Ardour

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thorgal
Established Member

Ardour

Post by thorgal »

wanna record stuff ? Ardour!!!

that's a killer app. Being on the ardour forum, I know there are tons of people who have problems with it (jackd is a bit sensitive and ardour won't run without it). But when you have a hardware that is very well supported by linux and that is comfortable with low latency setting, etc (RME gears for example), together with a well tuned real time kernel, Ardour is THE recording app if you want play with a multitrack environment. As always, there's a learning curve but really, ardour is becoming very mature and will soon be released with MIDI editing support. Cannot wait :)

All my sessions are made with ardour. Together with JAMIN for mastering, this is truly a delight to work on your compositions!
briwood
Established Member

Post by briwood »

Will take a look at Ardour.

Hadn't heard of Jamin. Can you briefly describe your process. I don't know about mastering. Why do you need to do this?
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I also love Ardour, and I'd love to hear how you use Jamin as well.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

jamin is used for mastering, which is the "art" of boosting the overall level of your music. The cool thing is that it has a very detailed EQ (1024 bands) that you can edit on the fly with a pencil tool, it has an efficient compressor, divided in three independent compression modules corresponding to three frequency domains (whose boundaries you can adjust on the fly as well), it has a "scene" based work flow, so you can have zillions (well, 20 at most) different settings that you can edit, and call on the fly (activate, deactivate) by a simple mouse click, it has a fast lookahead limiter for eliminating in a very efficient way above level samples, it has a "sound warmer" or booster that simulates the warmth of a tube amp (very cool stuff), it is JACK aware of course, it can be used as an insert in your ardour master bus that you can activate / deactivate easily, it washes the dishes ... ah no, sorry ...

I cannot go on like this, have a look at the jamin website!
http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html

the news section is outdated though. But there are some cool piece of info about mastering from the various links.

I personaly use it almost everyday for dfferent reasons. For ex. my turntable is not plugged to a h/w amp, it is directly plugged to my RME Multiface II. SO I use jack-rack with a software amp, directed to jamin for producing a nice level in all frequencies so my ripped LPs can compete with commercial CDs (well, to be frank I did this kind of work for friends who are not very critical when it comes to sound quality but they really enjot the result).

I shall one day write some tutorials (or even film myself) with all the things I learned during these intense months playing in my "cosy" studio :) But that's a project on its own which takes a lot of time (like chit-chatting in various forums ;) )

@briwood
I forgot to mention, the art of mastering is not easy, I am still learning about it but if you already have a good and robust mix, mastering becomes much easier. In some of my work, mastering makes a big difference : from a low volume but good enough balanced mix, you can turn your master track into a very large and big sounding piece of music. It makes a big difference, believe me!
briwood
Established Member

Post by briwood »

Thanks for the detailed reply!
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Thanks for that reply! I will for sure be checking jamin out.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I like new tutorials especially video based ones! :)