Peertube is the new FLOSS (and decentralized) alternative to YTube

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

xaccrocheur
Established Member

Peertube is the new FLOSS (and decentralized) alternative to YTube

Post by xaccrocheur »

#Peertube beta has been launched last week, the source code and docs are here, there are already many open public instances, a lot of which are dedicated to music, like the one hosting mine:

https://exode.me/videos/watch/fed67262- ... a9085c71d7 (all my videos are here)

This is part of a large-scale "De-google-ify Internet" operation that has been going on for years, but is now somehow in full motion.

Mastodon has replaced Twitter
Diaspora has replaced Facebook (who ? :p)
Peertube will now replace Youtube. That's it, gone :)
Last edited by xaccrocheur on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yPhil | Music & Code | Mastodon
matlo
Established Member

Re: Peertube is the new FLOSS (and decentralized) alternative to YTube

Post by matlo »

matlo
Established Member

Post by matlo »

Signal and Telegram are not federated.
The uploadfilter is only a problem of centraliced big servers.

Matrix can include telegram and signal.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

...But Matrix is (AFAIK) not OSS :)

Note that I did not talk about any replacement for this application (instant MSG+VOIP+rooms+screen sharing/remote desktop) because you guys are right, there are still no FLOSS federated alternative yet :(
matlo
Established Member

Post by matlo »

Wrong Matrix and Riot are Open Source.

Im execute a personal instance.

PS: Jabber / XMPP is federated but administration is a pain.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

xaccrocheur wrote:#Peertube beta has been launched last week, the source code and docs are here, there are already many open public instances, a lot of which are dedicated to music, like the one hosting mine:

https://exode.me/videos/watch/fed67262- ... a9085c71d7 (all my videos are here)
One usability-problem hit me immeadiately: Seeing one video, can't easily see what other videos there is by same author.

xaccrocheur wrote: This is part of a large-scale "De-google-ify Internet" operation that has been going on for years, but is now somehow in full motion.

Nice agenda, I like it, but I am bit sceptic. If my friends don't use diaspora, then there is no point for me using it also. Unfortunately.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

tavasti wrote: One usability-problem hit me immeadiately: Seeing one video, can't easily see what other videos there is by same author.
You are right, it's a big usability no-no (they're working on it) I can't even imagine why (and how) they lauched without it, especially when the feature actually exists!! like to see all "yphil" videos, juste click https://exode.me/videos/search?sort=cre ... arch=yphil :) Like to see all my Linux Audio (Qtractor-centered) tutorial videos, click here and apparently, it works on all instances: https://peertube.video/videos/search?so ... arch=yphil :D
tavasti wrote:
xaccrocheur wrote: This is part of a large-scale "De-google-ify Internet" operation that has been going on for years, but is now somehow in full motion.

Nice agenda, I like it, but I am bit sceptic. If my friends don't use diaspora, then there is no point for me using it also. Unfortunately.
It's a chicken & egg situation :)
Last edited by xaccrocheur on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

falkTX wrote:
matlo wrote:The uploadfilter is only a problem of centraliced big servers.
Are you sure about this?
What makes you think this is the case, that smaller installations / setups won't have to deal with it?

Seems to me, a website or service just needs to get reported, then it will get investigated and taken down if they dont comply..
pardon me if im too pedant when asking the question: - who exactly are "they" is this context?
a. on a centralized system, "they" are the enforced subjects to a(ny) really existing ruler that be the state, a monarch, king or queen, whatever;
b. on a decentralized system,"they" are anonymous and it's by no mistake to say that equates to "the people".

now, looking at the human civilization history (eg. money), the powers in a. will always try to search to "behead" the "they", someone, individual or collective, who is "to blame" for all the power that is lost in breaking out the monopoly (of state, nation, kingdom, w/e).

have you ever asked yourself(ves) why bitcoin's inventor opted to stay anonymous? hint: i say it wasn't an option but a very rational and life-saving decision.

2cents. away. ;)
matlo
Established Member

Post by matlo »

falkTX wrote: Are you sure about this?
What makes you think this is the case, that smaller installations / setups won't have to deal with it?

Seems to me, a website or service just needs to get reported, then it will get investigated and taken down if they dont comply..
I don't know.
There are some rules in Germany that only apply from a certain size.
But unfortunately, the lobbyists in Brussels and Strasbourg never know what will come of it.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

xaccrocheur wrote:Note that I did not talk about any replacement for this application (instant MSG+VOIP+rooms+screen sharing/remote desktop) because you guys are right, there are still no FLOSS federated alternative yet :(
Jitsi can do all of that and has been available for many years and is FOSS. It's a XMPP client so it's based on an open standard for the server side too.
https://desktop.jitsi.org/
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

tux99 wrote:
xaccrocheur wrote:Note that I did not talk about any replacement for this application (instant MSG+VOIP+rooms+screen sharing/remote desktop) because you guys are right, there are still no FLOSS federated alternative yet :(
Jitsi can do all of that and has been available for many years and is FOSS. It's a XMPP client so it's based on an open standard for the server side too.
That's right, only I (and others) had maaany unsuccessful stories with it. I'm not kidding, I've been trying to setup an XMMP-based solution ever since the Jabber days ; Still, you're right, Jitsi/XMMP can do it.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

falkTX wrote: Rgarding the whole idea of replacing google, it is a very nice effort, but perhaps coming a bit too late.
The new regulations coming to the EU will mandate that services hosted here filter all user content for racism and other things.
Not complying with those will result in heavy fines, and perhaps have your page taken out of EU completely...
There are no exceptions for opensource and freedom of speech... :(
Ugh...
falkTX wrote:Since smaller projects will not have the resources to develop big automated systems to scan through all user content (not to mention the idea of it is just quite stupid, we should not scan user uploaded data..), it is not going to be pretty.
Is it truly that complicated? I am no expert, but at first sight it seems almost a relative of the spam/ham classification problem (not that I would be happy of such a thing existing...).
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

xaccrocheur wrote:That's right, only I (and others) had maaany unsuccessful stories with it. I'm not kidding, I've been trying to setup an XMMP-based solution ever since the Jabber days ; Still, you're right, Jitsi/XMMP can do it.
I guess you are talking about setting up your own server, because the Jitsi client works perfectly fine with any of the existing public XMMS servers that I have tried. I have been using it for several years now to communicate with friends and never had a problem with Jitsi.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

falkTX wrote:The new regulations coming to the EU will mandate that services hosted here filter all user content for racism and other things.
Not complying with those will result in heavy fines, and perhaps have your page taken out of EU completely...
Is it this you are referring to?

https://savecodeshare.eu/static/assets/ ... eShare.pdf

(Actual proposal) http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 2016PC0593

It sounds far more alarming than just "anti-hate filters on social media". It is actually about legal liability and copyright. Quite a can of worms...
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

tux99 wrote:
xaccrocheur wrote:That's right, only I (and others) had maaany unsuccessful stories with it. I'm not kidding, I've been trying to setup an XMMP-based solution ever since the Jabber days ; Still, you're right, Jitsi/XMMP can do it.
I guess you are talking about setting up your own server, because the Jitsi client works perfectly fine with any of the existing public XMMS servers that I have tried. I have been using it for several years now to communicate with friends and never had a problem with Jitsi.
My mileage is different, but I'm always willing to give Jitsi a try. Again :) Heck, let's ; The problem is that I only have one or two geeky friends left for that :?