New version Linux Sampler 2.1 released

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

Re: New version Linux Sampler 2.1 released

Post by milkii »

all users of LinuxSampler binary and all users of Carla where LinuxSampler is linked to libgig commit copyright infringement.

Code: Select all

*   libgig - C++ cross-platform Gigasampler format file access library    *
 *   Copyright (C) 2003-2017 by Christian Schoenebeck                      *
 *                              <cuse@users.sourceforge.net>               *
 *   This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify  *
 *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by  *
 *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or     *
 *   (at your option) any later version.                                   *
gpl2 allows for tivoization. i'm not sure if it's possible if "(at your option)" allows for legal interpretation/re-licencing under gpl3 (like I think you can relicense bsd as gpl).

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

milk wrote:gpl2 allows for tivoization. i'm not sure if it's possible if "(at your option)" allows for legal interpretation/re-licencing under gpl3 (like I think you can relicense bsd as gpl).
Yes, this means you can link libgig to [A]GPLv3 code and resulting binary will be [A]GPLv3.

Note that there no language like you have the right to link this library to proprietary LinuxSampler backend that would grant you a right. You have no right to link it right now.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

falkTX wrote:libgig is GPLv2+, not GPLv3.
Nobody said that libgig is GPLv3. We were discussing what "or any later version" means.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

falkTX wrote:
LS implemented scripting for GIG first because it was easier to do, specially because they already have a GIG file editor.
If you read the 2.1 changelog, you see that they integrated the scripting parser directly into gigedit.
As we don't have an opensource SFZ editor yet (and I mean more than text editor and manually managing files), I agree their decision makes sense.

Now they added the same scripting support to SFZ files, which is great to see.

This new scripting support seems to be made in order to go against (the real proprietary) NI Kontakt.
Even the name is based on it..
Maybe I read too quickly the changelog. If I understand well their scripting parser can add features to the .gig format, and moreover to sfz. As it's not easy to find new .gig files, does this mean it's possible to make new .gig or .sfz from samples and enhance them by scripting a la Kontakt ?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

falkTX wrote:That's the point of scripting languages in sampler formats, so yes :)
That's pretty good, I'm curious to see if free people will produce new samples banks with enhanced features.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

stanlea wrote:
falkTX wrote:That's the point of scripting languages in sampler formats, so yes :)
That's pretty good, I'm curious to see if free people will produce new samples banks with enhanced features.
I don't think so. The bottleneck is recording the instruments, not the programming side.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

nilshi wrote:
stanlea wrote:
I don't think so. The bottleneck is recording the instruments, not the programming side.
The success of Kontakt is based on its power on scripts, no ?
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

stanlea wrote:The success of Kontakt is based on its power on scripts, no ?
Scripts help professionally recorded instruments that are most likely proprietary. There is no point in using GIG or SFZ with proprietary samples.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Lyberta wrote:
stanlea wrote:The success of Kontakt is based on its power on scripts, no ?
Scripts help professionally recorded instruments that are most likely proprietary. There is no point in using GIG or SFZ with proprietary samples.
I didn't say that. You can take existing free samples or record your own and then enhance their use with scripts. So a sampler is more than a simple sample player. FWIU
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

stanlea wrote:
nilshi wrote:
stanlea wrote:
The success of Kontakt is based on its power on scripts, no ?
The success of Kontat *compared to other sample hosts* is based on scripts. That and that samples are encrypted which seems to be a rather good copy protection up to today. The timely death of the Gigastudio helped as well to create a power vacuum. All these and more were not open file formats though and couldn't be used in Linux, except .gig, but practically only after the format was relevant.

However, this has little to do with the motivation to get samples created. People do not create sample banks because they are dissatisfied with the flexibility of the file format.. They don't do it because it is technically hard, demands a lot of skill, time, patience and attention and cannot be solved by programming but only by money. Adding more complexity in the form of scripts will not create the motivation for people suddenly creating new instruments. They would have done so already. There are no good acoustic samples of anything but the most basic instruments like piano and drums because these are difficult to record in the first place

Supplemental:
Scripting does not make the sound better. There are a few ""upcycling"-tricks of course, but they are mostly "I did it because it was possible". The resulting sound will not sound any better than what you can achieve without scripts, effects and a bit of elbow-grease already.

Scripting only becomes relevant when there are many recorded samples, on top of the already hundreds and thousands of samples for normal notes, that need to be chosen dynamically. For example a script that analyses for a guitar sample if a fret change is likely at this change between notes and plays it. And even that may not be a real example because it requires look ahead in the midi data. But it was the first sample for "intermediate sounds" that I could think of which is not too obscure.
Arthurx
Established Member

Post by Arthurx »

Hi, great!
Big thanks to Christian Schoenebeck and the other Linux sampler developers to keep improving it.
I am quite sure that Paul and Jeff will find great use for the scripting possibilities.
To discover new ways to combine and refine sounds take lots of effort and time.

As I have stated before, I use it everyday and in the last year I have done 14 performances.
And luckily all without a single hiccup.
:D
Arthur