and/or spread it wherever one wants.
I think that was lost when tapes came in to common use.
I think that's actually a good point, and perhaps the main reason why Open Source software comes with licenses which operate some kind of restriction on the use, even though you can copy it so easily.

In short: use for dissemination the kind of platform you think it is best at enforcing the license terms under which you want your work to be distributed under.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

CrocoDuck wrote:I think that's actually a good point, and perhaps the main reason why Open Source software comes with licenses which operate some kind of restriction on the use, even though you can copy it so easily.
What? https://opensource.org/docs/osd pretty much forbids the restrictions on use and Free Software definition makes it Freedom 0.

Now on the subject of PeerTube itself. I see that it sends XmlHttpRequests to other instances that host the video. This makes it incompatible with privacy focused setups like mine where I block all 3rd party requests by default.

Also it doesn't work with JavaScript disabled.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Lyberta wrote:What? https://opensource.org/docs/osd pretty much forbids the restrictions on use and Free Software definition makes it Freedom 0.
Yes, correct. I think I should have phrased it like "there are still conditions you have to abide to, detailed in the License". It isn't just there in full anarchy.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Luc wrote:At least YouTube never gave me this kind of crap:

With which browser is that?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

raboof wrote:With which browser is that?
Palemoon.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Luc wrote:
raboof wrote:With which browser is that?
Palemoon.
I had a quick look and there's good and bad news: the good news is they're not doing anything evil like user-agent checking. This error is shown when there is a JavaScript error before AngularJS could be initialized - which makes some sense. They even looked into this issue for a bit already.

The bad news is that more digging is needed to find out where exactly the problem is (or even whether it is a problem on the PeerTube or Palemoon side), and even if someone fixes it, you will not be able to use PeerTube in all its P2P glory because Palemoon chooses not to support WebRTC (in which case PeerTube should still work but fall back to non-P2P playback).
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

raboof wrote:Palemoon chooses not to support WebRTC (in which case PeerTube should still work but fall back to non-P2P playback).
Nice, even more reasons to disable WebRTC.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Thank you for the attention, Raboof. Very kind.

But you took us to that part of the conversation where someone tries to justify or explain the problem, which never sounds too helpful.

I understand that Peertube is a video hosting site, is that correct? Well, Youtube works for me. Vimeo works. Many tiny video hosting sites whose names I don't even care to look also work. Even a couple (I only tried a couple) of major league news corporation websites, with tons of Javascript, run as advertised. I can't seem to remember any site or page focused on video playback that wouldn't work.

When Peertube refuses to work and points to my browser as the culprit, I am very prone to find that unacceptable.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Luc wrote:But you took us to that part of the conversation where someone tries to justify or explain the problem, which never sounds too helpful.
Well, it seems to me that he pointed to very helpful information. Seems like in the future PeerTube will support Gopher, which should make it work for browsers not supporting WebRTC. I mean, nothing you can do right away, a part to wait for PeerTube to support more protocols, though.
Luc wrote:I understand that Peertube is a video hosting site, is that correct?
To my understanding, no. It is a P2P video streaming technology, which various video streaming sites can implement in a decentralized way. Not a video hosting site.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

falkTX wrote:
Lyberta wrote:
raboof wrote:Palemoon chooses not to support WebRTC (in which case PeerTube should still work but fall back to non-P2P playback).
Nice, even more reasons to disable WebRTC.
Sorry, but I fail to see the reason here.
You're disabling a feature because someone else does? What am I missing...
WebRTC is a gaping security hole that exposes your IP address. And BitTorrent in browser is just an abomination. Web is already dangerous place with every site trying to fingerprint you and get your information. Therefore, it is imperative to disable most of Web features such as cross-site requests, cookies and JavaScript. BitTorrent in browser demands JavaScript and requests to arbitrary sites so it is impossible to use securely.

So if disabling WebRTC disables BitTorrent then it is twice as useful.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

falkTX wrote:WebRTC has its real-life uses.
I rather have WebRTC over proprietary crap needed for voice calls. (ie, skype, the new tool that replaces google hangouts and slack...)
Why do you need calls in the browser? There's Mumble, Jitsi, Linphone, etc.
falkTX wrote:Same thing for DRM. You can have an open browser, but keep the option there for those that still cannot live without it.
Except the tickbox is usually checked by default. Most users don't even understand that they got trapped.
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

xaccrocheur wrote:#Peertube beta has been launched last week, the source code and docs are here, there are already many open public instances, a lot of which are dedicated to music, like the one hosting mine:

https://exode.me/videos/watch/fed67262- ... a9085c71d7 (all my videos are here)

This is part of a large-scale "De-google-ify Internet" operation that has been going on for years, but is now somehow in full motion.

Mastodon has replaced Twitter
Diaspora has replaced Facebook (who ? :p)
Peertube will now replace Youtube. That's it, gone :)
Excellent infos! Thanks!
This dovetails nicely with the Linux Ethos.
Peace.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

protozone wrote: Excellent infos! Thanks!
This dovetails nicely with the Linux Ethos.
Peace.
Thanks to you ; BTW today's the last day of the "pre 1.0" crowdfunding call, check it out :)
yPhil | Music & Code | Mastodon
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Social networking, back in your hands: https://mastodon.sdf.org/about >> https://joinmastodon.org/
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

khz wrote:Social networking, back in your hands: https://mastodon.sdf.org/about >> https://joinmastodon.org/
I think mastodon is an interesting idea. I created an account to give it a try, but am finding it hard to find interesting accounts to follow. This something twitter has gotten really good at, and of course I have a finely tuned list of people I follow there, so my mastodon account has a lot of catching up to do.

Any recommendations, apart from https://bridge.joinmastodon.org/ ?