Cat Dragged Me In

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Zeugitai
Established Member

Cat Dragged Me In

Post by Zeugitai »

...Now in Cleveland Ohio ... haplessly hoping that I can get Ubuntu Studio to work for me ... and failing, so far. New installation on my Lenovo W510 ... But my M-Audio M-Track is detected by Ardour 5, and the meter shows deflection in response to strumming on my guitar, but no sound comes out. Trying to run QSampler yields this error message: 19:25:22.171 linuxsampler
19:25:22.180 Could not start server. Sorry.
lscp_client_create: cmd: connect: Connection refused

I want desperately to get all this to work. I do not want to go back to microsoft windows. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to work these things out on my own without guidance. I searched for 'the definitive reference' guidebook or tutorial for users who aspire to use Linux for audio production but found no such salvational resource. And I do not have years of experience with Linux to work from, obviously.

All this is to say that I belong in this forum like a wanderer in the Saraha 'belongs' in an oasis. I am hoping this is it.

--Which of the forums is for lost souls who are trying to make the newest version of Ubuntu Studio and its arsenal of software (QSampler, Ardour 5) work? I really need a for-starters, step-by-step set of instructions to get Ardour 5 to receive inputs and produce audible ouput.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: Cat Dragged Me In

Post by rghvdberg »

Don't worry we'll get it working.
The thing you ask here has been solved many times. But it's a bit hard to give a general advice because each user has a specific setup of hardware.

You're hardware works. The rest is routing.
Just wondering what you use for monitoring? Headphones, speakers? And what are they connected to?

For help with recorders and sequencers
viewforum.php?f=1

If you got time hop on irc (freenode)
Lot's of knowledgeable people on #opensourcemusicians and #ardour.

For serious music production take a look at kxstudio. It's an addon to any Ubuntu or Debian version.
Takes only a few minutes and you'll have the latest versions of all audio software.
It changed my life (no kidding, it's that awesome).
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

Follow steps *carefully*!!

Cheers
Rob
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

rghvdberg wrote:Don't worry we'll get it working.
The thing you ask here has been solved many times. But it's a bit hard to give a general advice because each user has a specific setup of hardware.

You're hardware works. The rest is routing.
Just wondering what you use for monitoring? Headphones, speakers? And what are they connected to?

For help with recorders and sequencers
viewforum.php?f=1

If you got time hop on irc (freenode)
Lot's of knowledgeable people on #opensourcemusicians and #ardour.

For serious music production take a look at kxstudio. It's an addon to any Ubuntu or Debian version.
Takes only a few minutes and you'll have the latest versions of all audio software.
It changed my life (no kidding, it's that awesome).
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

Follow steps *carefully*!!

Cheers
Rob
Rob: Thanks. In fact, I'm starting to get results. I hardly know how, though. I opened qjackctl but did nothing with it -- no connections and did not 'start' it -- then opened Ardour 5 and got sound and recorded through m-audio m-track. How did that happen? I do not know. It's the voodoo-like mystery of all these bits and pieces of software that is very unsettling. I'm the type who almost needs to know how something is done before i can enjoy it and put it out of mind for the sake of trying to compose and record music. Given the extreme fragmentation of the software situation on Linux, it's a wonder anyone knows enough about enough of it to be able to know what works and how, and which pieces of software are negligible/nonessential. There appear to be too many 'red herrings'. For example, how was I able to record in Ardour without doing anything with jack? I can only wish that one of those types of savant~people would write the definitive guidebook to audio production on Linux Ubuntu 2017 from the standpoint of the current state of the art. The various tutorials I have found are hoary and long in the teeth. Thanks for your encouragement!
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

42low wrote:Welcome!

If you ever can't get it to work, you can also install the regular Ubuntu and then install the wanted software. That's how i did it.
But i trust that the professionals overhere will get you far enough. Just ask.
I've got Ubuntu Studio 17 installed, and I think I have managed to update and upgrade everything. I just want Ardour and QSampler to work. I need to know how to make them work because they do not just work off the bat. I'm having trouble finding the definitive sequence of steps to take to get them working. Do you know if anyone has been so kind as to write down this sequence for the benefit of all those like myself for whom the inner workings of Ubuntu audio production are opaque? I'm sure it isn't too difficult ... for those in the know. There is nothing about my situation that is unique. I have the newest updated Ubuntu Studio with its complement of software like Ardour 5 and QSampler and I just want these things to work and need to know what steps to take. It's frustrating enough that I am now finally understanding the reason that almost no audio hardware maker provides support for Linux systems. How many people in the world today have nothing but time on their hands with which to make a full and complete study of the state of Linux operating systems, their inner workings and complexities, their many and various streams of development, all just to be able to record music? Don't mind me. I'm frustrated. I am also now seeing why people are willing to pay the bucks for a macbook pro...
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Hello,

I know in the beginning everything can be overwhelming. I have gone on youtube and found how-to videos for many
linux audio software. If you do a search in the forum you can find some answers, too. I found quite a few nice videos
about ardour5. Ardour has its own way of doing things, but can be worth learning, I believe. Just opened up youtube
and found quite a few great looking more recent ardour5 tutorials. WIll have to look at those myself.

Hope you can hang in here. Many will be willing to help you as will I, where I can.

Good fortune,

aicram
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

aicram wrote:Hello,

I know in the beginning everything can be overwhelming. I have gone on youtube and found how-to videos for many
linux audio software. If you do a search in the forum you can find some answers, too. I found quite a few nice videos
about ardour5. Ardour has its own way of doing things, but can be worth learning, I believe. Just opened up youtube
and found quite a few great looking more recent ardour5 tutorials. WIll have to look at those myself.

Hope you can hang in here. Many will be willing to help you as will I, where I can.

Good fortune,

aicram
Thank you. Truly. I'll keep looking.
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

aicram wrote:Hello,

Good fortune,

aicram
Thanks. I'll do some more searching. By the way, which of the LinuxMusican forums is the one that is set up to handle 'newbies' and their quandaries?
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

I know newbies are very welcome here. Otherwise Rob had good suggestions, too. I would feel
comfortable asking in the ubuntu forums, as well. Linuxquestions forum might be another possibility.

Just found this tutorial :http://libremusicproduction.com/tutoria ... m-together This
looks quite good.

For me this has been the best forum to ask for my audio help. I was a struggling linux audio newbie when I joined this
forum and slowly came a long way. Most everyone else here who is not a newbie is more savvy than I.

Wish you well.

Sincerely,
aicram
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

42low wrote:If i'm right there is no 'newbies' subforum. Only the "Glad your here" one.

Everyone simply askes his questions in the related subject-subforums.

Perhaps here there are no 'newbies' because there are no 'oldies' :lol: and all are equally respected?
On many forums 'newbies' have to kiss ass of the 'oldies'. That's something i've never experienced here. I've only experienced respect here.
The open-source mentality? :wink:
Sounds good!
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Zeugitai writes: I searched for 'the definitive reference' guidebook or tutorial for users who aspire to use Linux for audio production but found no such salvational resource. And I do not have years of experience with Linux to work from, obviously.
Welcome Zeugitai!

I started off worse than you: with zero knowledge on Linux, around seven years ago. Just marvelling at how stable and reliable it is.

I sometimes walk into a bookshop and also have a look at the shelves marked 'Computer' (or something the like). One title I remember, from such an expedition, and one that wouldn't spring to mind, in first instance. But what I still know of the latter is that it's a door-stopper of a book with, most definitely, the word 'Linux' in the title. And so, with curiosity thus kindled, I did a quick search.

And here they both are, on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... 7PVVNKZIBM

https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Bible-Chri ... 1118999878

If the latter, especially, doesn't hold the specific information you're looking for, I'd eat my hat (if I had one)! Moreover, by way of bonus: here's an extensive list of beginner's guides, to peruse at your leisure. Also on Amazon.com!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... +beginners

Good luck.
42low writes: Perhaps here there are no 'newbies' because there are no 'oldies'
Yes there are! Quite a few, actually. Oldies, I mean. Even some oldie newbies, believe it or not... :D
42low writes: I've only experienced respect here.
Sorry to disappoint you, 42low, but I can tell, from bitter experience, that bullying on LM has not totally been eradicated, in places.

Veerstryngh Thynner
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

I appreciate the help and the references! Please do not misunderstand me in what i am about to say. I thought I was a musician, or at least trying to be one. But in the past few weeks it's been all about Linux/Ubuntu, trying to get it set up and working, trying to figure out why problems happen and how to fix them, trying to remember various terminal commands, and lots more, none of which has anything to do with making music.

For example, Guitarix will not install. I try and try and it will not install. I get this string of 'error' messages every time:
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/guitarix_2%3a0.35.6+git20170910v5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libgxw.so.0.1', which is also in package libgxw0 0.35.2-2
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/guitarix_2%3a0.35.6+git20170910v5_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What? Why?
Anyway, I am not making any music, and must confess to feeling a growing sense of negativity toward Linux/Ubuntu as a platform for musicians. I realize that others have succeeded where I am failing, but it's not for lack of trying.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Do yourself a favour and add the kxstudio repos to your ubuntu (if they are for your version).. I think you'll like the experience a lot better
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Zeugitai wrote: Anyway, I am not making any music, and must confess to feeling a growing sense of negativity toward Linux/Ubuntu as a platform for musicians. I realize that others have succeeded where I am failing, but it's not for lack of trying.
Zeugitai, many of us have had the same frustrations. If you can get through this difficult part, it will get much easier. I don't think Linux audio is "fragmented", but the documentation to help people get started in an easy way doesn't really exist except in little pieces.

Everyone here is giving you good advice. The #1 thing to make everything painless is to install the KXStudio repositories. You don't even need to open a terminal, you can do it 100% in the GUI. Just install the two deb files from here to add KXStudio repos to your Ubuntu Studio. Open Synaptic, refresh the package list, and add Guitarix (or whatever you want) or any of the meta packages listed here.

And if you haven't seen it, look at libremusicproduction.com. It is probably the most helpful resource available for helping users get familiar with this strange world of Linux audio.
listenable at c6a7.org
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Maybe you've chosen a bad distro for starting?
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Zeugitai wrote: For example, Guitarix will not install. I try and try and it will not install. I get this string of 'error' messages every time:
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/guitarix_2%3a0.35.6+git20170910v5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libgxw.so.0.1', which is also in package libgxw0 0.35.2-2
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/guitarix_2%3a0.35.6+git20170910v5_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What? Why?
It's a packaging miss-match between guitarix in KxStudio and Ubuntu-studio / debain.
In newer debian distros guitarix is split into several packages, while in KxStudio all is in one.
Now, to upgrade to a package from KxStudio you need to remove first all installed guitarix related packages from your distro in order to avoid conflicts.
Open your package manager (Synaptic) and search for "guitarix". Remove all packages you've installed from there. (guitarix, guitarix-common, guitarix-doc, guitarix-ladspa, guitarix-lv2, gxw-glade, libgxw0, libgxw-dev, libgxwmm0, libgxwmm-dev)

After that you could install the one from KxStudio.
On the road again.