Why are the Calf manuals not published online?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ufug
Established Member

Why are the Calf manuals not published online?

Post by ufug »

Are the Calf manuals really not available online anywhere?

Apparently they are installed somewhere on my box, although the path suggested on calf-studio-gear.org didn't work for me (/usr/local/share/doc/calf/index.html). Of course they are living somewhere else, I will just have to find them.

But that was last night. I looked online this morning (I spend 3.5 hours a day commuting and try to use that time work on music in some way, usually by reading these forums or LMP or something else that will give me some ideas I can use later) assuming the Calf manuals would be available somewhere but I can't find them. I see there are html files on GitHub, but that's not a very practical way to try and read them.

If the end user manuals are already html, and Calf has a (attractive!) website, does anybody know if there a reason they are not posted on their website?

Almost all of the Calf plugins are absolute treasures and 90% of the time the controls are obvious, but maybe there could be an easier way to learn more when you need to ;)

Thanks!
listenable at c6a7.org
finotti
Established Member

Re: Why are the Calf manuals not published online?

Post by finotti »

ufug wrote:Are the Calf manuals really not available online anywhere?

Apparently they are installed somewhere on my box, although the path suggested on calf-studio-gear.org didn't work for me (/usr/local/share/doc/calf/index.html). Of course they are living somewhere else, I will just have to find them.

But that was last night. I looked online this morning (I spend 3.5 hours a day commuting and try to use that time work on music in some way, usually by reading these forums or LMP or something else that will give me some ideas I can use later) assuming the Calf manuals would be available somewhere but I can't find them. I see there are html files on GitHub, but that's not a very practical way to try and read them.

If the end user manuals are already html, and Calf has a (attractive!) website, does anybody know if there a reason they are not posted on their website?

Almost all of the Calf plugins are absolute treasures and 90% of the time the controls are obvious, but maybe there could be an easier way to learn more when you need to ;)

Thanks!
I am not sure if they are available online, but in my system (installed from KXStuido repo's) they are in /usr/share/doc/calf/index.html.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Absolutely agree, 42low. I don't mind playing around to figure things out, but a simple manual gives us more power and also saves time to spend on making music.

Just one example: the ASC control on the limiter, and the unlabeled knob next to it. I have never seen anything labeled "ASC" on a limiter, and I cannot really hear clearly what they do. Perhaps it would come in handy to know!

A limiter is easy. Some of the other tools are much more complex.

I am not complaining. I love a lot of Calf tools and am thankful for them. But if html manuals exist for Calf, and they have a website, why not put the manuals on the website (like LSP does)?
listenable at c6a7.org
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

ufug wrote: Just one example: the ASC control on the limiter, and the unlabeled knob next to it. I have never seen anything labeled "ASC" on a limiter, and I cannot really hear clearly what they do. Perhaps it would come in handy to know!
A few month ago,I had to "locate calf | grep html" to find the answer to this exact question :lol: I then put a link to the found index.html (in /usr/share/doc/calf/ as finotti posted) in "my documents"
ufug wrote: if html manuals exist for Calf, and they have a website, why not put the manuals on the website (like LSP does)?
You can post a new issue here and ask for that, they maybe will accept it and future users in your case won't be lost like you were :D
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

Hey!
ufug wrote:Are the Calf manuals really not available online anywhere?
As barbouze already pointed out this forum is probably not a good place to express your concerns since I don't visit it frequently.

I added a link to the website including a warning: Please note that the manuals might be outdated, show a different version than installed or are otherwise unsatisfying.

http://calf-studio-gear.org/doc/
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Those manuals are great. I can see myself using Calf plugins far more often having read them.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Markus wrote:
I added a link to the website including a warning: Please note that the manuals might be outdated, show a different version than installed or are otherwise unsatisfying.

http://calf-studio-gear.org/doc/
THANK YOU MARKUS! Even incomplete, the user manuals are a helpful and essential resource!

I appreciate you seeing this here and responding even though it is not the optimal channel. I just thought someone here might have a good tip for me, not just Calf devs. There was already a similar issue marked as closed on GitHub, and I didn't feel like signing up for yet another account just to report it until I looked around a little.

Since I have your ear anyway, is there a way to donate to Calf? I get a great benefit from these tools and there is no obvious way on the website to offer support.
listenable at c6a7.org
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

Hey!

Good to see it helps.

About donations - there's no chance for donation. I can only speak for myself (and not for Krzysztof, Christian and all others) but there's a lot of other aspects pushing me, money is none of them. If you really want to throw it around feel free to donate to EFF, ACLU or other groups trying to save the whales ... erm ... world.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Markus wrote:
If you really want to throw it around feel free to donate to EFF, ACLU or other groups trying to save the whales ... erm ... world.
Ha ha! I don't have much extra to "throw around" but I like to show support. If we ever meet, I will thank you in beer.
listenable at c6a7.org
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

Be careful, mooching around in Seattle atm ,)
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Markus wrote:Be careful, mooching around in Seattle atm ,)
Ha! PM if you make it down to the Bay Area.
listenable at c6a7.org