Collaborations

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wjl
Established Member

Collaborations

Post by wjl »

Hi all,

I just published my first album "Collaborations" on Wikiloops.com, where you can listen to it and from where you can also download it.

I played everything on my Squier VM Precision Fretless Bass into a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen) interface which is connected to my self-built machine with Debian Stable (plus the KXStudio repositories) on it.

All recording and mixing on my part was done using Ardour 5, mostly with the Calf plugins, and with the GxSVT bass amplifier (and cabinet) simulation.

See/hear/listen/download at https://www.wikiloops.com/album/13184-C ... ations.php. The cover image is also on https://www.flickr.com/photos/wjlonien/40604791934/. Or here:

Enjoy, also the rest of your Sunday.
Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Collaborations

Post by bluebell »

So much good music. Great!

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

The music is good, but I still have to check it out with how wikiloops works, which I will do shortly. The grants of use includes:

(3) By posting content, the user grants to the operator all exclusive rights of temporally unlimited use and throughout the universe in perpetuity of the content for the purposes of the platform, in particular to offer it to other users for retrieving, storing and printing.

As with any legal text, there are more sections to this, more details. But when there's a conflict it's usually up to the lawyers to choose which one actually applies in a given case.

wikiloops seems nice to find out other musicians but then, I also think it could be possible to make 2 000 - 3 000 $€ a year on music in such a competitive industry. I know one example who did so with abstract drone music. So if in this market the small profits are taken mostly, if not all, by a contract, then it becomes quite unfair.

Of course, if one sees all this as a fun thing only and does not want to earn anything at all from the music he creates, the melodies, the rhythms and the textures, then the point of view will be different.

So I will contact one of the wikiloops admins just to see what his thoughts on this are.

Again, the music is good, the fun is there, but the 'contractual' details get in the way sometimes, depending on the use.

Cheers.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

bluebell wrote:So much good music. Great!
Thanks BB! There aren't that many singing in German (one Uloisius, one AKchen, another one whose name doesn't come up my mind right now, but that's pretty much it) - so if you care for some collaborations (jams), come and join us as well. In case you want to make money on this: see below, ask Richard (the site owner), or OliVBee (one of the moderators over there, from Paris, France). For me - and for many others I think - this place is time- and priceless. Like it used to be some 40+ years ago. But that's just me (and some others there, I think one even hung around with the Beatles (some are even older than me)) ;-)
jonetsu wrote:So I will contact one of the wikiloops admins just to see what his thoughts on this are.
Again, the music is good, the fun is there, but the 'contractual' details get in the way sometimes, depending on the use.
Sure Al, go and ask Richard (aka Baer aka Dick aka Idunnowhatelse). I think from his annual transparency report - see https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthr ... ad_id=1691 for the latest one(s) - he's putting more own money into this project than would be good and healthy for a single person - and he's doing so since years. So the general consensus amongst users on that site is that we all owe him a lot.

But there are others like for instance Karliene (see https://www.wikiloops.com/artist/Karliene.php for more info; she's great!) who were seen there for just one song, and then went off to try making money on YT and/or other platforms.

Entirely your choice.

I think there's one user who runs a studio somewhere in the US, and he's offering stuff he made in Wikiloops for sale in bandcamp. Dunno how he deals with his other collaborators about this, but that is his (and maybe their) problem.

For me, it's all about making music, not profit. Like photography as well. I don't *want to* make these to jobs. Been there, done that - and once is enough.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Hi Wolfgang,

Yes I have seen the transparency reports the very first time I took a look and it's a bit strange that someone would put so much money into that.

I will never make money. I do not call 2000$€ a year (or only once) making money at all. That's not a 'career' by any means. But, if that tiny little amount goes to somebody else for all the honesty I put into making music, then something's not right. From the transparency reports it does not seem wikiloops is making much. For me though, if I ever manage to get even 200$€ for the music I make I would feel very happy. Not for the money which is nothing, but for the extra step some people took to actually get what I have made and to show it with more than words. It's some kind of a tangible feedback.

Cheers.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

I understand your point, Al.

And I think it's not forbidden to make money over there, and those 'perpetual' and 'universal' rights have to be understood - if you would for instance store one contribution of mine on your hard disks, and I and Richard agree that I'm out, and that all my content is to be removed, and now mine (which is almost impossible, it's everywhere over the place already), then ok - Richard and I would agree, I would go, everything fine.

Now consider this: You didn't know about all that stuff, and about Richard's and my agreement. Now you go and take your copy of my contribution, and make a new (and probably successful) song with it.

I would hear about this from third party people, and my lawyers would attack Richard's (and probably yours). Not a nice fight. I think with his terms, Richard simply wants to protect the project against everything which *could* happen. Don't know if he has any legal advice, or if there were similar problems (at other sites?) in the past. And frankly, I don't care much - because if I would take time to think about all that, there wouldn't be much time left to make any music. Just my 2 cents about this.

Talking is always good. Maybe you become a (non-paying) member, and ask in the forums over there?

Anyway, it would be great if we could do more work together - either here or over there (and with others as well).

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very impressive and varied tracks. I especially enjoyed "The game of harmonic notes".
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Thanks folderol!

And yes, I was totally astonished myself by the quality level in Wikiloops - after all this is some place to just "jam" with others, but some of these really sound like big commercial productions.

I'm a bit rusted because with about 25 or so I gave up playing, and only started again last year - so the role of the bass on my recording is more to support others who sound much better than myself.

And that game of the harmonic notes by STJray (or so) from Canada is indeed very creative - because it shows the real purpose of Wikiloops, and what others do if they take your theme and play around with it a bit. The version on my CD is a bit medieval stylish, but there are Blues and other totally different versions. Listen to this version from STJray which summarizes some of these efforts until now (but without mine which was from yesterday only):

https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-133929.php

This is also included in my "cool cats" compilation CD (without my own contributions, just my personal favourite "hit singles" I've found so far):

https://www.wikiloops.com/album/13092-T ... ingles.php

(Edit, now from work): that other version of STJray's song contains one of my favourite bass players, a guy with the username jussef63, from Mexico. You can hear his awesome fretless bass very briefly here after 'moonchild' sang, and before he starts singing himself. On that "cool cats" compilation I included another favourite piece of mine, where jussef63 plays together with inkless, a guitar player from Canada. It's called 'Acoustic Dreams'. Have a listen:

https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-130075.php

If that ain't awesome then I don't know what would be. So since discovering the 'loops I don't listen to much else anymore. End of edit from work).

(Edit2, also from work: here's the cover/inlet of my compilation CD album as well:

End of edit2).

Enjoy. Or better, join us there and have some fun together with real talent (and some pros of course).

Cheers, and thanks for taking the time to comment,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi wjl,

Wow!! This is really great so far!! Still early into listening but I'm so impressed I couldn't wait to comment, excellent work and terrific productions, I'll look forward to listening to more.. :D
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

wjl wrote: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-130075.php

If that ain't awesome then I don't know what would be. So since discovering the 'loops I don't listen to much else anymore.
I don't find it awesome, really. It's a matter of taste, but that kind of material can be factory-made easily be 1000s of musicians. The young salesman at the music store has incredible guitar skills, for instance. Musicians who have good knowledge of harmony can create a good-sounding tune per day. Because it's mathematics. And most listeners will agree, it sounds very good.

This said, these are be definition, jams. It should not be surprising that it goes close to nowhere after a minute or so. It is made to explore and expand. "Awesome" would not be the term I'd use though. :) Look at most of the classical musicians. Why aren't they composing the equivalent of new Bach, new Mozart, new Debussy, etc, today ? Why aren't there plentiful of beautiful classical music that does not sound like Varese and Stockhausen ? Could it be that there's more to simply have skills, a good sound and being able to calculate chord progressions and melodies ?

Cheers.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

GMaq wrote:Hi wjl,

Wow!! This is really great so far!! Still early into listening but I'm so impressed I couldn't wait to comment, excellent work and terrific productions, I'll look forward to listening to more.. :D
Thanks Glen! This is really appreciated!

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Hi Al,

no problem - you don't have to like the same stuff which I like, and you also don't have to agree with Wikiloops and their policies. However, I see lots of people who really like it - there are quotes at the bottom of each page, which are rotated randomly, and which just cite what people like me said about the site.

Currently, this reads:

"Without wikiloops I would have stayed forever silent ;o)"

- that was from another German, a singer, not far from me. But people from all over the world are glad this exists, and that they can have some fun there.

And I find the results produced there more than remarkable, in many cases. Most of these girls & guys are far better than I am, so I'm glad I can hang out with them, tho it's only virtually (but I will attend to the meeting end of August).

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog