[ANN] Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge starts September 15th, 2018

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

SpotlightKid
Established Member

[ANN] Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge starts September 15th, 2018

Post by SpotlightKid »

Open Source Audio Meeting Cologne proudly presents:

The OPEN SOURCE MUSIC FM SYNTHESIZER CHALLENGE

https://fmchallenge.osamc.de/

What:

Install one or several of the Open Source FM Synthesizers we selected, make an awesome track using only these synthesizers as sound sources, upload it to archive.org under a Creative Commons license and submit it into the competition.

When:

The competition starts on September 15th, 2018 and runs for one month until the end of October 14th, 2018.

Who:

Everybody (i.e. every natural person) can enter the competition. All selected synthesizers are Free Software and getting started with music production using Open Source software is easy and free to everyone!

Winning:

The winner of the competition is selected by public vote.

Voting starts on October 15th, 2018 and is open for ten days. The entry receiving the most points wins and will be presented at the second Sonoj Convention in Cologne on the weekend of October 27th/28th. Second and third places will be awarded as well.

The winners will only receive fame and glory, but the community as a whole also wins!

Before you enter the competition, be sure to check out the detailed rules!

Please share this announcement to all interested parties. If you wish to sponsor prizes for the competition winners, please contact the organizer!

Forum thread for those taking part in the challenge for general discussion, sharing tips & tricks, patches, clips etc.

Let's make some awesome music using Open Source FM Synthesizers!

Christopher Arndt, Organizer
Open Source Audio Meeting Cologne
https://fmchallenge.osamc.de/
Last edited by SpotlightKid on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nils
Established Member

Re: [ANN] Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge starts September 15th, 2018

Post by nils »

Who is going to participate?
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Re: [ANN] Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge starts September 15th, 2018

Post by SpotlightKid »

Already got two people from the KVR audio forum, who said they were interested in joining.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Hope I got time.
Already did one with OxeFm.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I might give it a try if I have time but I'm not that great at FM synthesis.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

You can use literally ten thousands of DX7 preset with Dexed and Hexter! :)
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

SpotlightKid wrote:You can use literally ten thousands of DX7 preset with Dexed and Hexter! :)
But where's the fun in that! :D
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Well the challenge then would be to create something that doesn't sound like synthwave, 80s elevator music or 90s computer RPGs ;)
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-74-dexed

Listen to the 1st track. My favorite osc track of all time and the reason I started doing One Synth Challenge.

Hardly elevator music :wink:
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Damn, can't sample the drums.
I was hoping this compo wouldn't have this restriction.
Workflow is so much faster when you sample your synthesized drums.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

rghvdberg wrote:Damn, can't sample the drums.
I was hoping this compo wouldn't have this restriction.
Workflow is so much faster when you sample your synthesized drums.
Really? I didn't see anything about that when I looked...I was thinking along the same lines.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

You MAY NOT use any samples or recordings (not even for e.g. drums or vocals), but you MAY freeze or bounce tracks to an audio file to save CPU processing power.
Or is this about samples not made from the synth?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

rghvdberg wrote:
You MAY NOT use any samples or recordings (not even for e.g. drums or vocals), but you MAY freeze or bounce tracks to an audio file to save CPU processing power.
Or is this about samples not made from the synth?
I would interpret it as that. If it says you can use other plugins and that you can freeze/bounce then why not manipulate those files with said plugins?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Yup, I'm gonna use the sampler.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Umm, that's not how I would read the rules (and I wrote them ;)). Freezing and Bouncing to me only applies to whole tracks or sections, not individual sounds.

The rules can still be changed and I am am open to suggestions, but I don't really see this restriction on no samples as a big inconvenience. Just create a track group with as many synth instances as you need for the drums and you can have individual effect on each sounds or effects on the sum of the group. With Oxe FM you can even use one instance for 16 sounds on different MIDI channels (use MIDI key split and/or channel mapper plugins for routing) When you're not working on the drums, just bounce the whole group to an audio track.

If we allow drums being played by a sampler (or the daw), why not also other sounds from the synths? I.e. you could make an SFZ from a pad. But where does it stop? Taken to far we might just as well have the "Open Source Music Rompler Challenge" :shock:

Let me now what you think.

Chris