AV Linux 2018... what kernel do ya want for default??

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

singforme
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2018... what kernel do ya want for default??

Post by singforme »

Thanks Glen for your hard work, have benefitted a lot from AVL. Hope 2018 things work out better for you. I can't really say anything from experience about the difference in both kernels in terms of speed but i really think one millisecond more in latency wouldn't hurt anyone. So if differences are minor why make it more complicated. I think giving people instructions on how to install an even faster kernel is the way to go. It's not a big deal anyway. However if I try out a distro for the first time and the first thing that happens is the kernel clashing with my graphics adaptor - I'd just not bother with trying any further.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

I just noted the default part of the topic! :)

I guess you could default to lowlat if that is an improvement for someone, don't really see why it would be.. But in that case, please keep an optional rt for users to install if they are so inclined. Like that everyone can get what they want.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Jack Winter wrote:I just noted the default part of the topic! :)

I guess you could default to lowlat if that is an improvement for someone, don't really see why it would be.. But in that case, please keep an optional rt for users to install if they are so inclined. Like that everyone can get what they want.
No matter what becomes default there will still be both kernel preemption types available in the repositories..
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

GMaq wrote:No matter what becomes default there will still be both kernel preemption types available in the repositories..
Great news!

Someone on the reaper forum with a nvidia and 4 screens was just asking about realtime kernel + nvidia, wasn't quite sure what to say. He seemed to think it might be a problem, does it work with the current release? Would be good to know what to respond about the current and future releases :)
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Jack Winter wrote:
GMaq wrote:No matter what becomes default there will still be both kernel preemption types available in the repositories..
Great news!

Someone on the reaper forum with a nvidia and 4 screens was just asking about realtime kernel + nvidia, wasn't quite sure what to say. He seemed to think it might be a problem, does it work with the current release? Would be good to know what to respond about the current and future releases :)
Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean... are you asking: (a) if 4 screens could be run with Nouveau+RT? Or (b) if there is any way to get proprietary nVidia drivers+RT on the current AV Linux release?

The answer to (a) is I don't know, and the answer to (b) is only by installing the latest lowlatency kernel from our repository and using the included sgfxi script as discussed here in Reply #6: http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?top ... 2#msg24192
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

GMaq wrote:The answer to (a) is I don't know, and the answer to (b) is only by installing the latest lowlatency kernel from our repository and using the included sgfxi script as discussed here in Reply #6: http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?top ... 2#msg24192
Ok, so AVLinux 2017 defaults to realtime kernel but comes with nouveau drivers for the nvidia hardware.

To run with the nvidia driver one needs to install a low latency kernel.

Thank you, I got it. Wasn't sure what to answer. I'll pass this on, and send the user this way if he has any further questions.
Rickkkk
Established Member

Post by Rickkkk »

I'd ship with the RT kernel by default.

Cheers !
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Really looking forward to avl2018. On current setup I tried to do go from Debian and do all the audio adjustments myself but didn't really have the patience and knowledge to make it as fast and furious as the real thing;)
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

Hello Glen, my old buddy,

I have a couple of side questions.
When the new installation image is expected to be released?
Is there a testing image available?
Perhaps i could contribute with testing and ideas.
For example i believe that for the current setup (PulseAudio+Jack) Its better to use Alsa volume control, because the Pulseaudio volume does not affect the applications that use Jack server. Another approach to consider, is to make Jack as the default sound server, with the use of Cadence instead of Qjackctl

Anyway i wish you all the best GMaq !
To you and your AVLinux project
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
dillon
Established Member

Post by dillon »

I'd like to see the low latency please.

I'm buying a new hard drive and want to install AVLinux on it, can I do that now and update to your new 2018 easily or is it better to wait for the 2018 to start fresh?