A/V Linux 1.0

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

A/V Linux 1.0

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey, I had an old hard drive lying around so I decided to try this snapshot distro A/V Linux 1.0: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html.
It's nice.....
here is the creator's info that he posted on the Ardour site:

Hello,

I have just released a Linux “Snapshot” that is an A/V Centric i386 OS based on a much modified and updated Ubuntu 7.10. It features Ardour 2.7.1 SVN4343 with LV2, FREESOUND, FFT_Analysis, and VST Support via DSSI-VST with the VST Path already configured. All development libraries are included with Web page links to Steinberg’s SDK site and the Ardour build page if users want to build ArdourVST. WINE 0.9.52 is included for best VST performance and Window Rendering in ArdourVST. Other audio apps include Audacity 1.3.6, Hydrogen 0.9.4SVN, Rosegarden 1.7.2, Calf Plugin Pack 0.0.17, QSynth 0.3.3 and many more…

A Realtime Kernel is only a repository click away and the system is pre-configured with the PAM mods and an rtirq script as well as a symlinked VST folder in the user home directory.

There is much more detailed info available on the Web page,

IMPORTANT: If you have a look and decide to install, the name “pcuser” should be used for the initial user so that all the tweaks, symlinks, and plugin paths work correctly. Of course use a secure password of your own choosing and you can create additional users post-install if you like.
philip888
Established Member

Re: A/V Linux 1.0

Post by philip888 »

It is very nice I have been using it for about a month on my main DAW.

If you like to create music rather than develop some else's distro this is for you.

Philip
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

Anyone using AV Linux 2.0? How is it performing?
Ángel A. Candelaria Colón
Guitar Professor
https://angelsguitar.com
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

don't use it that much but when I do, it's great....
I'm just not a Deb fan...
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

Great, I think I'll give it a try...
Guitar Professor
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Is there a AVLinux repo available?

Does the software/kernel also work on powerpc?
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

studio32 wrote:Is there a AVLinux repo available?

Does the software/kernel also work on powerpc?
I don't think there is. AVLinux is made of debian testing packages plus some other packages (including the kernel) custum build by the maintainer. The best way to test it is to download the Live DVD from the website.

I don't think it would work on a powerpc.
Guitar Professor
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@studio32

AV Linux is 32bit i386 (i686) only however it features a PAE Kernel so it can utilize more than 4Gb of RAM. It has no repos of it's own and due to the excellent work of the Debian Multimedia GIT team it will probably not ever need it's own. It is intended first and foremost to be image based (like DyneBolic) with the option of 100% compatibilty with Debian for users to choose. Debian Sid and Testing are great to use but tricky to distribute with the frequent breakages and upstream changes so users are presented with a full featured OOTB system and can then decide how "hot and spicy" they like their Debian and what upgrade path (if any) they prefer.