Bela Boards: Interesting Low Latency Processors

Bring your custom casings, arduinos, raspberry pi's, axoloti's and other creative hardware projects

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Bela Boards: Interesting Low Latency Processors

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi guys!

I was watching the IFC 2018 where this was mentioned at some point:

http://bela.io/

Looks like a nice little thingie to geekly implement realtime audio effect. I don't remember seeing this on the forums, so here I am linking it.
protozone
Established Member

Re: Bela Boards: Interesting Low Latency Processors

Post by protozone »

Geez, that's almost too small for the likes of me.

I like the idea of creating and selling custom hyphy audio jukeboxes.
Miniaturization is kind of a b****
I'd rather have a slightly larger size, 24-bit audio, fewer channels, and some more standard physical interface options.
But of course, those could be added, but soldering onto tiny chips isn't as easy as soldering and/or splicing into classic components.
Sure it can be done, but I wish some of these markets would cater more to the conventional secular world, and less to the world of wifi bluetooth IoT surveillance [implied espionagetools] or overrated home theater stuff.

That being said, it still looks promising and useful. I'm not nixing it entirely.
An entire multimedia player can already be the size of a USB thumb drive.
And USB thumb drives can already be literally the size of a thumbnail.

At this point PCB chips are small enough to mix into blue tortilla chips and swallow.
That would suck. But back to normal life again, I like the idea of having options to build customized gear for some nice peacetime purposes.
Thanks for the link; it's educational and relevant to musicians and linux users alike.
Low-latency is certainly a desirable plus.

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed that it has jumper cable ports, so connections wouldn't be so difficult, but notice how huge the jumper cable cradle is compared to the actual chip. So if somebody chopped off the cradle, it could be even smaller. Kinda strange. But I guess it makes sense that they used jumper cable cradle connections instead of dedicated audio and/or other types of physical connection areas or IC's.

I might try and take a look at one of those in person someday.
It's too bad that wasn't available to me when I was in college requesting an independent study course on exactly this type of thing.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

They also have bigger boards: https://shop.bela.io/bela
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

protozone wrote:I'd rather have a slightly larger size, 24-bit audio, fewer channels, and some more standard physical interface options.
so, you probably should look at Axoloti Core board ) it's completely different, but does 24bit / 48 kHz audio and nas more connectors (and pins for yet more connections).

Bela has a lot more raw processing power, but as for me, two main reasons to prefer Axoloti are: 1) 24-bit audio and 2) MIDI DIN connectors
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

chaocrator wrote:
protozone wrote:I'd rather have a slightly larger size, 24-bit audio, fewer channels, and some more standard physical interface options.
so, you probably should look at Axoloti Core board ) it's completely different, but does 24bit / 48 kHz audio and nas more connectors (and pins for yet more connections).

Bela has a lot more raw processing power, but as for me, two main reasons to prefer Axoloti are: 1) 24-bit audio and 2) MIDI DIN connectors
wow thanks! you rock!
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

protozone wrote:you rock!
i'm thinking what domain i should buy for my project web page — .live or .rocks ?
counted this as a vote for .rocks )))