Muse not running

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Muse not running

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hi, all those synths work fine here.
Most likely what is happening is that some plugin is crashing MusE during startup and plugin 'discovery'.
Yes it has been an ongoing problem, since it is difficult - virtually impossible - to tell which plugin is at fault.
Showing 'abort' after discovering some plugin (as shown in the -D text) seems to be a 'red herring' -
it likely has nothing to do with THAT plugin, more likely some other one that was discovered before it.

Robert has previously filed an issue requesting that we add a 'sandbox' when discovering plugins so that
bad ones can be 'blacklisted'. Hopefully that will make all these problems go away.

For now your best friends are those command line switches to disable loading various plugins.
If you can narrow it down to a particular architecture (LV2, LADSPA etc.) that's a good start.
Certainly our own MESS Deicsonze and Organ should never have problems like that - they've been tested extensively.

As for getting some sound out of the synths that ARE loading properly, it seems that you are very close to getting sound,
seems like just a usage thing, maybe at this point some tutorials or the help file would be the best way forward.

Try this:
Click 'File > New' and choose the template 'synti.med'. This example template loads one MESS Organ and one MESS Vam synth.
Double click the only 'part' in the song on Track 1 to open the part in the Pianoroll editor.
Now click some notes on the editor's piano keyboard. Do you get any sound? Do you at least see track Vam-1 or Out 1's audio meters moving?

Yes? Now try the Organ:
You'll notice it is 'off' in the Arranger (the 'power off' icon in the track list M(ute) column).
Click that icon to turn the track 'on'. (The 'power off' icon should disappear.)
Now click Track 1's 'Port' column and choose the item '199:Organ-1'. This will tell Track 1 to drive the Organ-1 synth.
Now click some notes on that part piano keyboard again.
Do you get any sound? Do you at least see track Organ-1 or Out 1's audio meters moving?
No, correct? Yeah, I know.
Gotcha :oops:
MESS Organ has a BUG. There's no sound when first loaded. You must adjust several of the controls in Organ's GUI first.
Right-click Organ-1's 'Port' column and click 'Show native gui'. Make sure to adjust Drawbars and Envelopes to some appreciable values.
Sorry about that one. You got "Organ-ed" before :wink:

Now that you see how to set up a synth and so on, you should be able to load any synth track and drive it with a midi track.
As for Yoshimi and Calf, those two should work right out of the box without adjusting anything.
Not sure why they didn't work for you... I await the inevitable followup ?
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

thx ill have a fiddle, i tried this youtube tutorial but that drumsyth dosent show up in the list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4re2iWdKNzM

ill go thru those ones you suggested ...again

I must be missing something basic. I expected to find a way to point muse at the 'embedded' system midi sounds. Like Musecore uses. At this time Im not interested in super great sound samples so that would be sufficient. some midi out, the ability to set the 'control' ranges of breath,pitch etc and a click(drumtrack). Battling with both ends of the workflow. Problems here and midi triggering problems the other end with the lights in QLC. :cry:
What would I know I'm just the bass player
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hi vector, can you tell me what Linux distro you're running?
32-bit or 64-bit?
Anything unusual to report such as do you build some of the source codes instead of packages?
Plenty of memory to spare? That could be an issue - simply running out of memory.

Also, do you have things like Carla or Catia installed or running?

Thanks.
Tim.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hey hey ! Looky here:
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... -429487317

Another user has verified trouble with the CSound csladspa plugins.

Please check if you have that particular package installed.
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

HI tim thanks so much for getting back to me.
spent most of the day fighting MACos but thats another story :(

ok Did the organ test as you prescribed, worked as expected. VUs go up and down, Turning things on and off was never a problem I cna see and know to look for mutes buttons etc..however knowing the native gui load softsynths ,,,ahh more about that later.

Source code? no pretty standard setup here. Dont think I have added anything weird(apart from Muse lol)

I followed that link..not sure i understand what they be saying, Apart form thinking Just use LV2
Virtually anything those ancient LADSPA plugins can do, LV2 can do now.
That doesnt explain why the MESS ones break tho?

and to prove im a nufty.
Drumgizmo was not making sounds because I hadnt (was unaware I had to) load a kit and midimap etc) downed the 2g file, extracted it loaded the basic drum kit and map and I now have a click trak :).(with a 2gig drumkit..a little over kill ;)

Could you please confirm my understanding.

Musescore midi triggers a 'softsynth' of sorts?
If I play a midi file from thunar ie using Paraloe player it makes sounds ,
so inside ubuntu(bundled with it) is a midi softsynth these things are triggering to make sounds, yes?
can we not get at them from Muse?

Surely out of the box an example file that twangs a few notes using the typical bundled ubuntu softsynth (dont have to load clever synths) is a nice easy way for a newbie to start playing with Muse?

So Mess/ vam soft works
Mess/deics one aborts
MESs/ fluid synth makes no sound(looks like the gui needs to load softsynths..ill tack them down like I did gizmo.
MESS/Organ works (after your setup instructions) sounds weird tho.
MESS/Simpledrums aborts muse ;(

ahh with my new 'check the native gui' skills I see calf synth wants sound fonts too..ill try and track all them down..
I dont suppose there is a 'here are all the softsynths called by mus3' package anywhere is there?
That drop down add synth list would be nice to have a folder of (typical get you going synths we bundled in with muse) sort of thing. Part of all those apt get statements in the readme. So at least to a fresh water fish falpping about on dry land trying to learn to walk its a little easier?

Running Linux bionic 18.04 64bit (unbuntu studio)

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux fatcat 4.15.0-36-lowlatency #39-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 25 00:16:08 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Code: Select all

free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:       16368428     5436948      171836      293192    10759644    10302292
Swap:      16718844           0    16718844
Perhaps if you think of a simple setup drumkit that should work send me the .med file and I can test them.
Ill do the same this end.
again cheers
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

I got a bit done today(as lights programmed to midi driven lighting cues.
i have a click track,
in sync with an audio track,
I have midi from muse to QLCplus

what was really strange was I couldnt get midi from external keyboard to muse. I can direct midi from muse to the keyboard but cant for the life of me get any input from the keyboard into muse..But I have no trouble using same keyboard same setup to send midi to QLC or musecore.
Followed that tutorial a dozen times. no vu activity on the inputs so its just not seeing it.
Would have been nice to rec hits/notes as it was playing. In then end i gave up and used the piano roll manually.
another day down and closer to the gig
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

OK Enough! That does it. I'm making a safe plugin scanner so that this never hap...

DONE!
Please see:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19082

Please test (say, with 'bad' csladspa.so) and report back:
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

Sorry, so is it just a matter of me going thru these steps again?
2. Clone muse source with command:
'git clone https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse.git'
3. Type 'cd muse/muse3'
4. Type './compile_muse.sh' and wait until it is finished
5. Type 'cd build'
6. Type `sudo make install` - this will install muse3 to /usr/local
7. Run it by typing `muse3`
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Yes that looks correct.
Remember that it means you need to have installed the so-called 'development' packages of the listed requirements.
In the README file it describes various optional packages you can install for more features.
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

awesome one last thing, it will just go over the top of what I have yes?. or should I uninstall current first, if so how?

reason I ask, I just went thru the readme sequence on my laptop, would you believe it worked out of the box. Same ubuntu studio on both machines. Go figure.
So either i made a mess up somewhere on this pc or it was just bad luck or hardware differences..or the plugin is working :lol
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

vector wrote:awesome one last thing, it will just go over the top of what I have yes?. or should I uninstall current first, if so how?
Good question. In this case it wouldn't hurt uninstalling first to make sure no interfering 'cruft' is left behind,
especially with all these changes recently.
Navigate to that 'build' folder (where you entered 'make install'), and type 'make uninstall' (as root if necessary).

But if you already wiped out that 'build' folder don't worry too much, should still work OK.
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

ok Tim,
Done
and it no longer needs the -p switch to run without breaking :)

Running from terminal so i can see messages i started adding synths
MESS DeicsOnze -ok
MESS Fluid synth, still not sure where to get sounds for this. ( i have Qsynth running so some soundfonts are there) not sure how to point to them tho
MESS organ ok(once I worked how to setup the organ)
(NOTE MESS Vam soft synth has always worked)

ok up to ...
MESS Simple Drums
pluginScan: process not exited normally
simpler_plugin: *FAILED* pluginScan(/usr/lib/ladspa/csladspa.so) failed

QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QGroupBox "", which already has a layout
So looks like your code is capturing the problem and dealing with it.. shame the synth doesent work tho ;(
Seeing as this is in the documentation(Software synthesizers coming with MusE) It really should work or be removed from the documentation?
Speaking of documentation.. the important bits where one whould hope to learn about how to install soft synths and get them working
Use MusE's Internal Software Synthesizers
Use Software Synthesizers In General

contain no info ;(

I guess Im looking for something like DeicsOnze but which has a few more instruments. a populated GM list
If I import a song (ie import mid) created in Musescore with say a dozen midi tracks they come in as midi tracks with no destination. I then go and start pointing them to sound fonts. Id expect to find something like DeicsOnze(just basic instrument sound fonts) with drop down menus I can select which ch goes to what instrument.

That would at least get me going and learning.. I can then tweak and install sound fonts specifically to make a channel sound better as I learn.

Can you suggest such a synth?

DSSI
Fluidsynth--again wants me to load sound fonts(where from?)
So I hunted down the location of musescore sound font(MuseScore_General.sf3) /usr/share/sounds/sf3
tried to load it. unable to error came up.
I tried another one I found in sf2 FluidR3_GM.sf2 . it loaded :)
Pointed my 8 note midi test track at it and I hear sounds but cant seem to see how to change the instrument.
Ill do some more playing but I have to get back to work now

NOTE xsynthGTK (gui) has problems displaying)