Just discovered an old song which I created with MusE

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

plixplox

Just discovered an old song which I created with MusE

Post by plixplox »

Hi,

I just by accident discovered a song on my hard disk which I created several years ago with MusE. I created this song about 10 years ago with a Creative Soundblaster 5.1 and several sound fonts.

This song is a funky song with uneven beats, with a bass (several tracks), drums and piano.

Maybe you like it. Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-379160355/p ... ns-radloff

Regards,

Jens
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Just discovered an old song which I created with MusE

Post by Tim E. Real »

Now that's funky! But definitely a jazz feel as well. Bordering on chaotic at times, but that is the nature of the beast.

SoundBluster, eh? He he.

Lost in the sands of time are the massive fixes I committed to the emu10k1 project kernel drivers and
support applications which allowed full use of the DSP chip. You could upload your own DSP algorithms
with a graphical effect 'canvas' and programming tools and more. The project had tons of bugs at the time
and I was absolutely determined to fix all of them! Man what fun that was. My first kernel fixes. Tough stuff.

I still use those soundfonts today for some drums and other instruments.
If you were lucky you got the 8MB version which seemed to have disappeared from later cards.

Trivia: There was an awesome Windows project called "Kx" which did the same DSP stuff. It had its own SB Live! driver and everything.
So whenever I would see FalkTx's Linux "Kx Studio" I always had to do a double-take and remember it's not the same thing as the SB "Kx".

Tim.
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

I like it a lot, some of it feels like Zappa. Well done.
plixplox

Post by plixplox »

@Tim and @bhilmers, thanks a lot for your evaluations of my 10 year old song. By the way, I did not use any MIDI keyboard to generate the tones in it.

I still have the same computer which I used at that time when I created that song. It still only has 2 GB of RAM. That Creative Soundblaster 5.1. card is still built into this machine, and it does not have any other sound card.

I should by a new computer with modern hardware for generating digital music wih MusE, but I rather would like to play music again with real musicians, in a real band, but it is impossible for me to find adequate musicians here in this region within Bavaria. A lot of musicians here want to play in cover bands to earn money by playing live in beer tents or so. Formerly I lived in Berlin, and musicians there are much more creative than here.

@Tim: Thanks for all your efforts in the past to make the emu10k1 sound card properly up and running under Linux.

Regards,

Jens