Ardour - support only for official builds?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tytel
Established Member

Re: Ardour - support only for official builds?

Post by tytel »

ssj71 wrote:I honestly can't believe this!
+1
Everyone talking about the state of the bug tracker are just validating the initial uncalled for hostility toward one of the most active linux music apps.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

tytel wrote:+1
Everyone talking about the state of the bug tracker are just validating the initial uncalled for hostility toward one of the most active linux music apps.
And you believe that's a useful contribution to this discussion?

Come on, stand up and take a look behind the Plate edge
On the road again.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

gimmeapill wrote:Being harsh does work to some extent. See, we're talking about the elephant in the room already :wink:
I'm not so sure. It is hard to see exactly how productive this talk is, and it really does lead to stress and burn-out among maintainers.

(that said, I just created an account in the bugtracker and closed some clearly-spam reports...)
gimmeapill wrote:And sorry, but I still don't consider tickets rotting for ten years a valid approach to support.
Everybody agrees it would be better if those tickets would have been dealt with, but that is just not realistic to demand. I'm not sure I consider "just close anything we haven't gotten to it in a while" much better - but it's a valid approach as well.
tytel
Established Member

Post by tytel »

tramp wrote:And you believe that's a useful contribution to this discussion?
Yes, I'm pointing out a problem with this thread that a personal attack on developers sparked a discussion.
If someone spits my friend's face, I don't say "well maybe they have a point, my friend doesn't take the trash out all the time".

Here's a contribution: just gave $50 to the Ardour team
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

tytel wrote:Yes, I'm pointing out a problem with this thread that a personal attack on developers sparked a discussion.
If someone spits my friend's face, I don't say "well maybe they have a point, my friend doesn't take the trash out all the time".
Ah, okay, I get your point, sorry then, I just haven't see any personal attack here so far, must be my foul.
I just see a discussion which may lead to a better understanding between developers and users, but this seems to be a day bream so far. . . .
On the road again.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

Several of the developers here are hoping this will turn into some good discussion with good suggestions about bug tracker management. I think it would be good to get out of this context, and start a new thread:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19125&p=98451#p98451

If you just want to argue about ardours support model and bug-tracking carry on here. I'm interested in some more good suggestions, please join me in the linked thread.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

raboof wrote:
(that said, I just created an account in the bugtracker and closed some clearly-spam reports...)
Interesting, it looks like anyone with a Mantis account can close anyone's tickets.
So...I've started closing a few issues - starting in 2004, and will progress chronologically from there.
I am not touching feature requests, just bug reports - the lowest hanging fruit.

The closure status I found the most adequate is "not fixable"
(Other choices are: "open, fixed, reopened, unable to reproduce, duplicate, no change required, suspended, won't fix")

And the closure note:
"Closing this ticket as it was reported against an old version of Ardour and is very likely irrelevant nowadays.
If the issue still occurs with a newer Ardour version, please open a new ticket."

Down to 2664 at the time of writing.

If anyone feels offended, please let me know.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

gimmeapill wrote:So...I've started closing a few issues - starting in 2004, and will progress chronologically from there.
So you're closing bug reports without verifying they are no longer accurate? That might be fine, but...
gimmeapill wrote:If anyone feels offended, please let me know.
If I were the maintainer of the project I would appreciate it if someone would reach out first to coordinate before going on a closing spree.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

raboof wrote:If I were the maintainer of the project I would appreciate it if someone would reach out first to coordinate before going on a closing spree.
I stopped in 2005 after a solid 5-6 closures, and I'm still reading them, don't worry.
I'll drop a note to Paul tomorrow on the official forum - worst case he will fix the security mis-configuration in Mantis.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

I will leave my own experience with Ardour support here, for what it is worth (i.e., nothing): every time I asked a question or reported a problem in the Ardour forums I clearly stated that I was not using the official version and received helpful and almost immediate replies. I was never turned down (even if it was pointed out to me that they trust the official version better). I have nothing but praise for their support and their software. (I now contribute a small amount every month to the project.)
dawhead
Established Member

Post by dawhead »

It isn't intentional, but is a side-effect of the (old) version of Mantis we use. We allow (and intend for) "reporters" to close their own issues. But in the version of Mantis we have, there's nothing to limit that to their own issues.

When we upgrade Mantis, this should "improve".
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

dawhead wrote:It isn't intentional, but is a side-effect of the (old) version of Mantis we use. We allow (and intend for) "reporters" to close their own issues. But in the version of Mantis we have, there's nothing to limit that to their own issues.

Ah, ok, sorry for vandalizing those poor old bugs then.
But in case you guys need some assistance in getting rid of those zombies, please give us a nod: There's at least two of us interested in getting this bug tracker better looking.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

gimmeapill wrote:If anyone feels offended, please let me know.
No good deed goes unpunished.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

gimmeapill wrote:
dawhead wrote:It isn't intentional, but is a side-effect of the (old) version of Mantis we use. We allow (and intend for) "reporters" to close their own issues. But in the version of Mantis we have, there's nothing to limit that to their own issues.

Ah, ok, sorry for vandalizing those poor old bugs then.
But in case you guys need some assistance in getting rid of those zombies, please give us a nod: There's at least two of us interested in getting this bug tracker better looking.
Actually I'll stop there & go quiet then.
There is no point in beating a dead horse if you have already planned to upgrade that crumbling bug tracker.
Johan

Post by Johan »

That is such a nonsense. You can also simply install Ardour from the linux rrrArdour from the linux distribution is just from ardour itself and is simply supported. Under Help there are also only links directly to the Ardor site, bug tracker and support.
So official build and supported.

The distro version about.

Sorry for my bad English. This is done with google translate because my English is very bad.