Patroneo pattern sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

Patroneo pattern sequencer

Post by milkii »

Patroneo, by nilshi, is "a very simple pattern based midi sequencer that handles the three most important musical parameters: pitch, rhythm and dynamics. It is primarily designed for educational purposes, to give quick and convenient access to music creation to my pupils without relying on assembling pre-made loops or dumbed down workflows you can find in popular software for the remix culture. The main goal is to teach the importance of patterns and repetitions in any kind of music. However, Patroneo is a full sequencer you can use to create real music. The constraints it presents will more likely boost your creativity than suppressing it." Requires the use of NSM or RaySession.

YouTube: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/patroneo-git

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

protozone
Established Member

Re: Patroneo pattern sequencer

Post by protozone »

Interesting synopsis.
I will try to learn more about your Patroneo.

I am not against conventional loop style music tools, they have clear disadvantages (both amateur and semipro culture talk seriously about "loopitis") but also some clear advantages by virtue of when they are most modular.

I find that while I used to try and totally reject pattern-based composing approaches, at best they speed up the workflow at the expense of potential monotony unless agressively fought against. These days I try to fight the monotony by overdubbing totally non-pattern improv. At best I create patterns whose source is 100% improv. But often I end up rendering to audio as quick as possible so I can get more experimental that way. But of course, that means having to commit to those changes if the DAW software doesn't play fair with freezing techniques (which are legitimately hard to implement).

During the past couple of weeks I've been painfully reminded of how much more versatile my home studio was when I was using 100% hardware. However, the types of sounds I most love are only possible easily and cheaply via software, especially with DSP/editing of WAV/AIFF audio.

But there was once a brief while where I had a primitive Alesisi MMT-8 Sequencer, and it had pattern split/join functions and enough storage to get really creative. It was just for MIDI, but for a short while my music making got a boost because I was thinking musically those days in a compatible way. I also was daisy-chaining with drum machines, of which there is no software equivalent, and at best, for a while I had a great drum machine which was capable of overdubbing continuous controller data.

Nowadays, I'm 100% in software. Just to put, say, 3 band EQ and a noise gate on an effect is not necessarily easy and user-friendly. I know how to do it, but it's not the same as grabbing stuff, pluggin in, and turning knobs till they sound good. I can only approximate what I used to do easily in hardware, even though in other ways the software is exponentially more powerful.

Anyways, I'll check out your invention. It seems thus far definately interesting. I'm mostly just thinking out loud about this stuff.
I try to demo new products and concepts every month just for the sake of staying educated and being ready for the next best thing.

Thanks
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Not my invention, tis by nilshi, seen by me in the LAC 2018 Lightning Talks video. Turns out they were in #archlinux-proaudio and happened so say hey to me just as I was about to PKGBUILD it (their YouTube username gave them away). I only wasn't doing it right at that moment, as, in the video, they complained about NSM, and I had been like "hmm, I should actually try RaySession. is it in the AUR? no, I'll do that first then.".

I like the building block aspect of pattern sequencing, though it certainly seems to need both automation and a human touch to make a less boring result. I'm mulling potential methods for combinatoric emergence of "good shit", as well as constraints (or the general "taking away"), plus how to capture, loop and further alter upon phrases and themes as they emerge. How to technologically facilitate, like, an IDM inner-funk, amongst other things...

I like Patroneo because it's sooo quick to use, great for a song sketch, but it doesn't do CCs, specifying MIDI channel, or Transport tempo sync (and I really wanna express session tempo change, cos yeah, it can get boring otherwise).

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

windowsrefund
Established Member

Post by windowsrefund »

The github repo 404s now :(
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

it's now called Laborejo

https://github.com/diovudau/Laborejo
On the road again.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

tramp wrote:it's now called Laborejo

https://github.com/diovudau/Laborejo
It is not. Sorry for the confusion. I am currently in the process of moving repositories to a new place. It will be public soon again, together with a release.

Laborejo is a different piece of software alltogether, much older in bigger in fact. But since it is such a monumental task to create Laborejo I distracted myself with Patroneo.

Take a look here for explanations: https://www.laborejo.org