How do you choose your music distributor - e.g. CD Baby, DistroKid, TuneCore?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jeax
Established Member

Re: How do you choose your music distributor - e.g. CD Baby, DistroKid, TuneCore?

Post by Jeax »

How do you yall deal with split-payments? CD Baby doesn't have it and Distrokid charges anyone with an account.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: How do you choose your music distributor - e.g. CD Baby, DistroKid, TuneCore?

Post by sadko4u »

I've used Tunecore for publishing music.
They additionally provide ISRC code to all recordings you upload, that was a good feature for me.
About money - my recordings aren't so popular that they returned all my investments.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

I found that Sounddrop does free auto-splitting. It took a lot of emails and a few articles to get a handle on music distribution services and fees.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I read today that spotify is going to allow artists to upload their music directly.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

That's odd. You'd still need a ISRC at least to make $, though, right ?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

This may be relevant:

Spotify opens the floodgates: artists can now upload tracks direct to the streaming platform for FREE
https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/ ... -for-free/

Game changer?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Luc wrote:This may be relevant:

Spotify opens the floodgates: artists can now upload tracks direct to the streaming platform for FREE
https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/ ... -for-free/

Game changer?
Might be, althou right now you can get your music to spotify, itunes, deezer, etc for free, but most of the people don't know it.

My music (one test track) is in all those places, and also youtube will collect money for my music. All that is missing for profit is listeners :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Might be, althou right now you can get your music to spotify, itunes, deezer, etc for free, but most of the people don't know it.
How?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Jeax wrote:
How?
Publisihing your music with routenote.com (if you want to support me for this tip, register with my referal code 2f750c92) or I suppose there are few others also. You won't get all royalties for yourself, but if it starts to look like you are getting sales/listen so much that 15% of royalties is too much, then switch to paid plan.

Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

I do remember you giving that option. I don't plan on going with them just because of how little platforms they distribute to compared to others. Regardless, its good to know of the many available options.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Jeax wrote:I do remember you giving that option. I don't plan on going with them just because of how little platforms they distribute to compared to others. Regardless, its good to know of the many available options.
What do you mean by ' how little platforms they distribute'? What is missing?

Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

From what I remember, Routenote gets the majors. However, I'd read that those that distribute to many more are beneficial for EDM - e.g. Horus.

Anyone got more info on this:
http://jelsonic.com/royalty-free/the-di ... ons-music/
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Update on my research: Soundrop is best (and free) option for free auto-split payments.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Jeax wrote:Update on my research: Soundrop is best (and free) option for free auto-split payments.
I'm going to check them out. I'm always looking at these services to see who looks best.

And just a note on RouteNote for anyone considering them - they're crap with how they handle Content ID claims. All someone has to do is tell them the UPC for the song in question and say that they have permission to use it, then RouteNote will release the claim even if that person was lying because they don't bother to check these things with you. Once a claim has been released, it can't be reinstated. This is so easily abusable and as you might imagine - that's exactly what happens.

I've used a few of these services now. It's totally common for all these Content ID claims to be kept hidden from you and dealt with behind the scenes. However, there is one service I've used that doesn't release claims as easily and also gives you a dashboard where you can see links to every YouTube video which has a matched Content ID claim for your music - I know of no other services that give you this. However, this service is not exactly perfect and they have a pretty damn buggy website which is very frustrating and is why I stopped using them. Once they sort that out and add more features and stores etc, they could end up being pretty good: https://www.orfium.com/
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

I'm going to ask other distributors about the Content ID. https://www.orfium.com/ is new to me. How do you compare it to CD Baby and Distro Kid (the most popular as of now)?