setting up templates in Muse 3.0.2

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

funkmuscle
Established Member

setting up templates in Muse 3.0.2

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey, can anyone tell me how to set up templates in Muse 3.0.2?
I use MusE with DrumGizmo mostly and it would be a lot easier to just start a project and load the template instead of a complete set up to start off.

thanx :)
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: setting up templates in Muse 3.0.2

Post by Tim E. Real »

Click 'File -> Save' or 'File -> Save As' to open the Save dialog.
Click the 'Project is a template' dialog checkbox.
Fill in the name, and path if desired, etc. etc.
Click OK.

Now the template should be available when you click 'File -> New' and the 'User' button is chosen
(or similar navigation to YOUR saved templates in ~/.config/MusE/templates).
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sweet! thanx Tim.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

the other thing is creating a drum map for the drumgizmo kits. is that something easy?
the Instrument editor in MusE is confusing to me.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

funkmuscle wrote:the other thing is creating a drum map for the drumgizmo kits. is that something easy?
It's easy (if I remember well). I think you just double click on the instrument's name to edit it. Maybe right clicking... I think right clicking you can also remove unused instruments. (I can't try now at work, but hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

finotti wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:the other thing is creating a drum map for the drumgizmo kits. is that something easy?
It's easy (if I remember well). I think you just double click on the instrument's name to edit it. Maybe right clicking... I think right clicking you can also remove unused instruments. (I can't try now at work, but hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)
yep, I've gotten that far but how do I save as a .map so I can load when using a certain kit from drumgizmo?
I watched Michael's latest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW9FzFGeNrwand asked him about it but he was kinda busy to get into details.
His vids are great but most are an hour long.. I think maybe I'll go through them to see if he gives details.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

funkmuscle wrote:
finotti wrote:
yep, I've gotten that far but how do I save as a .map so I can load when using a certain kit from drumgizmo?
I watched Michael's latest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW9FzFGeNrwand asked him about it but he was kinda busy to get into details.
His vids are great but most are an hour long.. I think maybe I'll go through them to see if he gives details.
I don't know the answer to that, but if you are making a template, it will be saved for every time you use it. (Which is why I never thought of saving the map externally. It's already in my template.) But it might be nice to know the answer to that. Sorry I can't help much...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

finotti wrote:(Which is why I never thought of saving the map externally. It's already in my template.)
haha!! you're a genius my friend.. Duh :oops: on my side here!! You are correct, if a templates is saved, the edited drum.map should be saved also.
Thank you! I will try that out. :D
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

funkmuscle wrote:
finotti wrote:(Which is why I never thought of saving the map externally. It's already in my template.)
haha!! you're a genius my friend.. Duh :oops: on my side here!! You are correct, if a templates is saved, the edited drum.map should be saved also.
For completeness, saving a drummap is done in the right click menu on the drumtrack name in the track list.
Though I only realized just now that this option is only available AFTER you loaded a drummap(!). Seems kind of silly, will have a look at that, should not be necessary.
MusE DAW
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

spamatica wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
For completeness, saving a drummap is done in the right click menu on the drumtrack name in the track list.
Though I only realized just now that this option is only available AFTER you loaded a drummap(!). Seems kind of silly, will have a look at that, should not be necessary.
yep. that was confusing. it does save as part of the template though.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Yes. But you'll have to create all the note names and their numbers yourself.
The thing is, unlike hardware devices, you cannot select an instrument for synthesizers.
MusE grabs all the information it needs about the device from the synthesizer, because it can. Not so with actual hardware devices,
so that's why we have instrument definitions. It is up to the synthesizer to report all the necessary instrument characteristics such as
controller names and ranges, patch names and so on. And drum note names.

Here's where it gets tricky:
Currently only our Fluidsynth MESS synth can automatically report drum note names and numbers, in SoundFont files.
To do that, it requires the awesome libinstpatch from Swami, if you care to install it.
That way you don't have to create a drum map - it's all automatically garnered from the SF file.

If anyone knows a way to obtain this drum note name info from LV2 let me know. DSSI and VST are of course out of the question.
Maybe DG could add some atoms to its TTL where the note names could be found? Or am I way off or way behind here?

I recently overhauled the drum system and I do allow for maps to be loaded on synths.
Right-click on a Drum track's name in the Arranger Track List and select 'Load track's drumlist' and friends.
While a Drum Part Editor is open, right-click on the drum map for a whole host of options.
It may seem confusing at first. I was trying to implement 'global' vs. 'local' vs. 'default patch' drum note settings.
When a cell in a drum map is white instead of gray, you know it has been edited. You can 'promote' the settings
to global or promote them to the default patch (that's when the patch number is three 'blanks' or an unknown patch is selected),
and you can reset any cell, column or row and so on.
[Edit:] Oops, no only promotion to default patch. Ha, yeah I tried to include global settings (and the code is actually in there)
but the micro-management of it all was proving just too great, as you can see by the already crowded drum map right-click menu.

Must do a write-up on it.

[Edit:] If I may add, you can have different drum maps for each patch, including the default patch.
This means you can also automate a drum track program change in the middle of a song, and the map will change as well.
For example, bar 1 to 10 is say patch number '1-1-1' named 'Jazz kit' and from bar 11 onward is patch '1-1-5' named 'Power kit'.
If I recall correctly...