best guitar effect program

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wayneward
Established Member

best guitar effect program

Post by wayneward »

i dont want to start a rakarrack vs guitarist but..

I personally love guitarix i can work with it and it looks great and love some of the sounds ive made with it.

a good friend came round tonight who is a time served guitarist better than me! he tried guitarix and wasnt that impressed so i said oh i have rakarack and he said lets try that he said thats awesome he said it sounded better? im thinking maybe i got guitarist setup wrong or something?

he was like switching the two in and out and the rackarack was sounding top end so now im not so sure

any thoughts please ... i think im not setting up guitarix right maybe?
ufug
Established Member

Re: best guitar effect program

Post by ufug »

I used to think of them as comparable, but now I understand that Rakarrack and Guitarix are very different tools.

Rakarrack is a collection of typical guitar effect pedals. All very good.

Guitarix has effects too, but it is really a hardware emulator of everything except the guitar itself. The amps, cabinets and effects are set up like you would set up physical gear. Guitarix pays off with the time you invest with it, working on your settings just like you do with your guitar in real life. It takes some time to get the sound you want and find the amps and cabs that work best with your instrument to get you where you want to go.

Just my opinion, but Rakarrak is like playing with a pedalboard. Guitarix is like having an entire guitar store at you disposal.

Both helpful tools, but not really comparable as they are so different.
listenable at c6a7.org
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

I really can't help, as I have trouble dialing a good tone with either.

I wish someone would make good video tutorials for both. The one's I've seen seem older and do not go in much detail...
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

im going to get them patched in side by side and try and get some of the preset sounds in rakarrack into guitarix
ill look at the effects its using in rakarrack and apply them in guitarix and try and make them better for me.

the presets in guitarix are a bit shoddy when you start pulling them to bits
they need somebody tp sit down and make some top end presets to like to get you started and work from...

like we have the input - then needs amp sim so you can pick amp then compressor etc effects then amp sim like a template to get you going :)
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

wayneward wrote: the presets in guitarix are a bit shoddy when you start pulling them to bits
they need somebody tp sit down and make some top end presets to like to get you started and work from...
I had the same impression with Guitarix: better start from scratch with your own guitar than try to use a preset.
It seems to be quite picky with what you plug into. I would generally see this as a good thing, as it leaves your guitar's character shine through instead of squashing / levelling everything like a cheap POD.
For a real tube amp, this would generally be considered a quality - so we're right into the target use case here ;-)

But this means also that it is relatively hard to write a preset that will sound good out of the box for different configurations.
There can be quite significant variations according to the guitar, sampling rate / bit depth, Guitarix version, OS, soundcard, etc...
Also, some effects are higher quality than others, but hey, that's open source after all...
At least the lead developer is helpful and responsive (Hi Tramp ;-)).
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

im finding some great sounds with it
its a sake of spending some time with it and making sure you get the racks in the right place!
im going to start by going through my set and making a sound for each one as i go a long and try and use existing ones as i build up
dont need a massive array or presets i only use compression / delay wah and overdrive live and chorus here and there so not so much t configure ..

the behringer midi foot controller fcb1010 arrived today so thats going to be fun to get going!
a bit of a mission in front of me!
flappix
Established Member

Post by flappix »

I didn't tested the last release of guitarix but the one before that and I definitely like rakarrack more.
The effects its create can be very spacey and sounds more interesting to me.
But I never tried to emulate a real setup consisting of an amp, cabinet, etc. Maybe in this case guitarix would be the better choice.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

did you know:

most of the rakarrack effects have been ported to lv2 plugins and can be used IN guitarix!?!

Wow. :)

The state of rkrlv2 is still kinda beta stage, so please report any bugs you come across. Some effects are solid, some haven't been tested much. https://github.com/ssj71/rkrlv2
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

ssj71 wrote:The state of rkrlv2 is still kinda beta stage
For what it's worth, any of the rkrlv2 plugins that I have tried seem to work as expected, I've never had any trouble from them.
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

awesome i loaded these in thank you :)

ive got guitarix connected nicely working with the behringer midi foot switch after a re-caliberation
which ive blogged about here
http://wayneward.es/linux-audio/guitari ... ibration/

also ive added all the racks in using a good orderly fashion and created a standard setup preset i can use for my rig setups

some more information to follow :)