Philharmonia Orch. Samples!

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

briandc
Established Member

Philharmonia Orch. Samples!

Post by briandc »

Might be useful! :)

Philharmonia

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Philharmonia Orch. Samples!

Post by Michael Willis »

Some of the samples used in Virtual Playing Orchestra are derived from Philharmonia. I haven't seriously perused Philharmonia's samples myself, but certainly there are useful things in there.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

License: You are free to use these samples as you wish, including releasing them as part of a commercial work. The only restriction is they must not be sold or made available 'as is' (i.e. as samples or as a sampler instrument).

Licence: This work by Philharmonia Orchestra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Self-contradiction much? What the hell.
Paul Battersby
Established Member

Post by Paul Battersby »

Lyberta wrote: Self-contradiction much? What the hell.
It's worth noting this from a clause in the Creative Commons Licenses:
"No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits."
So it seems to me that the Creative Commons License overrides any additional restrictions.
Paul Battersby
My free orchestral sample library @ http://virtualplaying.com
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

I've e-mailed them asking for removal of NC text, let's see how it goes.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi,many thanks for share samples Philarmonia Orchestra. After extracting the files for each category of tools I see that they are in the mp3 format i presume to facilitate downloading for space issues. Of course, in order to use them in a sample player, such sounds should be converted to the right wav or aiff format ? Otherwise the quality of the compressed format in addition to being degraded does not offer the ability to be loaded on readers compatible with gnu linux ? :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

1) Samples being in a compressed format is a no-go. Don't use them except for anything toy-like. Don't release them into the wild. And please please please don't make a 'real' sample format container, sfz or sf2, out of them and release them into the wild. People will use them and compression artefacts will destroy the sound. It is better not to use them than use compressed material as a source.

2) If a license, be it CC or GPL, states that you shall make no additions or changes to the license and that clause is violated it does not mean you get the pure license. it means the files becomes unlicensed and thus completely proprietary without us having any rights of using them at all.

Bottom line: Stay away from this until both points have changed.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

nilshi wrote:1) Samples being in a compressed format is a no-go. Don't use them except for anything toy-like. Don't release them into the wild. And please please please don't make a 'real' sample format container, sfz or sf2, out of them and release them into the wild. People will use them and compression artefacts will destroy the sound. It is better not to use them than use compressed material as a source.

2) If a license, be it CC or GPL, states that you shall make no additions or changes to the license and that clause is violated it does not mean you get the pure license. it means the files becomes unlicensed and thus completely proprietary without us having any rights of using them at all.

hello nilshi and thanks for the additional information, I will avoid using this material until it is clearly defined the licensing tippology :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
Paul Battersby
Established Member

Post by Paul Battersby »

gennargiu wrote: such sounds should be converted to the right wav or aiff format ?
Converting from mp3 to wav or aiff won't improve the sound quality. It will simply preserve the quality of the mp3.
gennargiu wrote: hello nilshi and thanks for the additional information, I will avoid using this material until it is clearly defined the licensing tippology
The licensing is clearly defined. It is just this:
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

This license is acceptable for Free Cultural Works.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
Paul Battersby
My free orchestral sample library @ http://virtualplaying.com
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

nilshi wrote:1) Samples being in a compressed format is a no-go. Don't use them except for anything toy-like. Don't release them into the wild. And please please please don't make a 'real' sample format container, sfz or sf2, out of them and release them into the wild. People will use them and compression artefacts will destroy the sound. It is better not to use them than use compressed material as a source.

The problem is that there are almost no libre orchestral samples. I'd take mp3 samples over no samples at all.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Paul Battersby wrote:
gennargiu wrote: such sounds should be converted to the right wav or aiff format ?
Converting from mp3 to wav or aiff won't improve the sound quality. It will simply preserve the quality of the mp3.
gennargiu wrote: hello nilshi and thanks for the additional information, I will avoid using this material until it is clearly defined the licensing tippology
The licensing is clearly defined. It is just this:
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

This license is acceptable for Free Cultural Works.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
Hi Paul, All very clear, thank you for the new information on licensing and using these samples. In gnu linux linux sampler reads mp3 format or must be converted to other formats ?