Dragonfly Hall Reverb

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: interesting

Post by Michael Willis »

protozone wrote:@Michael and others
Thanks, let me know if you find it useful. I still haven't dared release a v1.0 yet, I keep thinking of things that I want to do... if you have any suggestions, there's a greater than zero probability that you could talk us into changing something. :mrgreen:
protozone wrote:By the way, how does an end user person use a GIT?
It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to download the latest release, you can find it here:
https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... b/releases

If you want to hack around on the code, you'll have to learn how to use a git client, from the command line or one of the graphical ones.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Dragonfly Hall Reverb

Post by Michael Willis »

Hey everybody, for a while I've been working on an overhaul to Dragonfly's interface. I found it annoying that I couldn't navigate around the presets and watch the spectrogram at the same time. Also I've added the three "hidden" parameters to the interface, so there are no secrets anymore.

Here is a sneak peak

It's not quite ready yet, I still have a few bugs to fix. If anybody is interested in trying it out, I'll probably have a test release available in a few days.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Michael Willis wrote:Hey everybody, for a while I've been working on an overhaul to Dragonfly's interface. I found it annoying that I couldn't navigate around the presets and watch the spectrogram at the same time. Also I've added the three "hidden" parameters to the interface, so there are no secrets anymore.

Here is a sneak peak

It's not quite ready yet, I still have a few bugs to fix. If anybody is interested in trying it out, I'll probably have a test release available in a few days.
That's great! I will try it out in my current project!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

finotti wrote:That's great! I will try it out in my current project!
Ok, I think I'm done tweaking things and that I have the release working:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.2

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Sorry, I'm unlucky on my side, launch aborts (tested in ardour, mixbus 32C 5, carla and jalv, here the output with jalv):

Code: Select all

lilv_lib_open(): error: Failed to open library /usr/lib64/lv2/DragonflyReverb.lv2/DragonflyReverb_dsp.so (/lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/lib64/lv2/DragonflyReverb.lv2/DragonflyReverb_dsp.so))
(and well that's correct on my installation since:

#  ls -l /lib64/libm.so.6 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Sep 26 10:02 /lib64/libm.so.6 -> libm-2.24.so
)

I tried to build it (with a local DPF) but the build breaks somehow:

DragonflyReverbUI.cpp:201:74: error: virt-specifiers in ‘stateChanged’ not allowed outside a class definition
 void DragonflyReverbUI::stateChanged(const char* key, const char* value) override
Cheers anyway, keep up the good work :-)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Loki Harfagr wrote:Sorry, I'm unlucky on my side ... Cheers anyway, keep up the good work :-)
Aww, this must be because I recently upgraded to a distro based on Ubuntu 18.04... I was using an older distro before, I'll see what I can do about compiling against an older glibc version.

As for the compile error, you can probably remove the "override" keyword from DragonflyReverbUI::stateChanged in DragonflyReverbUI.cpp, if that works I can update the project.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Loki Harfagr wrote:...
Please try again, delete the one you downloaded earlier and go fetch the new file that I uploaded, again available at https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.2

I decided to not bump the version number, since I was just compiling nearly the same code against an older version of glibc. I also tried to fix the build failure that you experienced.

If it still doesn't work, please tell which linux distro you are running.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

intermediate results but still I post them since I'm now having to go elsewhere do some elsewhat, it happens ;-) but still there is some progress!

I tested the cleansed install of the new binary version you built and there(s a major advance in the way it now loads and is actually working though only through the "simple" UI and not the GUI, but still it works even in an old fashioned look (but I guess that defies the recent advance in expanding the types/exts choices in the upgraded GUI :-)

Then, I've started to try and rebuild from the sources but at this point arrived to some crossroads and I think I'll have to rebuild or dedeply my local DPF, I must have done something inefficient somewhere in it or in its paths' but as prev said I'm not able to complete the build test today, but I'll be back! ;-)

(I still had the "override" nag and thus removed that precision in the source cpp but that's then where my silly-trunk-libs trouble did start to bite, same old same old... to be continued :-)

for info, the distro here is a Slackware 14.2 multilib, but it indeed is augmented with a few locally built extensions relative to audio and such then that's prolly not the best dev' platform but indeed is quite a good target for "when it'll work there the 1p100 remaining to cure will be a breeze ;-)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Loki Harfagr wrote:the "simple" UI and not the GUI
I think that is my fault, I probably don't have all of the dev libraries necessary to build the GUI piece, and I didn't thoroughly test the Linux build.
Loki Harfagr wrote:my local DPF
How are you including DPF? The project has a git submodule to fetch a specific version of DPF, use it like this from the dragonfly-reverb project dir:

cd dpf
git submodule update
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Loki Harfagr wrote:...
Please try this one more time, I think I maybe got it right this time. :oops: I again replaced the files at https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.2

Also I included a standalone JACK app this time.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Good news :-)

Your last build works fine on my machine. Tested neat in jalv, carla (last version), ardour and mixbus32Cv5.1.
The presets changes work nicely, the previously existing personal presets are seen and loadable and I must add that the new GUI presentation is a winner!

All is well, kudos!

And the standalone works fine too.

As for the self build it now built alright too, my previous problem when building was that it wanted '../../dpf/libdgl.a' while in my freshly naievely cloned and made DPF it lied in '../../dpf/build/libdgl.a', doh :D)
And the generated build has been tested to work fine, I made the build starting from a git clone of your plugin, with the downloadable tag.gz there were git stuff missing somewhat somehow (sorry but can't remember what :D)

Cheers then and thanks for your superb plugin :-)
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Hi Michael !

I updated the git sources here, everything compiled perfectly, so I tested it briefly in Bitwig 2.3.4. It's all good. :)

Thanks again for your fine work on this excellent plugin.

Best,

dp
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

Great Plugin. I just tested it today: I love the UI + it sounds great (having freeverb as engine it is a warranty...).

Thanks for sharing it.

Alberto
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Loki Harfagr wrote:Cheers then and thanks for your superb plugin :-)
davephillips wrote:Thanks again for your fine work on this excellent plugin.
AlbertoZ wrote:Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks everybody, it's great to hear that people are using this.

I just released a minor update. Some people were reporting that the dials were kind of laggy, which was related to how the spectrogram is rendered. I modified it such that it has a budget of milliseconds to render a chunk of the spectrogram for every UI frame rendered. I also updated it such that shift-click on a dial resets it to the default of the selected preset. I also packaged up the downloads so that there is only one per OS, the Linux one containing all three of LV2, VST, and the JACK app. Could somebody spot check the new release and let me know if you have any trouble with it?

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.3

Cheers!
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Hello Michael,

all went fine on my installations, tested nicely with Jalv 1.6.1, Carla 2.0-RC1, Ardour 5.12, Mixbus 5.1 on old faithful Slackware 14.2 (multilib).
I tested only the LV2 parts, once using your binary build and once using a local self build (from your git since the source tgz seem to lack the git refs to make the build//submodules)

But I guess that if no other tester comes here about the standalone and VST forms I may test them as well later ;-)

Only reflexions I would try ATM is that it'd be nice to include the version number in the '(?)' "Help/About" button discovered pane, and next step obviously would be to adapt the "types/pots" settings view to get near any selected preset when selected :-)

But it is still as is, one of the best reverb plugins I've ever seen or used :-)