Short questions on patchbays

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Short questions on patchbays

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello all,

- What do you do if only one single headphone socket is available but four musicians are to participate in your recording session?

I once saw a little box, with four headset sockets at the front and one at the back, the latter to connect with the headphone socket on the recording device. Remembering that, I went to the electronics shop where I think I saw just such a device and asked. But they looked at me as if they saw water burning.

- What do you do if you've got only one single audio input and only one single audio output available, but two or three mini-jacks/RCAs loose ends left with nowhere to go?

My guess is that you'd need some sort of patchbay, in this case.

Thing is, though, that the only 'patchbays' my favourite search engine shows are either for XLR (microphones) or for full phone jacks. Nothing of the kind to solve the problem of audio in and and audio out being "filled", but several mini-jacks/RCAs left dangling still. A cheap splitter the sole suggestion on offer, apparently.

Has anybody on LM ever seen such devices as described above? Or even used one?

Veerstryngh Thynner
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Short questions on patchbays

Post by CrocoDuck »

Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:Has anybody on LM ever seen such devices as described above? Or even used one?
Yes, this one (seems like they changed color now).
dormirj
Established Member

Post by dormirj »

yeah, i'm using that same one in black, works perfectly for jamsessions without "proper" studio.

greetings;
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Wow, Crocoduck, dormirj and Luc,

Thank you all so much, guys. A considerably greater result than actually expected.

That JamHub especially a revelation: today the very first time I clasp my eyes on it. Never seen anything like it before. Alas, though, there's no budgetary room for one, sadly, at this moment. Yet definitely something to keep in mind for the foreseeable future!

But I'm most specifically chuffed with CrocoDuck's pointer to that Behringer MicroAmp. I really tried every keyword I could think of, but all the advice I ever got was for a splitter (of which several are already available). However, still one more question to ask.

We're talking a Lenovo desktop computer now, with, at the rear,
Selection_062.png
Selection_062.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 981 times

Blue (audio input, mini-jack) and Green (audio output, mini-jack) are already taken: let's say by loudspeakers (audio out) and guitar multi-effect processor output (audio in). But suppose I want to record my old Gem 5-7 electric piano as well, plus some stuff from an analogue multitracker, for instance. In that case, I'd actually need two more audio inputs.

The only thing to do, presently, is taking out the guitar multi-effect processor and putting in electric piano instead. When finished with that, electric piano is to be taken out and analogue multitracker to be put in. And once the stuff on there has been dealt with, back in goes the guitar multi-effect processor again - if necessary, depending on how complicated the project at hand is. Upon which the whole cycle probably has to be repeated at least once.

This is all rather impractical, of course. So how would you guys work around such a situation? Might there be some little box similar to Behringer's, but doing for mini-jack/RCA assignment what Behringer's does for headset amplification?

Veerstryngh Thynner
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:This is all rather impractical, of course. So how would you guys work around such a situation? Might there be some little box similar to Behringer's, but doing for mini-jack/RCA assignment what Behringer's does for headset amplification?
Yes. I think any mixer will do the job really, as long as you have the required cables/adapters. Apparently, Behringher does a mini mixer which is pretty much the headphone amp we posted above, but the other way around (4 ins, 1 out).
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Maybe you can hook up the guitar multi-effect processor to the Mic input (pink) and the electric piano to the Line input (blue). But I am really not sure. Be careful.