Airwindows VST's

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scalawag
Established Member

Re: Airwindows VST's

Post by scalawag »

funkmuscle wrote:
scalawag wrote:I hope he will do it. Ardour + Airconsole might be the "new" Mixbus :D
Ardour + Airconsole??
I mean Console (or Desk, or Busscolor, etc) :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

scalawag wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
scalawag wrote:I hope he will do it. Ardour + Airconsole might be the "new" Mixbus :D
Ardour + Airconsole??
I mean Console (or Desk, or Busscolor, etc) :D
cool... thought I was asleep and missed out! :lol:
Norlick
Established Member

Post by Norlick »

Hey guys, an update at the end of his latest plugin release reads:
Chris from Airwindows wrote:I’m still working on getting the Linux build to work. It’ll be an .so file, and when those become possible I will update every plugin I’ve made VST so far, to be also LinuxVST. (if anyone’s building LinuxVSTs, I’d love some pointers!)
I know a few guys here are great at porting VST plugins to linux, so if anybody with the relevant skills would like to message Chris, I think it would really move this along.
occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

occulkot wrote:Linux versions are now available:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=499919
no gui??
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

funkmuscle wrote:
occulkot wrote:Linux versions are now available:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=499919
no gui??
ok I read the reasons why. makes sense!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Wow I was starting to think this would never happen. Just had a play around with them and they're fantastic, quite a few will be regular goto ones for me. Some are so subtle that I can't tell if they are even doing anything but perhaps they would work better on different source material, the others are great though, my favourites are the least subtle one like Starchild.

What was the reason for no gui?
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

sysrqer wrote:What was the reason for no gui?
airwindows.com wrote: why no GUI?

Airwindows’ reputation was built out of generic-interface plugins, which typically focus on doing only one thing, often with very simple controls, labelled to help understanding but not to encourage formulaic work. There are two reasons for the generic, non-GUI interfaces. One, because it improves reliability a huge amount (many audio plugin bugs, including showstopper bugs, have to do with the GUI part). Two, because time that could be spent debugging the GUI or tweaking its look—or writing copyprotect code—can be better spent improving the sound. That’s how Airwindows rolls, since 2007.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Airwindows is about listening. It’s about the sound being far more exciting than looking at the screen, because that’s all your audience will have to go by. If you get good feelings, it had better be about what you hear! The plugins naturally lend themselves to MIDI control, assigning sliders to control surfaces. Doing that, you can mix without watching pixels, and listen without being distracted by nonsounds.
I made a similar claim when I first released infamous plugins, but that didn't last. :\ He is right, but its a hard sell.

p.s. there are so many I'm really interested to read everyone's thoughts so I don't have to try to audition them all. :)
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Norlick
Established Member

Post by Norlick »

http://www.airwindows.com/airwindows-linux/

Aaaaaand he's just released everything as LinuxVST binary
scalawag
Established Member

Post by scalawag »

Well, Ardour+Airwindows is for sure a great combination! It can almost be called the new Mixbus (kind of!)
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

scalawag wrote:Well, Ardour+Airwindows is for sure a great combination! It can almost be called the new Mixbus (kind of!)
In the same spirit of ssj71, who said:
ssj71 wrote: p.s. there are so many I'm really interested to read everyone's thoughts so I don't have to try to audition them all. :)
Would you mind sharing which ones you're using? (And your impressions, maybe?)
scalawag
Established Member

Post by scalawag »

I would say use Airwindows Console Channel on all tracks + Airwindows Console Buss in all Busses and 2bus + Airwindows FromTape on all tracks + Airwindows ToTape on all Busses and 2bus.
It's basically that. But Mixbus also has EQs, and might sound quite different overall. But i'm sure Ardour + Airwindows should give you quite good results on pair with, if not better than Mixbus.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

scalawag wrote:I would say use Airwindows Console Channel on all tracks + Airwindows Console Buss in all Busses and 2bus + Airwindows FromTape on all tracks + Airwindows ToTape on all Busses and 2bus.
It's basically that. But Mixbus also has EQs, and might sound quite different overall. But i'm sure Ardour + Airwindows should give you quite good results on pair with, if not better than Mixbus.
Thanks for the pointers! I will give it a try.
Norlick
Established Member

Post by Norlick »

I also use Console alot, always on the 2buss and the sub-busses, and PurestConsole is always used on vocal stacks. Adds a real dimension, and it's definitely one you feel, not hear.
Density on HipHop basslines is incredible, can be very subtle or a weapon of mass destruction.
NC17 is fantastic for getting a quick export for a client that's loud enough for them to enjoy.
High Impact is amazing on literally any percussion and I consider it a secret weapon.
Pressure is a fantastic compressor for vocals.
PurestDrive is amazing on the 2buss, softens the treble a bit and pushes everything forward ever so slightly.
Drive is great on the 2buss and also on various tracks to add a slight thickness
Slew2 is really good at softening treble before it hits a reverb... Or DeEssing I guess.
Pyewacket is a great snappy compressor for drums.
ADClip is a really aggressive, yet versatile sounding clipper.

Those are some standouts for me at least, but he has so many plugins and some can be very odd, so I recommend reading through his homepage from the post about Console4 onwards, where he explains and TL;DR's all of the plugins in the bundle.