Everything is a speaker...

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ufug
Established Member

Everything is a speaker...

Post by ufug »

"Using high speed cameras, it’s possible to record the vibrations of everyday objects caused by nearby sounds and reverse engineer the sounds…essentially turning anything that vibrates into a speaker."

I've wondered about this ever since I was a kid (everything vibrates, right?) but had no idea just how possible it was to retrieve sound from nearby objects.

Amazing, super creepy or both.
listenable at c6a7.org
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Everything is a speaker...

Post by Michael Willis »

"This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it... I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen... Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move." - HAL 9000
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Michael Willis wrote:"This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it... I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen... Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move." - HAL 9000
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's only a matter of time before Alexa/HAL gets a high-speed camera. Things are not going to end well.
listenable at c6a7.org
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Reverse engineering vibrations to the point that "everything is a speaker" should be a very difficult, very slow and neverending task. Each material will have its own vibration patterns, also subject to temperature, perhaps air pressure and who knows what else. Every single situation would have to be covered, which is probably impossible.

Laser microphones already do some of that, but the result is bad. You can barely understand what someone is saying behind a glass pane.

Bats do better than that: they "see" with their echolocation, which gives them the advantage of seeing around obstacles. Some scientists believe they might even be able to "feel" texture from a distance by judging the waves that bounce off the surfaces.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Luc wrote:Reverse engineering vibrations to the point that "everything is a speaker" should be a very difficult, very slow and neverending task. Each material will have its own vibration patterns, also subject to temperature, perhaps air pressure and who knows what else. Every single situation would have to be covered, which is probably impossible.
Perhaps you don't need to model everything to such a deep degree to have a reasonable approximation of the primary sound field. Techniques like this are pretty common in optics, although they are made much more complex to adapt to acoustics for many physical reasons.