Dragonfly Hall Reverb

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ssj71
Established Member

Re: Dragonfly Hall Reverb

Post by ssj71 »

Michael Willis wrote: You could argue that such a long rumbling low decay is kind of ludicrous and not very useful; this is one of those matters of how much freedom to give the user vs. making a reverb plugin that satisfies some specific uses very well.
I think it would be fine to allow longer times but not show them in the UI. Especially if gradients are used in the graph you'll get the idea that the decay is "off the charts" :)
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Pretty easy to scale the labels to the actual max decay time.

Long reverbs on 'drops' ... Love it.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Here's a peek at the latest version:
I'm getting really close to making a v1.0 release, there are just a few more bugs to fix.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Michael Willis wrote:Here's a peek at the latest version:
I'm getting really close to making a v1.0 release, there are just a few more bugs to fix.
Nice! Looks great! Thanks for your work on this!
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Michael Willis wrote:Here's a peek at the latest version:
Looking good !

I built the latest git pull, but I had to add -lpthread to some of the last stages, I'll do a clean build again and leave an issue for you on git.

Best,

dp
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

davephillips wrote: I built the latest git pull, but I had to add -lpthread to some of the last stages, I'll do a clean build again and leave an issue for you on git.
Thanks Dave. Sorry for the trouble, like I've mentioned before I do a lot of the development on a mac laptop, so when I switch between building on mac and linux there are often little changes that have to be made to the make files.

If you're familiar enough with git, will you submit a pull request with the -lpthread fix?

Also, to be transparent, here are the three bugs I'm still working on:

1. When the UI is first displayed, the spectrogram is blank. It doesn't show until a preset is picked, even if you load it from a saved DAW session that already had a preset picked.

2. Sometimes the spectrogram will end up in a state that it displays as a completely saturated rectangle. I think to reproduce this, show the plugin interface, pick a preset and quickly switch to the spectrogram view.

3. The spectrogram doesn't always stay in sync with the latest settings of the dials. This is particularly obvious when quickly turning a dial all the way from low to high (or vice versa). The spectrogram won't be correct, but if you then slightly adjust any knob at all, the spectrogram will update again and be mostly correct.

My guess is that all of these are problems with thread concurrency, since it uses a separate thread to render the spectrogram asynchronously (so as not to hang up the UI). I tried to be careful with the implementation, using the Signal class to communicate, but there are a number of places in the code where both threads read the same data. If anybody here with experience programming multithreaded c++ could take a look and help, that would be fantastic, otherwise I'll try to figure it out on my own.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Make that four bugs... rghvdberg already reported that it crashes on exit, because the Spectrogram thread doesn't properly terminate: https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /issues/19
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

davephillips wrote:-lpthread
Fixed.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

falkTX wrote:I see people are abusing the makefiles in weird ways... :lol:
Before you do an official 1.0 release, ping me so I can review the project a little.
I'll go through the code and files to make sure things are generally done in a good way. Thanks.
Thanks falkTX... I readily admit that I'm probably doing abominable things in this project. I haven't really done anything else in C++ for at least 12 years, and I don't think I've ever worked on a project that used Make. On the other hand, it's probably better to dive in, make the mistakes, and learn. Any feedback is certainly welcome.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

When I write c++
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Thank you for putting in the hard work, will love to check it out!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I was traveling for part of this week, so my time to work on this has been hit or miss, but I think I've fixed the bugs that I mentioned last week. It no longer crashes on exit, the graph doesn't get out of sync, and it doesn't start in or get into a state that it refuses to display properly like it did before.

Anybody who wishes to test this out, please pull the latest from the master branch on my repo, build it, and let me know how it goes.

FalkTX, feel free to give the whole project a general code review and/or clean up, I appreciate the help.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I built a prerelease for anybody who wants to download and test it: https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /0.0.9-pre
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote:I built a prerelease for anybody who wants to download and test it: https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /0.0.9-pre
Just tried in Mixbus 32C and it crashed Mixbus when I tried closing plugin. Same deal with Ardour. Both lv2 and VST tried.
I'm on Arch.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

funkmuscle wrote:Just tried in Mixbus 32C and it crashed Mixbus when I tried closing plugin. Same deal with Ardour. Both lv2 and VST tried.
I'm on Arch.
Aww, I thought I fixed the crash on exit. Thanks for testing it, I'll see what I can find out. Did you happen to capture any more information when it crashed, like a stack trace or terminal output?