Make "Active Topics" available in "Quick links" for unlogged in users

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

Make "Active Topics" available in "Quick links" for unlogged in users

Post by milkii »

An list of the latest topics across all boards would be a nice experience for users without an account.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Re: Make "Active Topics" available in "Quick links" for unlogged in users

Post by milkii »

People who don't want to post just won't register. Having a degraded performance for the reason of getting people to register would I think behaviourally be classed as 'positive punishment', and IMO against the nature of open culture. Still, economically, if there's value added of 'Active Topics' being available to unregistered users, they'll stick around more cos content would be easier to follow so more opportunity to see something interesting they like then register and post.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

1. http://theforest.org.uk/bb - phpbb forum with active links available to unregistered users

2. too trollish to bother replying to

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

42low wrote:Don't talk bullsh!t man.
Claim down, man.

To serve the majority of users here, it would be fortune to make "Active Topics" available, it's that simple.
Just check the logs.

On the road again.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Sounds like a good idea.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

42low wrote:I am calm.
I'm glad to hear that,

forgive me, please, but I'll ignore the rest of your post, sorry for that.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

This is a community, not a social media platform. It matters not if there were 7, 70, 700 or 70,000 active users, it's not about the numbers, it's about the exchange of knowledge and the relationships forged. I'd rather have a community of 2 contributing value than a gang of 79 typing nonsense.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

A "Social Media Platform" purports to be a place that encourages community but actually is only really interested in gaining the largest amount of reach to advertisers who fund it. I agree that the word 'Social' is in there but in the context of 'Social Media Platform' it counts very little to a society and is about as far away from fostering community as it's possible to get.

Community is absolutely Social, but "Social Media Platform' generally isn't. I realise people of different cultures may find it difficult to interpret what I'm writing but please read what I'm saying and not what YOU think I'm disagreeing with you about.

Now, The reason I write these things is because you didn't fully read my post. You interpreted it to mean what you wanted it to mean rather than what I was trying to tell you. You decided to imply I was foolish by saying I don't know what community is and then attempt to belittle me (ROFLOL). You now wonder why I and others are not happy with your response. This is my give to your take. I trust you will adapt.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

42low wrote:Btw, again...
7 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests
Were among those 7 registered 4 search bots so actually 3 real members.
:roll: ONLY THREE (incl myself) on about seventy. My blood is running out. :mrgreen: Comm on guest ... register ... join!!!
Be careful what you wish for!
Many 'guests' are either tracker bots or potential spammers :(

Ah, sorry falkTK didn't see you'd got there first.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

42low wrote: And then i ask, why should i give if i won't get back?
Have you ever read a book? Did you need to write a book to balance the fact you had read one? When you perform music do you only perform for musicians who are performing at the same time as you? I understand your need but I think you may need to re-evaluate it.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

42low wrote:Strange no one wants to understand that. Do you all work for free?
Ähhhmm, yes.
I'm working since 2008 on guitarix, the total amount of developers hours took an estimated 148 years of effort (https://www.openhub.net/p/guitarix/estimated_cost).

I share my work for free and ain't expect anything to get back. Beside that I've work out a couple of other projects which I share as well for free. Some of them I provide under the Public Domain License, which mean you can do with it what ever you want.

Some parts of my work get used in a commercial project, so it helps people making some money. And yes, I'm fine with that. Even more, I provide support for free for them. :wink:

And, I'm not the only one here, who work (for free) on the open source base, to provide "YOU" a better experience with Linux Audio.

Beside that, think about the million people who work for the different Distributions. Without there work, we all wont be here, as they provide us the base were we stand on. They all do it for free without expecting any fee or feedback.

So forgime that I can't understand your continues stances that you will get something back when you post a help here. :lol: :lol:

Knowledge sharing, without doubts, is one of the bases of linux.
So sharing knowledge here in the forum, without doubts, is natural for me. And therefore it ain't mater if the reader is a member or not. I'm welcome guests, old members, and new members as well.
No mater which religion, colour or gender. :)

regards
hermann
On the road again.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

42low - i called your response to the second quote trollish because it used forms of rhetoric that could be said to match the behaviour of those who are actively trolls.

i mindfully did not call you a troll because that wouldn't have helped either you or anyone else.

i stopped there because i try to manage my attention and time.
Although i love open culture IMO fully open is an utopia. Not everything can be 'open'. No one will show me his wife without any clothing. Or his bankaccount, savings and all spendings of the last 6 months.
a) the type of data you refer is of quite a different class to that pertaining to my original post. in the context we are in, this makes this noise against signal.

b) some people would be like "i wouldn't give a shit" about the cashflow info, and some may potentially be an exhibitionist who has given consent (or who has pics on fetlife). so i know from experience this text is based on flawed premise.

but b) is just about experience, so it was more a) that was at issue because;
Btw, why should those people not be open and simply register? If they want open they must be open themselves too. A healthy balance between giving and receiving.
you then flipped the open argument around. "why should those people not be open and simply register" can be answered with "Not everything can be 'open'."

finally you also then avoided responding to the explicit benefit of the change i noted, which is also a fairly frustrating kind of behaviour that trolls use.

anyway, hope this finds you and all well, peace n reflection, i need to go sleep.

Broomy
Established Member

Post by Broomy »

I agree with falkTX and Tramp, and I'm very thankful for the great work they and others do for the open source community.
IMHO the "I share for free what I have to offer"-philosphy, makes the world a better place.

Back to the orginal guestion: Although being a registered user, I often check this forum using different computers and therefore not being logged in.
It would be helpful if I can click on a "active topics"-button and check if there's a thread were I want to respond to.

Hans
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge
AndersBiork
Established Member

Post by AndersBiork »

milk wrote:An list of the latest topics across all boards would be a nice experience for users without an account.
I think that's a very good idea.
Availability is needed for the linux world to flourish.
I'm no fan of gated communities, anywhere.

My mother tongue is swedish. Running KXstudio on Xubuntu 22.04. No wine. No whine. But beers.

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Could a mod or admin please make this change?