Any recent DAW comparisons?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Any recent DAW comparisons?

Post by tavasti »

Jack Winter wrote:
tavasti wrote:I would value jack transport pretty high. Without it, is it possible to record from multiple interfaces?
I suppose you could always use JACK1's builtin client to add another soundcard to the graph, otherwise the alsa_in/out or zita-a2jbridge utilities should work. IIRC there is also a way to create a combined ALSA interface but I'm not sure since I've never tried that.
But alsa_in creates jack-device from alsa device. There is multiple alsa devices available, but can reaper use them?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

tavasti wrote:But alsa_in creates jack-device from alsa device. There is multiple alsa devices available, but can reaper use them?
Yes that would be a way to use different devices with jack. Also see this https://alsa.opensrc.org/TwoCardsAsOne, but have never tried it with reaper. The usual caveats regarding sync apply. Reaper itself has no explicit support for multiple soundcards at the moment, suppose alsa midi would be more important ;)
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I wouldn't waste my time on looking for a DAW comparison on Linux. There are only two "real" Linux DAW's: Ardour and Qtractor. The others are for Windows and/or stupendously intelligence insultingly expen$ive. I personally like Qtractor best because:
  1. It's actively developed
  2. The dev is active on this forum
  3. You can de-activate a lot of UI elements and concentrate on the music tracks.
  4. No need for a separate QjackCtl window: it's already in Qtractor
  5. They say Qtractor is better suited fort Midi than Ardour. Ardour on the other hand is said to be better in editing audio tracks.
I really don't understand people coughing up hundreds of dollars for Ableton or Bitwig. But that's me.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: I really don't understand people coughing up hundreds of dollars for Ableton or Bitwig. But that's me.
If you want to play live then there's no comparison but it depends what you need I suppose.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: They say Qtractor is better suited fort Midi than Ardour. Ardour on the other hand is said to be better in editing audio tracks.
This is so true and quite frustrating.
listenable at c6a7.org
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I really don't understand people coughing up hundreds of dollars for Ableton or Bitwig. But that's me.
bitwig is cool. (and i would buy it if i could afford)
my view is somewhat limited by the kind of music i'm making (various electronic club/dance styles), but anyway, it contains not only the DAW by itself, but also a set of plugins (including synths) that is absolutelly sufficient for the whole production cycle.
and what makes bitwig special is the ability of virtually any parameter to be modulated by virtually any other parameter. yes, i can do that with free stuff available on linux, but it takes a lot more time & effort.
Brynildsen
Established Member

Post by Brynildsen »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I really don't understand people coughing up hundreds of dollars for Ableton or Bitwig. But that's me.
For me it is not much different than buying a new instrument or a piece of hardware. When I buy I tend to use the stuff a LOT, several hours a day, day in and day out, for years and years. For me those money are actually well spend.

I think a lot of the free software are made by people that are great at writing code, and thinks like a programmer, NOT like a musician/artist, and this is why some of the commercial software in my case still wins. My approach on using linux as a studio environment is that I generally like the system and the stability of the OS. Not that it doesn't cost anything. But there are two sides of this, or rather of me. I have a curious geeky side, love messing around with my system, ricing and trying out new things, but the moment I pick up my guitar and are in the composing/idea/artistic/improvising groove, I enter a totally different state of mind. I only need very few distractions from stuff that doesn't work, or just have a weird un-intuitive workflow, before I start going nuts. (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde). Once you open up these creative channels and ideas start flowing, you kinda of have limited time before your brain shuts down (at least in my case), or it gets late and you need to go to bed.

Bitwig and Renoise, has been a major gamechanger for me, and gave me the possibility of moving 100% to linux. I have a couple of win vst's running, because no other alternatives offer the workflow I seek, and know is working for me. And once again I really don't mind paying for professional tools if they present something unique and good. I don't spend money on software that is just "old wine on new bottles", and I don't need the newest of the newest versions of everything.

When I edit videos I settle with opensource free alternatives on linux, and the big difference is that I don't do this very often, and here I don't understand why people spend so much money on Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere etc.. But if I where to do this on a daily basis and for a living I think that kdenlive and cinelerra etc would drive me absolutely nuts and make work take double time.
"Arch/i3-wm/Bitwig/Renoise/Guitarix/Airwave/a couple of winVST's"
"i7-6700K 4ghz, gtx910ti, 16gb ram" + "X201s-i7-640LM 2.13ghz, 8gb ram"
"Presonus 22vsl + Scarlett 2i2 2.gen."
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Personally I have no reservations about spending money on good tools, mostly because I make money using them. Even with stuff that is free as in beer I wind up donating a percentage of my income back to those tools if I used them to make money. Ableton and Bitwig have great workflows for working producers that need to bang stuff out on a tight deadline. Sure I can do a lot of the same things of Ardour and Qtractor, but I can do them easier and faster in Ableton. This sounds like a weak argument for sure, but as someone with "media creation" as one of their revenue streams, this matters.

Also, self contained DAWs are great for collaborations. Linux is too modular and I would have a hard time sharing a session with another Linux user, and sharing on Win/MAC is basically impossible. Even exporting a project as stems limits what can be done in collaboration.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

bhilmers wrote:Also, self contained DAWs are great for collaborations. Linux is too modular and I would have a hard time sharing a session with another Linux user, and sharing on Win/MAC is basically impossible. Even exporting a project as stems limits what can be done in collaboration.
I hear you. But that means you can only collaborate w/ people that use the same (expensive) software. They invented open source for that. Same discussion as MS Word versus LaTeX/LibreOffice. ;)

Anyway, from the last replies I deduce that DAW's like Bitwig and Ableton actually do have added value over free DAW's. Since I'm a beginning amateur (like the majority of people who like making make music) I'm not even going to install a trial version of these DAW's. Nor am I going to dig into 200 page manuals to look for the needle in the haystack that is "that thing that Ableton does better and clearer than Ardour" and neither do I think that the average Linuxer should. No negativity intended. I just want to point out that the topic starter does not have to look far and hard for DAW's. They are there and there are but a few one should start out with: Ardour and Qtractor. :)
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I hear you. But that means you can only collaborate w/ people that use the same (expensive) software.
So what? So I only get to collaborate with a million people who use Ableton instead of the handful that might use the same Linux DAW setup I have? There are costs to everything. Owning a computer is a cost. Electricity to power it is a cost. Time invested in learning Linux or any DAW is a cost. I don't see the point. If you are really concerned about open source and free prices, why not only use web applications that you can access at the library for free? Makes no sense to me.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

bhilmers wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:I hear you. But that means you can only collaborate w/ people that use the same (expensive) software.
So what? So I only get to collaborate with a million people who use Ableton instead of the handful that might use the same Linux DAW setup I have? There are costs to everything. Owning a computer is a cost. Electricity to power it is a cost. Time invested in learning Linux or any DAW is a cost. I don't see the point. If you are really concerned about open source and free prices, why not only use web applications that you can access at the library for free? Makes no sense to me.
Touchy, touchy. ;) Another million people use Bitwig, Cubase or Reaper. You'll miss out on collaborating with them too. Just like I do when I use Qtractor. So for collaboration reasons: no need to buy a (popular) DAW. If there were an open format we all wouldn't have to miss out of cooperation. That's the point, the point is not the costs.
GordonS
Established Member

Post by GordonS »

DoosC wrote:Maybe you can find this useful :D
Hmm, for me it seems reliably to give no content.

Possibly something to do with my anti-tracking strategy as I find Google often gets caught by it.
GordonS
Established Member

Post by GordonS »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: I really don't understand people coughing up hundreds of dollars for Ableton or Bitwig. But that's me.
I agree, but there are commercial tools that are reasonably priced, sensible and effective, like Mixbus, Renoise and Reaper, for example.

Maybe now is a time to remind us that we can't have it both ways. We can't complain about lack of commercial products for our chosen platform if we're not prepared to put our hands in our pockets occasionally when a company produces a tool that's good for us, especially when the prices are sane.

(Ah yes ..... No, I don't have any connection with any of those companies, though I did buy and do use two of the three products I mention).
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I wouldn't waste my time on looking for a DAW comparison on Linux.
Sure, everyone who knows what suits best for own use does not need any comparison. However, specially a newbie (like me when starting this thread) needs.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: There are only two "real" Linux DAW's: Ardour and Qtractor. The others are for Windows and/or stupendously intelligence insultingly expen$ive.
That is only your opinnion. This thread would not be this long if that would be accepted as truth by majority of forum members :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Reaper is $60 for semi-pro/hobbyist, Mixbus is $80 when not on sale
for $30, and Bitwig comes with extra instruments and audio content
the others lack, to add value to it's higher prices. These three products actually
compliment each other quite well. For $500, you could have all three,
and have a great and diverse set of tools, from first scratch,
to mastered CD.

Over a two year period, that's $.70 cents a day, to have really great
audio production tools. Someone mentioned 'stupendously expensive' earlier :roll:

Choose your priorities wisely, young grasshoppers...