OpenDeck DIY MIDI platform

Bring your custom casings, arduinos, raspberry pi's, axoloti's and other creative hardware projects

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gimmeapill
Established Member

OpenDeck DIY MIDI platform

Post by gimmeapill »

Hi Guys,

Here's another Arduino based project for building custom midi controllers that could be of interest.
This ones seems very user friendly with a web based configurator:

https://shanteacontrols.com/
https://github.com/paradajz/OpenDeck
OpenDeck is an open-source platform for building custom MIDI controllers compatible with any MIDI software and hardware on any OS.

Using OpenDeck building of MIDI controllers is simpler than ever.
Instead of spending time on choosing the right electronics, writing code, and solving lots of unnecessary problems, simply connect components of your MIDI controller into OpenDeck board and you’re done.
Additional board configuration can be done online – no installation of extra software is necessary!
main features

Class-compliant USB MIDI
Easy configuration using Web interface
No drivers or extra software needed
Compatible with all MIDI software and hardware
Works on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android
supported COMPONENTS

Buttons
Encoders
Potentiometers
FSRs
Single color and RGB LEDs (with PWM)
Supported boards

Official OpenDeck board
Arduino Pro Micro
Arduino Uno
Arduino Leonardo
Arduino Mega2560
Teensy++ 2.0
Cheers,

LX
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: OpenDeck DIY MIDI platform

Post by sysrqer »

This looks really interesting, I was very close to making one about 10 years ago with a project I forget the name of but it was very much starting from scratch and a bit over my head. Funny thing is though that the biggest problem I had would remain with this, finding a way to get a box built for it.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Yes, been right there too. This one really seems to bring down the level of difficulty to an acceptable level (at least for me).
The remaining problem (as it was ten years ago) is then to keep the price of the components in check vs consumer models.
Once you add decent pots and sliders you quickly get overboard, so I still don't see myself building one of those yet.

I've been searching for years for a replacement to my aging BCR2000 and in the end settled for an Akai Midimix.
Let's be clear: the Akai is nowhere as good or flexible as the BCR + it has some design tradeoffs. But it is small and the price is unbeatable, so this gets the job done for now.
Still, I miss those encoders with visual feedback that align themselves automatically at each preset change - someday maybe ;-)
beto
Established Member

Post by beto »

I've been searching for years for a replacement to my aging BCR2000 and in the end settled for an Akai Midimix.
Have you seen the MIDI Fighter Twister? Not as many knobs as the BCR2000, but has infinite encoders with RGB LEDs, and in my opinion is more reliable than the BCR2000.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

beto wrote:
Have you seen the MIDI Fighter Twister? Not as many knobs as the BCR2000, but has infinite encoders with RGB LEDs, and in my opinion is more reliable than the BCR2000.
Yes, but thanks for the suggestion - it comes very close. I've been eyeing the Twister since it was announced, but I couldn't justify the price given the number of encoders. Even though each encoder can send 3 midi CCs (and you can swicth between 6 layouts), this is not enough, I need ideally eight in a single row. And 2 of them would be just too expensive - for that price you get 4 x midimixes...
I've even contacted the DJ tech tools guys to ask them if they didn't plan anything double the size (since they introduced an 8x8 version of the midi fighter), but this doesn't seem to be on their todo list.
Regarding the reliability of the BCR2000: mine survived 12 years of active duty (it's an early 2004 model) and about 70-80 gigs (most of them outdoor raves). It got frozen, flooded, short circuited etc... The encoders get scratchy and jumpy over time, but with a bit of mineral oil they're back in business in no time. So I'd say it's not so bad.
Ok, I'll stop derailling my own thread - let's talk about this OpenDeck instead ;-)
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Wow, I just had a look around for a BCR2000 to buy, they cost loads now! I was hoping to pick one up because it would be quite handy at the moment and there used to be loads floating around second hand. The BCR/F were such good controllers.

I think you could make a controller with it being cost effective but I do remember that getting decent parts quickly bumps the price up.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Yep, there's clearly a gap in the market for this rare breed of a controller.
Berhringer stills list it on their pages, but it's effectively discontinued and out of stock.
The Livid guys also discontinued their Code2:
http://lividinstruments.com/news/code-version-2/

Even with an OpenDeck firmware as a basis, I don't remember seeing any such encoders for sale individually - probably by lack of demand...
Isn't anyone able to turn a knob nowadays?
paradajz
Established Member

Post by paradajz »

Hi, Igor here, creator of OpenDeck. I'm glad the project is being posted here.
gimmeapill wrote:Here's another Arduino based project for building custom midi controllers that could be of interest.
It's not Arduino based (actually it has nothing to do with Arduino framework), however, selected Arduino boards can be flashed with OpenDeck firmware.

I'm here to answer any questions.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

paradajz wrote:Hi, Igor here, creator of OpenDeck. I'm glad the project is being posted here.
gimmeapill wrote:Here's another Arduino based project for building custom midi controllers that could be of interest.
It's not Arduino based (actually it has nothing to do with Arduino framework), however, selected Arduino boards can be flashed with OpenDeck firmware.

Hey, nice to see you here. I don't have any questions but I really admire what you've done to make DIY midi controllers accessible.
simonvanderveldt
Established Member

Post by simonvanderveldt »

gimmeapill wrote:Yep, there's clearly a gap in the market for this rare breed of a controller.
Berhringer stills list it on their pages, but it's effectively discontinued and out of stock.
The Livid guys also discontinued their Code2:
http://lividinstruments.com/news/code-version-2/

Even with an OpenDeck firmware as a basis, I don't remember seeing any such encoders for sale individually - probably by lack of demand...
Isn't anyone able to turn a knob nowadays?
I've got a livid code2 now and want to start building a smaller version of it with just the 32 encoders + light rings, no buttons.
If you have any experience with building these kinds of things and want to join let me know!
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

sysrqer wrote:
paradajz wrote:Hi, Igor here, creator of OpenDeck. I'm glad the project is being posted here.

Hey, nice to see you here. I don't have any questions but I really admire what you've done to make DIY midi controllers accessible.
Hi Igor, welcome ;-)

Same for me: I don't plan to jump on board at the moment, but I thought your project deserved a bit of exposure.
I'm sure this will give inspiration to a few chaps here ;-)

Cheers,

LX
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

simonvanderveldt wrote: I've got a livid code2 now and want to start building a smaller version of it with just the 32 encoders + light rings, no buttons.
If you have any experience with building these kinds of things and want to join let me know!
I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge or experience (or even time)...
But those devices shouldn't be too hard to modify since they are apparently pre-assembled kits around the Livid "midi brain", no?
Still, given the price of the unit I wouldn't really advise to modify it, but rather start from scratch with something like an OpenDeck as the basis.
This brings us back to those encoders with LED rings that don't seem to exist anywhere as spare parts...
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Actually I might have spoken too fast: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10982
paradajz
Established Member

Post by paradajz »

gimmeapill wrote:Actually I might have spoken too fast: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10982
The link and the image actually show two different things. Link contains rotary encoder with integrated button and RGB LED. All those components are supported on OpenDeck. The image is actually breakout board which isn't sold by Sparkfun anymore and it contains two shift registers which control the LEDs based on the encoder movement (if you program it that way, of course). That's not supported in OpenDeck since they're quite hard to find, but support for it would be doable on future revisions of the board. Right now I'm adding support for OLED/LCD displays and more advanced I2C sensors (gyroscopes, accelerometers etc.).
paradajz
Established Member

Post by paradajz »

Support added for I2C LCD/OLED displays:
20180218_192349(0).jpg
20180218_192349(0).jpg (174.31 KiB) Viewed 14927 times
20180218_192416.jpg
20180218_192416.jpg (182.35 KiB) Viewed 14927 times
28059198_765190873674155_4257037372266251220_n.png
28059198_765190873674155_4257037372266251220_n.png (53.73 KiB) Viewed 14906 times
Since I'm using a wrapper for fatastic U8x2 library, OpenDeck supports anything that library supports, which is a lot!