Focusrite Scarlett Second Generation

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

moth754

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Second Generation

Post by moth754 »

geoffrey wrote:I have had some success decoding the proprietary Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen USB protocol and updating the ALSA mixer kernel driver to control the 18i20's internal mixer. Progress so far:
- Most USB messages involving setting parameters (input, mixer, and output routing, and mixer and output gains) decoded
- Control of master gain added to ALSA mixer driver:
Screenshot from 2018-08-07 22-18-03.png
So, there is hope that we might be able to control the Scarlett 2nd Gen internal mixer controls from Linux soon!
This is really cool! Thanks for all your hardwork and please keep us posted. looking at buying an 18i8 soon
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

5wJ58 wrote:That's great news geoffrey!
Will it fix my issues with no sound after coldboot?

I'm having this problem and can't solve it for days:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/no-sound-fr ... down/32824

For now I have to boot into Windows (dualboot) and reboot into linux mint otherwise the output is shown but i can't hear anything.

Thank you for your hard work!
Sorry, it won't fix anything with your 2i4. I only have an 18i20, so that's that only model that will be affected by my changes.

I am curious, if you're using the 2i4 under Linux and its working then you unplug/replug it in, does it stop working?
[edited - I read about the 2i4]
5wJ58
Established Member

Post by 5wJ58 »

geoffrey wrote:
5wJ58 wrote: I am curious, if you're using the 2i4 under Linux and its working then you unplug/replug it in, does it stop working?
[edited - I read about the 2i4]
Shutdown linux. Power on again. Doesn't work anymore until I boot windows and unplug/replug again.
I guess the driver initializes the interface or something. Any input on that is useful. I'm out of ideas at this point.
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

5wJ58 wrote:
geoffrey wrote: I am curious, if you're using the 2i4 under Linux and its working then you unplug/replug it in, does it stop working?
Shutdown linux. Power on again. Doesn't work anymore until I boot windows and unplug/replug again.
I guess the driver initializes the interface or something. Any input on that is useful. I'm out of ideas at this point.
No, I mean if you don't shutdown Linux. Just when it is working in Linux unplug/replug the interface, does it keep working or stop working?
5wJ58
Established Member

Post by 5wJ58 »

geoffrey wrote:
5wJ58 wrote:Shutdown linux. Power on again. Doesn't work anymore until I boot windows and unplug/replug again.
No, I mean if you don't shutdown Linux. Just when it is working in Linux unplug/replug the interface, does it keep working or stop working?
It stops working. Already tried usb 2/3. Disabled/blacklisted everything else in bios and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Still no luck.

Edit:
Everything works now. It was a firmware issue.
Used this software: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9b2A6 ... pMbHc/view
Found it in the comment section of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dghj7jKqKxQ

Sadly I couldn't find any official source.

I'm still a little confused. The installed firmware was 11xxx.
The linked .exe is installing the firmware 10xxx. So I guess it's a downgrade.

Long story short. It works with unplug/replug/restart/coldboot/os reinstall.
Thank you for everything and have a nice day!
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

5wJ58 wrote:
geoffrey wrote: I am curious, if you're using the 2i4 under Linux and its working then you unplug/replug it in, does it stop working?
The driver I'm working on is a replacement for Focusrite Control which is not relevant to the 2i4. According to the Focusrite web site, the 2i4 is class-compliant so it "should" "just work" with Linux. To see what's going on, I think that someone would need to examine (e.g. using usbmon) what Windows does when initialising the 2i4 and compare with what Linux does when initialising it. Short of doing that, my best idea for you is to put Windows in a VM and boot that to initialise your interface. This is how I'm seeing what FC does with my interface.
5wJ58
Established Member

Post by 5wJ58 »

geoffrey wrote:( ... )

Sadly I couldn't find any official source.

I'm still a little confused. The installed firmware was 11xx.
The linked .exe is installing the firmware 10xx. So I guess it's a downgrade.
Long story short. It works with unplug/replug/restart/coldboot/os reinstall.

Thank you for your time and good luck with the project.
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

5wJ58 wrote:
geoffrey wrote:( ... )
That's great news! Glad you found a solution!
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

I've started a new topic for my 18i20 2nd Gen mixer driver. Progress update and request for testers here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18862
trrichard
Established Member

Post by trrichard »

I haven't gotten my 18i8 2ed gen to work well yet, I was hoping someone could weigh in.

I'm seeing huge numbers of xruns at sampling rates over 48khz. I see lots of references to this from others, but I haven't found a solution yet.

I'm targeting 96khz with 128 frames per period and 3 periods per buffer.

Whats really strange to me about this is my previous scarlett 18i8 (prior to it's death) was able to reach this. I tried to buy and test a Clarett, but had the exact same problem. Am I missing something here?
gramos
Established Member

Post by gramos »

geoffrey wrote:I have had some success decoding the proprietary Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen USB protocol and updating the ALSA mixer kernel driver to control the 18i20's internal mixer. Progress so far:
- Most USB messages involving setting parameters (input, mixer, and output routing, and mixer and output gains) decoded
So, there is hope that we might be able to control the Scarlett 2nd Gen internal mixer controls from Linux soon!
Hi, I 've got a 18i8 Can this work my 18i8? if yes could please provide me the code? is there any repo? Thanks a lot in advance!
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

gramos wrote:
Hi, I 've got a 18i8 Can this work my 18i8? if yes could please provide me the code? is there any repo? Thanks a lot in advance!
Please see the other thread I created: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18862 — I posted the code a few minutes ago. I can't make it work on an 18i8 myself because I don't have one, and it certainly won't work as-is. However, it shouldn't be too much effort for someone with the appropriate skills and access to one of these interfaces to make it work now.
gramos
Established Member

Post by gramos »

Okis Thanks a lot!!! Ill take a look, may I could it with some assistance.
vitjo

Post by vitjo »

Hello,
i want to buy a Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen to use it in ubuntu and audacity to record vinyls.
But what scared me a bit is that on the third page someone wrote:
"What was unexpected is, that turning the gain knob didn't seem to have any effect on the recording levels".
Do other people conform this?
If yes, i think it would be useless for me.
nice greetings, demna
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

vitjo wrote:Hello,
i want to buy a Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen to use it in ubuntu and audacity to record vinyls.
But what scared me a bit is that on the third page someone wrote:
"What was unexpected is, that turning the gain knob didn't seem to have any effect on the recording levels".
Do other people conform this?
If yes, i think it would be useless for me.
nice greetings, demna
The gain knobs work as expected in my 2nd generation 2i2. (As does everything else.)