VLC to start using JACK in AUTO?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

VLC to start using JACK in AUTO?

Post by fretski »

If I want to hear VLC audio while JACK is running I need to set "Audio" to "Jack" in VLC preferences, save, exit and relaunch.

Is there a way to have VLC latch itself to JACK automatically while "Auto" is in prefs instead of "Jack"?
Brynildsen
Established Member

Re: VLC to start using JACK in AUTO?

Post by Brynildsen »

"Arch/i3-wm/Bitwig/Renoise/Guitarix/Airwave/a couple of winVST's"
"i7-6700K 4ghz, gtx910ti, 16gb ram" + "X201s-i7-640LM 2.13ghz, 8gb ram"
"Presonus 22vsl + Scarlett 2i2 2.gen."
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

Brynildsen wrote:look in VLC preferences..
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JA ... rting_JACK
Thanks very much, that did it!
Brynildsen
Established Member

Post by Brynildsen »

fretski wrote:Thanks very much, that did it!
Cool dont forget to mark SOLVED pls.. :D
Last edited by Brynildsen on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brynildsen
Established Member

Post by Brynildsen »

BTW...

Another way is to install the pulseaudio-jack package.. on Arch it is in official repo. This means that you load up jack, restart pulseaudio and it will automaticly connect to a jack sink instead of your soundcard, which is now owned by jack. When you exit and stop jack, you just restart pulse again and it hooks back up to the soundcard like normal.

That way all your usual programs like browsers, mediaplayers, flashplayers work like you are used to, and your pulseaudiomixer pavucontrol still sets your volume for all these things, exept your musicsoftware/DAW which has its own seperate internal volume control. It is practial because you don't need to go into any program settings anywhere, like you do on VLC here..

There should be something similar to a pulseaudio-jack package on most distros I think, if not ask in your distros forum.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Is there a GUI tool that can restart pulseaudio when JACK is toggled? Maybe add a feature request to QJackCtl?
Brynildsen
Established Member

Post by Brynildsen »

Lyberta wrote:Is there a GUI tool that can restart pulseaudio when JACK is toggled? Maybe add a feature request to QJackCtl?
I don't think so.. but..
in terminal write:

Code: Select all

pulseaudio -k
with tabcompletion it is probably just as quick as clicking an icon.. make a bash script an put on your desktop so you can click it if you want.
Pulseaudio usually respawns itself on most desktop environments, which is fine because it should then connect as pulseaudio/jack sink instead.
Keep an eye on qjackctl connections window, where it should show up again a few sec after you kill it.
Or write

ps -A |grep pulse
or start htop -> F4 filter write pulse and watch it dissappear for a moment and spawn back.

You can probably also write it in the server prefix in qjackctl settings, never tried..
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

Brynildsen wrote:
fretski wrote:Thanks very much, that did it!
Cool dont forget to mark SOLVED pls.. :D
It worked for a while but no longer does, on Suse-13.2 at the moment :(
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

I'm revisiting this again because I'm not getting what I want. When I start qJackCtl (guitar sessions because Audacity records really nicely with jack, not so hot without it) I want everything music to use jack. The VLC prefs doesn't work anymore via the show-all route; what do I put into "Connect to clients matching" and into "Jack Client Name"? Anyway I'm now past the VLC-only level so the suggestions to restart pulse because that will reroute all sound business to jack sounds like a good idea. Except it don't work either.

For what it's worth (using Suse TW right now) there is NO pulseaudio-jack package to install, I have everything that has pulse in it that is installable installed however

pulseaudio -k
doesn't echo anything nor show in the qJackCtl connections window

ps -A |grep pulse 
gives

4334 ?        00:00:00 pulseaudio
What else can I do?
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

fretski wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm If I want to hear VLC audio while JACK is running I need to set "Audio" to "Jack" in VLC preferences, save, exit and relaunch. Is there a way to have VLC latch itself to JACK automatically while "Auto" is in prefs instead of "Jack"?
I came across a script called "pajackconnect"

https://github.com/brummer10/pajackconnect

which does exactly what I was looking for, it routes everything pulse through jack.

sweeeeeet
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Did you install the VLC JACK plugin?
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

TAERSH wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:25 pm Did you install the VLC JACK plugin?
Yes, I ran intro VLC prefences dialogs which I had no idea what to put into but it's all moot now, this script gives me EVERYTHING. I can now sit down to a creative or jam session using jack and browse the net or launch a 'kill everyone on the planet' shootup game for distraction. For "my" money I see no reason not to leave jack running all the time as the final sound authority :)

I'm very pleased with it, as I am with vBox that now allows me to run my Me80 bundleware under windows while using all my Linux music apps in parallel.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Yes, I have JACK running constantly also. For some programs like Gnome Wave Cleaner I have additional sound card setup (thanks to one forum member pointing me to it), so I can run ALSA only programs under JACK. Only Firefox doesn't have sound, as it needs pulse audio, which I don't have installed - don't like it, don't want it.

I like the browser not having sound at all, as I find it very annoying sometimes some video/sound suddenly playing while entering a web-site. Usually I download videos I want to watch or I'm running Palemoon browser which doesn't need pulse audio, so I can run it by the additional sound card setup ALSA to JACK.