Molam

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Re: Molam

Post by lilith »

Sounds better overall.
Not sure if the -3db mastering limit removes the noise, please let me know
Still there. Not only at 0:21, also later, e.g. 2:19 and very pronounced at 3:24. I assume it's a signal somewhere around 315 Hz which distorts.
I switched L/R and it's not my headphones :mrgreen:
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

vitaminx wrote:Not sure if the -3db mastering limit removes the noise, please let me know :)
I do not see how a limiter would suppress noise. The noise exists in a certain frequency range. If the output is at -40dB the noise will still be there. Can you isolate/track back the source of the noise ? Isn't part of the sample/recording that's been used ?

Noise can be used for creative purposes. Eg. vinyl LP noise. Maybe creatively shaping it somewhat in the EQ band where it's active.

The funny thing with this noise is that, at least here with vlc 2.2.2, when the listening has started a bit before, say at 2:22, then the 3:24 mark goes by w/o much noise. If at say 3:30 the playing cursor is clicked back at 3:18 the noise is then fully heard.

This same effect is also heard in version 1.2.

Cheers.
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

jonetsu wrote:I do not see how a limiter would suppress noise.
I was thinking about this effect that might affect the song: https://www.musictech.net/2012/09/10mm- ... ple-peaks/
But if the distortion is still there on the 2nd version (which has -3db headroom), then it's not it.
jonetsu wrote:The funny thing with this noise is that, at least here with vlc 2.2.2, when the listening has started a bit before, say at 2:22, then the 3:24 mark goes by w/o much noise. If at say 3:30 the playing cursor is clicked back at 3:18 the noise is then fully heard.
This is so weird, I have no idea what's going on.
Are you listening on headphones or speakers?
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

I think now for the very first time I heard the noise, I had to drive the volume of my headphones all the way up to hear it.

Can you please check the new version? http://www.callistix.net/music/molam_1.3.wav
I exchanged the reverb plugin of the guitar which might have caused the noise.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

vitaminx wrote:I think now for the very first time I heard the noise, I had to drive the volume of my headphones all the way up to hear it.

Can you please check the new version? http://www.callistix.net/music/molam_1.3.wav
I exchanged the reverb plugin of the guitar which might have caused the noise.
I'll listen later. What phones are you using???
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

lilith wrote:What phones are you using???
I use AKG K702.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

It's gone at 0:20 but it still crackles from 3:00 on.
The funny thing with this noise is that, at least here with vlc 2.2.2, when the listening has started a bit before, say at 2:22, then the 3:24 mark goes by w/o much noise. If at say 3:30 the playing cursor is clicked back at 3:18 the noise is then fully heard.
That's strange. Maybe some resampling issue?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I think this piece sounds good, as in "well done." But I also find it boring. I wish there were more ideas and variation.
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

lilith wrote:It's gone at 0:20 but it still crackles from 3:00 on.
The reason for the crackle is the Renoise builtin Maximizer that I use as hard limiter on the master track to keep the volume exactly below -3db.
It crackles when it kicks in too hard, no matter how attack and release are set.

Surprisingly I found no replacement for it, all Renoise builtin + LADSPA compressors cause crackle, and the u-he Presswerk compressor and limiter does not hard limit, it leaves some peaks through.

I kind of worked around it by compressing the track with the Molam music a little bit to not kick the Maximizer too hard, at least the crackle is almost gone now, maybe it's still audible here and there, but not too much.

I need to research how to hard limit on the master bus for my next songs...

I uploaded the latest version of the song to Soundcloud, and I think I'll leave it like this. :)

Thanks a loooooot to all of you for helping with the mastering process. :)
Luc wrote:I think this piece sounds good, as in "well done." But I also find it boring. I wish there were more ideas and variation.
Hehe, yea it's rather monotonous, mostly on purpose though. :P
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

lilith wrote:Ah... you wrote it in the first post. I bought renoise last year, made one song and then moved to Reaper/Ardour.

I like Renoise, but as there was no single post by the dev (s) in the forum since years .... come on ...

@distortion: I'll listen again tomorrow.
The Renoise Manual sites have been updated: https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Main_Screen

That's a very good sign, that something is going on :D