Question for Zoom R16 owners using Fedora as well

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Question for Zoom R16 owners using Fedora as well

Post by glowrak guy »

Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:Hello all,
Presently under consideration is .....my regular laptop.
What instruments do you play and want to record? What kinds of sounds?
What genres of music? Everybody is off in the weeds commenting on nuts and bolts
and technicalities, and getting you nowhere. What are your artistic goals?

As you know, your desktop is far superior for audio production. And full midi i/o is an essential,
in almost all cases these days, in which scenarios, a full-featured midi controller keyboard
connected to an audio/midi interface that actually works with linux, will serve you far better
than some hardware and sliders, which don't.

If the zoom meets many/all of your recording needs as a standalone device,
that's great, but to get involved in computer based production,
you need an interface that works. One with full audio and midi
integration, to use with daw apps that feature fine software mixers
and mastering plugins. Such as the Komplete Audio 6, among others,
and linux daw apps like reaper, bitwig and mixbus.

I also think your laptop took a hard fall, perhaps loosening a connection(s),
perhaps has failing solder somewhere, or cooling issues leading to componant failure,
and or a damaged/weakened battery, maybe all four, based on the connection drop-outs,
radio play, and keyboard input issue.

Hope you're up and running soon! More info about your plans
will yield more focussed answers. A drummer and a cellist need not
have the same gear :wink:
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Re: Question for Zoom R16 owners using Fedora as well

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

glowrak guy writes: What instruments do you play and want to record? What kinds of sounds? What genres of music? Everybody is off in the weeds commenting on nuts and bolts and technicalities, and getting you nowhere. What are your artistic goals?
- Instruments: electric strings, keys, voice (occasionally), but a range of virtual instruments from various orchestral libraries is also in use;
- Sounds: I hope to include Petri-Foo in my new studio set-up, looking forward to experiment with sampling my own voice and sounds derived from everyday household objects;
- My background is in jazz, but I'm moving towards a more classical direction;
- Artistic goals: recording selected pieces from composers like Dowland, Satie, and Shostakovich with a one-man virtual quartet comprising of instruments ("hardware" as well as virtual) not common in classical music practice.
glowrak guy writes: Sell the Zoom, buy a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Your advice was undoubtedly well-meant, but I'm glad, retrospectively, that I didn't follow-up on it. I can report, some four months after initiating this thread, that R16, in audio interface mode, is now fully operational in KDE Mint 17 ("Qiana", not "Rosa", as I wrote earlier, mistakenly). Furthermore, a good friend pointed out to me how surprisingly simple replacing the existing kernel with kernel 4.4 actually is:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency

Since kernel 4.4 has been brought in, Zoom R16 is now appearing in Cadence/qjackctl, meaning that it's well and truly recognised and identified. I'm now hoping that kernel 4.14 will lead to a similar result in Fedora, later in January.

Veerstryngh Thynner